Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Tori all cleaned up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/12, 08:21 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Tori all cleaned up!!!

Marilyn has been getting too much love lately, so I figured I'd spend some time on Tori over the weekend. I never got the chance to fully buff her since getting her, since her swirls/marring from the dealer were very minor.

So this weekend, I clayed her, then used the Flex with a white CCS pad for 90% of the car, then orange CCS for the remaining 10% or fewer spots. Didn't take me too long, since I already buffed some of the car a month ago. Anyways, applied Glossworkz Glaze, Blacklight, Jetseal, then final LSP was Dodo Supernatural. Clearbra areas got only Blackfire Wet Diamond. I feel that this sealant works the best on the film.

Rims and Tires were cleaned with Opticlean, dressed with V7 (rims) and Poorboys Bold n Bright (tires and inner fender wheel wells).

One thing I did want to note, is the power of VINEGAR. Yes, distilled, white vinegar. $1.00 at Walmart or elsewhere. Why did I need this? The caked on, crusted on, seemed-like-permanent water etching from the dealer that I never got a chance to remove before (too lazy). Tori sat on the showroom floor, but it was in no doubt "washed and detailed" by, as you all know, very inexperienced dealership would-be "detailers". (How else would my swirls have got on there initially???). Anyways, I hat etch marks on the wiper stems, the windows, the chrome trim, and the black plastic trim. I knew from reading somewhere, years ago, that vinegar did the trick...I just never got the chance to try it. So I used it full strength with an old mf towel, dabbed some on, cleaned everything I mentioned above with it. I was able to remove about 95% of the etching. I was very pleased. I'll go over the remaining 5% tonight or this weekend.

So just a little helpful tip for you guys... Vinegar. As a window cleaner, trim cleaner, etc. Works awesome for stubborn etched areas. Now that I am etch free, I will proceed to seal the trim areas with Techniq C4.

On to pics. NO HDR! I wanted to showcase Tori in all her "bare" glory. Silver Moon is the name of her paint. I love the metallic. Note that her final LSP is Supernatural. Pics were taken early this morning, I was advised that dawn and dusk are the BEST times to take photos of light colored (white/silver) paint... any other time, the color appears "washed-out".

Name:  DSC_0382.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  119.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0383.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  118.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0384.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  99.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0385.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  90.6 KB

Name:  DSC_0386.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0387.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  79.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0388.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  108.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0389.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  101.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0392.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  145.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0393.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  108.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0394.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  118.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0396.jpg
Size:  56.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0398.jpg
Size:  57.1 KB
Old 6/12/12, 08:32 AM
FR500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice! And anytime from sunup to sundown is hard because of all the light. But early morning & late evening and under the lights at night. My car always looks like a pool of white paint and i just wanna jump in sometimes
Old 6/12/12, 09:50 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by CCTking
Nice! And anytime from sunup to sundown is hard because of all the light. But early morning & late evening and under the lights at night. My car always looks like a pool of white paint and i just wanna jump in sometimes
yeah white and silver are the hardest to photograph accurately. They look MUCH better in person.
Old 6/13/12, 05:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tori is looking sharper than a knife edge!
Old 6/13/12, 06:28 PM
BB3
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent work Sir.------Bill
Old 6/13/12, 08:38 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by DaGonz
Tori is looking sharper than a knife edge!
Originally Posted by BB3
Excellent work Sir.------Bill
Lol thanks guys. It's a lot of work... But it's very rewarding... In fact I just washed Marilyn tonight again. Dang dust and crud just finds a way to stick to dark paints. Ugh
Old 6/13/12, 08:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once again, everything you touch looks amazing!

On, and on the subject of vinegar, my boss at the used car lot I work at is a pretty old fashion car guy, he's been in the business for 28 years now and he always has a bottle of vinegar on hand at the lot and swears by it for water spots/etching. He says it's what they always used on show cars and what not 'back in the day.'
Old 6/13/12, 09:04 PM
BB3
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FromZto5

Lol thanks guys. It's a lot of work... But it's very rewarding... In fact I just washed Marilyn tonight again. Dang dust and crud just finds a way to stick to dark paints. Ugh
You don't have to tell me Zto5. I'm right there with you. LOL------Bill
Old 6/15/12, 07:27 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Kevin509
Once again, everything you touch looks amazing!

On, and on the subject of vinegar, my boss at the used car lot I work at is a pretty old fashion car guy, he's been in the business for 28 years now and he always has a bottle of vinegar on hand at the lot and swears by it for water spots/etching. He says it's what they always used on show cars and what not 'back in the day.'
Thanks Kevin.

Yeah all that hard work I did on Marilyn the last 2 days, put her in the car show, it got a bunch of dust and pollen(?) on her from just sitting at the show for 2 hours. Go figure.
Old 6/15/12, 07:39 AM
FR500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5

Thanks Kevin.

Yeah all that hard work I did on Marilyn the last 2 days, put her in the car show, it got a bunch of dust and pollen(?) on her from just sitting at the show for 2 hours. Go figure.
Thats the worst! Spend hours shining to perfection to head to a show or go on a cruise with the buds, or even for a day/night out on the town. Only to be covered with dust, dirt, pollen, and who knows what else.