Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Tips for Black car care

Search this Thread

Old 4/23/06, 08:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

My car is Black. And as we all know black looks the best on a car when it's clean, but getting it into that condition is the hard part. And since I am the ONLY person on EARTH who keeps a 2005 V6 Mustang as their pleasure car I want to keep it in pleasure car condition.

Now my main question is scatches. There are scratches up the gazoo on this thing. I guess in the clear coat right? (It's not actually a scratch in the paint.) I'm pretty sure I didn't make most of them and alot seem to have been there since I got the car from the dealer!!! The rear bumper is horrible!!!!! It looks like someone did a crap buffer wheel job and made a million circluar scratches in the bumper. Now all I have done is use microfiber cloths with detailer and a sponge/wax applicator so these didn't come from me.

Anyway, what is the best way to get these scratches out and make a black finish look tip-top.....for the five seconds black is clean?

Thanks,

Old 4/24/06, 12:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Just you wait...you'll be reading a lot of "Zaino this, Zaino that" on this thread very soon.
Old 4/24/06, 05:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(areaseven @ April 24, 2006, 1:45 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Just you wait...you'll be reading a lot of "Zaino this, Zaino that" on this thread very soon.
[/b][/quote]
Here's the "Zaino this..."- I have a black Stang. She's 10 months old and was covered in swirl marks and scratches from day one. I used Zaino a few weeks ago and wow, what a difference! The Z5 was awesome. Most swirl marks are gone and the scratches look 100 times better now, not gone, but so much less noticeable. Good luck, hope all goes well no matter what you try. Gotta love a black car!
Old 4/24/06, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(65205 @ April 24, 2006, 7:48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Here's the "Zaino this..."- I have a black Stang. She's 10 months old and was covered in swirl marks and scratches from day one. I used Zaino a few weeks ago and wow, what a difference! The Z5 was awesome. Most swirl marks are gone and the scratches look 100 times better now, not gone, but so much less noticeable. Good luck, hope all goes well no matter what you try. Gotta love a black car!
[/b][/quote]

LOL. I do love black. I have a heat activated wax called satin gloss. It works really well, My buddy told me and he runs a detailing shop, but it needs to be 60+ degrees and in sunlight for best results.

I waxed it maybe three weeks ago with him, but it was cloudy, in the 50s, and breezy. So I don't think the wax was in it's best form because all the scratches are still there and very noticable. Can I wax it again so soon, or should I just wait a few months?

One Day I will look into this Ziano I've heard alot about it, but I'd like to try and work with what I have first.
Old 4/25/06, 12:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
You might want to try a fine polish on a lower area and see if you can GENTLY buff out the swirls. Then get some wax on it.

Mine came pretty sweet from the factory, and I've been pretty successful so far at keeping the "swirlies" under control. I am having good success so far with Meguiar's products. I will probably try a Zaino kit one day, though. Too much positive feedback to ignore.
Old 4/27/06, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

My 1968 Fastback is black and the other week when the sun was shining I first really noticed the swirls, in the overcast weather you don't notice it but the sun makes every mark show on black, I waxed it with Autoglym and it come up brilliant, i'm in London, England so not sure if you get that in America

Old 4/27/06, 09:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I applied a coat of wax a few weeks ago, but the wax was NOT in it's "Best results" condition. Is it ok if I wax it again so soon or should I wait a few months?
Old 4/27/06, 09:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I use Meguires NXtgen (spelling?) Synthetic Wax and I thought it did a nice job.
Old 4/27/06, 11:30 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slowjoe24 @ April 27, 2006, 9:25 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I use Meguires NXtgen (spelling?) Synthetic Wax and I thought it did a nice job.
[/b][/quote]

I'm having a hard time finding a good wax for my mustang any ideas?
Old 4/28/06, 02:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Like I said if you have Autoglym in America it is brilliant
Old 5/1/06, 11:13 PM
Bullitt Member

You sure know great quality products, Justin. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

BTW, Autoglym is available at Classic Motoring Accessories. I've seen pics of other cars that use Autoglym, and I have to say that Zaino can't compare to it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slowjoe24 @ April 27, 2006, 8:25 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I use Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax and I thought it did a nice job.
[/b][/quote]

For the price, NXT is worth its weight in gold. My Mustang's not black, but I am extremely impressed with its results on my color.

Old 5/2/06, 08:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never heard of this Autoglym stuff before, the site says it contains a solvent that can not be shipped outside of the US......make me wonder if it's dangerous? I am a Zaino user but I always look for new things and lets face it Zaino kit's are expensive. I really like the results of Zaino I am going to wash her tday and take some pics at the park.

You know I need to type slower.......... and since AOL does not work well with this page when I am at home I can't edit my posts [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img] Justin just wanted to add that your car is tripple A bad hiney.
Old 5/2/06, 08:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05blackv6, sorry to ruin your post with non helpful information. So heres my two cents, my car is what I like to call bluck or blue-black. I constantly battle with surface scratches and yes thats what they are. Thankfully my dealer did my car right though some of the GT's they just got have bad swirls on the bumpers. What I would recommend for you is some Meguires NXTgen wax, it's great stuff and for what they charge you can't beat it. Now if you want to go the expensive route then I would Highly recommend Zaino. I know everyone here talks it up, but what it comes down to is this stuff works. It will improve your finish and hide your surface scratches (nothing but light sanding, glaze and a high quality buffer or re-clear coating will remove them) Zaino will fill in the scratches and as long as you keep a good coat of it on the car you won't see them. Though a Zaino kit can easily run you $100.00, which IMHO is a high price to put out. This Autoglym seems to do a great job(heck if Bently and Aston Martin use it, then thats good enough for me) and a Kit of that is about 36 without shipping. Hey just noticed your from Jersey! Land of bad car insurance rates and worse roads [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]. If you decide on Zaino drop me a PM and I will give you the contact info to order some, since NJ buyers can not get zaino from their online store. You can either drive to them or order through their NJ supplier.
Old 5/2/06, 11:37 AM
GT Member

First, You’re gonna want to get one of these
Dual Action Polisher

Then some of this
#80 Speed Glaze

Then some of this
#21 synthetic sealant

Then look at this:
How to use the DA to remove swirls with #80

Then look at this:
Results thread
Old 5/3/06, 12:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Believe me Autoglym is the best, perhaps they won't ship out of America as some companies are touchy about shipping liquid products
Old 5/3/06, 02:07 PM
GT Member

oh, I fogot, heres a good package to buy.

DAPC NXT package #2
Old 5/3/06, 11:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice. I gotta get me a G100 to complement all the Meguiar's stuff in my garage.
Old 5/4/06, 12:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Talking

Here's another reason to use NXT...

Blue BMW Z3 M Coupe
Old 5/6/06, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I have to agree about the Porter Cable. I paid $109.00 at Lowe’s for the PC7336. I picked up some Edge 2000 pads and adapters. Some Optimum compound and Optimum polish. Wet sanded the hood as a test to get the scratches from an ex-gf and also attack the factory orange peel.

It took a few hours to get the hood right with the sanding. Started with 1500, then 2000 and finished with a 3000 unigrit. I then used an aggressive pad and some Optimum compound. Next I used a less aggressive pad and some Optimum polish. I then finished it off with Zaino Z2-Pro and a finishing pad. In all about 5 hours of work due to having to move the car into the direct light in order to really see the progress.

The scratches are gone, the orange peel is about 95% gone. The bad part is that the hood looks so darn good that I need to do the entire car now.