The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Mustang Motorsports (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f660/)
-   -   Race tires dangerous for a novice? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f660/race-tires-dangerous-novice-539379/)

Bert 11/5/15 05:56 AM

Race tires dangerous for a novice?

On my local Craig's List there is a set of four 275/35-18 Toyo R888's, used but supposedly with about 60% life left, on GT500 18x9.5" wheels, for $250 for the set . . . very tempting as a cheap set of track day wheels / tires.

But I am a little concerned that I might get myself into trouble, since these do not make any noise like the street tires I am used to. On the other hand, I am a little frustrated with my street tires and it would be fun to see how some good tires really work.

Then there is the other problem of finding a place to store them indoors through the winter but I can probably find a spot in my already full basement.

Thoughts?

5.M0NSTER 11/5/15 10:47 AM

If you're not too experiences with the car at the limits I'd stay away. As you mentioned they don't make nose, and when they loose grip, they do so a lot more abruptly. I wouldn't recommend going that route unless you feel pretty confident handling oversteer in your car.

The other issue is size difference. I don't know what size you are currently using, but these will be shorter. For me with 255/40-19 these would be ~1.5" shorter, which would make my already short gearing with 3.73 rear end even shorter. My track tires are 275/40-19. With those this tire would be ~2.1" shorter.

Just something to consider.

laserred38 11/5/15 11:02 AM

$250 for the set? Who cares! Buy them and flip them.

dmichaels 11/6/15 08:53 PM

You'd probably be fine on 888's. They aren't like Hoosiers or BFG R1's. Good grip and for that price you can't beat it! If you don't go for it can you send me the link cause I'll buy them... Need another set of track wheels

Joeywhat 11/6/15 09:09 PM

The need like it depends on how aggressive you drive... Obviously if you're running it to the ragged edge you might run into issues, but if you're conservative than I don't see any problems. Just work up to the breaking poibtpoint, take it and easy and learn the tires.

laserred38 11/7/15 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by dmichaels
You'd probably be fine on 888's. They aren't like Hoosiers or BFG R1's. Good grip and for that price you can't beat it! If you don't go for it can you send me the link cause I'll buy them... Need another set of track wheels

Right? Lol I'll take them for $250!

Bert 11/9/15 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by dmichaels (Post 6953183)

Hi, sorry I'm a little slow to reply, I have not grabbed them yet because I'm not sure where I would store them over the winter . . . we are in the middle of moving some stuff around in the house . . . . anyway go ahead and grab them if you want them, I'll look for the link later, but if you search Boston Craig's List you should be able to find them, I think the guy was in Waltham IIRC

Bert 11/11/15 05:39 AM

darn, I was super busy over the weekend and didn't do anything about the wheels/tires, now the CL ad has expired . . . just e-mailed the guy to see if he still has them, will update later

Glenn 11/11/15 06:18 AM

Anything can be more dangerous depending on how not smart you drive. If you put new tires on and think you can automatically take a turn at twice the speed as before, well your probably not going to make it. You will have a slight learning curve no pun intended.

Chad@Amp'D 11/11/15 08:43 AM

That's a great price if they are really in that condition.