Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Tires for Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/18, 06:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,022 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
. . . How many miles do you drive each year? I would say be ready to get about 8k-10k miles out of daily driven RE-71s with 3-4 track days. That may mean new rubber every year. . .
oops, missed this one . . . I haven't been driving much lately, since I now work from home so commute is about 20 feet . . . maybe 5K miles/year . . . but yeah I would like to get two years out of them. I got 2 years out of the S04's including several track days, which really chewed up the fronts.

This shouldn't be such a hard decision! LOL
Old 1/2/18, 09:51 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
275/35 is the size I would go with on a 19x9.5. If you're wanting a lot of street use something like the MPSS is probably a safe bet, 200 or lower treadwear tires are hard to judge for that
Old 1/5/18, 05:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by fourdegrees11
. . . . MPSS is probably a safe bet . . . .
yeah I hear nothing but good about those, the price is about the same as the RE-71R's and they are available in a lot of sizes . . . but probably not quite as good on track as the Bridgestones . . .
Old 2/28/18, 05:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Decision time is here on tires! Any new thoughts or suggestions?

What I'd really like to find, is some RE-71R's for about $200 each . . . ;-)
Old 2/28/18, 05:41 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Wouldn't we all love to find a deal like that.
Old 2/28/18, 08:19 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
Decision time is here on tires! Any new thoughts or suggestions?

What I'd really like to find, is some RE-71R's for about $200 each . . . ;-)
Originally Posted by EF1
Wouldn't we all love to find a deal like that.
I know, right? I got a great deal on my RS-3s, $130 per tire. They will be done after this season though. Hoping the prices of RS-4s come down some in the fall or next spring.
Old 3/1/18, 03:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

. . . I got a great deal on my RS-3s, $130 per tire. . . . . .
yeah, and you mentioned that at the time, and I snoozed on it, and by the time I woke up they were gone! wishing I had grabbed a set of those . . .

right now I am thinking I will bite the bullitt and shell out the $1,300 for a set of RE-71R's, at least it's cheaper than a new car right?
Old 3/1/18, 06:22 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

I missed the close out on the RS-3's as well, but I did get a set of the Nexen NFERA SUR4's on closeout last fall for around $200 each in 275 35 19. I just got them mounted on a set of new Apex Racing 19 x 10" wheels last weekend. I can't wait for it to warm up a little more so I can bolt them on.
Old 3/1/18, 07:09 PM
Banned

yeah, and you mentioned that at the time, and I snoozed on it, and by the time I woke up they were gone! wishing I had grabbed a set of those . . .

right now I am thinking I will bite the bullitt and shell out the $1,300 for a set of RE-71R's, at least it's cheaper than a new car right?
Those are top dog in AutoX, the only down side for road racing is they peak soon, then grease over a bit from what I hear. They work really well on lighter cars. Some of the guys I work with who race say lap 2 or 3 out of 8 will be fastest, then lap times drop a bit. But it's a great tire for sure. Curios to see how you like them.

Originally Posted by EF1
I missed the close out on the RS-3's as well, but I did get a set of the Nexen NFERA SUR4's on closeout last fall for around $200 each in 275 35 19. I just got them mounted on a set of new Apex Racing 19 x 10" wheels last weekend. I can't wait for it to warm up a little more so I can bolt them on.
I've been curious about those. $200 is not bad! Looking forward to see how you like them.

One note:
Remember to heat cycle your new tires guys. My first event I was loose and sliding all over the place. Second event they were hooked up. They will need to cool off over night to set. I thought maybe letting it cool off for 2 hours over lunch would do the trick, but I've never been more sideways at the track than that afternoon. It took over night as advertised.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 3/1/18 at 07:19 PM.
Old 3/1/18, 07:41 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Can you get them warm enough on the street to heat cycle them before going to the track?
Old 3/2/18, 05:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

. . . for road racing is they peak soon, then grease over a bit from what I hear. . . .

Remember to heat cycle your new tires guys. My first event I was loose and sliding all over the place. . . . .
That greasy thing bothers me a bit, maybe I should keep looking. That was what I didn't like about the S04's that I have now. I'm pretty sure that combined with my advance track acting up spun me a couple times, which is a major confidence killer.

Originally Posted by EF1
Can you get them warm enough on the street to heat cycle them before going to the track?
I was wondering the same thing. I doubt it . . . maybe on an open road at 4 AM or something, with a lot of swerving and hard braking?
Old 3/4/18, 06:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EF1
I think you'd have to get into a lot of trouble with the local smokey in order to do that.

That greasy thing bothers me a bit, maybe I should keep looking. That was what I didn't like about the S04's that I have now. I'm pretty sure that combined with my advance track acting up spun me a couple times, which is a major confidence killer.
Don't get me wrong, the overall grip with RE71s will be way higher than with S04s. I was just trying to say the grip vs temperature curve will still have a similar shape.

The Advancetrack issues still persist, huh? Not good. Can you switch it to Advancetrack off and use ABS only setting? Or is that issue also messing with ABS?
That's what I do, 7 second hold at standstill with brakes on. You risk loosing it, but no better way to learn limit handling than switching it all off and slowly working your way up in speed. This way you learn to anticipate the oversteer/understeer and the correction required.

In this video right around 5:50 I had to make a huge correction (greasy not heat cycled tires). I think the only reason I was able to save it was a lot of time with system off

Old 3/4/18, 07:21 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

I have done a bit of research into heat cycling tires. Tire Rack will heat cycle them in some kind of oven before sending them to you for $15 per tire. The interesting thing is they say that it is only necessary on race compound tires. They do not recommend the service for 200 tread wear tires like the RS-3's or Nexen NFERA SURG's. They say there is really no benefit to heat cycling a 200 tread wear tire.
Old 3/4/18, 08:10 PM
Banned

That kinda makes sense though. For slicks (40 thread wear) is a must. With 200 thread wear tire you won't notice the difference on the street. But they will be noticeably sticker on your second track day than on the first. Just something to keep in mind I guess.
Old 3/5/18, 07:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

. . . The Advancetrack issues still persist, huh? Not good. Can you switch it to Advancetrack off and use ABS only setting? Or is that issue also messing with ABS? . . .
Yeah, I always turn it full off with the long hold of the button. Leaned to do that early on, after the "sport" mode got the rear brakes way too hot for my comfort. But it freaks out and lights up "service advance track" on the dash; and apparently turns itself back on, in some condition that I haven't quite identified. It is a known thing with tracking these cars; apparently worse on some than others.

It used to only happen on the track, but last fall I had it happen on the street a couple times. I did get a new clue recently that it might actually be caused by one of the wires hitting the exhaust, but haven't gotten under there yet to follow the wire and see if that is the problem.

I haven't watched the video yet because I am at work, will enjoy that some evening with speakers soon!

Meanwhile I keep second-guessing myself about the tires; now thinking the MPSS might be the best compromise . . . and there is snow on the ground and more in the forecast, so I still have some time.

Last edited by Bert; 3/5/18 at 07:51 AM.
Old 3/5/18, 05:38 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Side note...I do track days with S550 guys, and they can change drive modes on the fly, while us S197 guys have to stop, foot on the brake, then tap the button...UGH
Old 3/7/18, 10:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
Side note...I do track days with S550 guys, and they can change drive modes on the fly, while us S197 guys have to stop, foot on the brake, then tap the button...UGH
good point, if you forget to switch it off before getting on track then all you can do is double tap for sport mode. Unless you come in and miss out a lap. Would be nice to just be able to enter all the modes while in motion
Old 3/15/18, 08:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
For sale: $1600 wheel/tire package. Used Forgestar F14 18x10 +42 w/mounted/balanced new Hankook RS4 285/35-18 square setup. Tires bought for MVP Tracktime at Daytona December 2017 but event was cancelled (zero trackdays use) message me
Old 3/16/18, 08:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SGwick
For sale: $1600 wheel/tire package. Used Forgestar F14 18x10 +42 w/mounted/balanced new Hankook RS4 285/35-18 square setup. Tires bought for MVP Tracktime at Daytona December 2017 but event was cancelled (zero trackdays use) message me
Hey man, long time no talk! How've you been brother??

Still got the car? Any luck with overheat issues?
Old 3/18/18, 06:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Hi 5.monster, after the radiator change, grill change, oil cooler install, water wetter & DI water, and finally removing the AC condenser I finally conquered my overheating demons lol. My last trackdays we're Mosport and Lime Rock last year, MVP Tracktime cancelled last minute in Dec 2017.

I actually recently traded the Stang and got a 2018 ss 1le Camaro, which I never though I'd say. I'm still learning about the car but being in a 1le track FB group and forum pages starting to change it towards corner carving. I am finding out I'm not having to do much since technology has come a long way since my 2011 Mustang :-) lol

Quick Reply: Tires for Track Days