Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Swirl Marks

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/07, 06:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clark Kent
would taking it in to get done professionally be a good idea or would it be better to do it myself. I was considering that because my moms friends brother owns a detailing shop and he would gimme a good price
I think having a professional remove the swirls is a good idea, but ONLY if you discover (and eliminate) the cause of the swirls in the first place! In my experience, swirls are a result of improper washing - either technique, tools, or both. They don't just appear.

With swirls, prevention is much easier than removal. If you are unwilling or unable to discover what's causing the swirls marks, they will return no matter how hard you work, or how much you spend, to remove them.

Just my two cents.
Old 7/29/07, 07:32 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The porter cable random orbit and a good set of polish (like poorboys SSR) should do the trick. it takes some time but the results are unbelievable.

black is a pain in the a$$ to keep clean, but man it looks good when it is done.
Old 7/30/07, 09:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by davisinla
In my experience, swirls are a result of improper washing - either technicque, tools, or both. They don't just appear.
I agree. From his other thread he said he runs it though a touchless car wash. They do not get a car clean, they only dislodge the large chunks of dirt leaving a film of dirt on the car. Then any wiping or waxing will just put swirl marks in the paint.

Even the towels he used to wipe/wax the car could have helped to cause the swirl marks.
Old 7/30/07, 12:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
would it be ok to use scratch X and follow it with turtle wax ice rather than the meguiers
Old 7/30/07, 12:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clark Kent
would it be ok to use scratch X and follow it with turtle wax ice rather than the meguiers
Sure, but I'm not familiar with ice - is it a wax?

They are two separate processes - getting the best shine possible, then protecting it. After washing, claying and removing as many stains, scratches and swirls as possible, you want to protect all that hard work.

Think of wax as a sacrificial coating.
Old 7/30/07, 12:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

its like NXT its a polymer. Is the meguiers glaze a polish. O and how is nu finish is that a good polish in comparison to meguires?
Old 7/30/07, 12:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

How are mothers' products in comparison to meguires
Old 7/30/07, 08:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by dly
Yep its a random. Here's the link to what I got from my wife for my Birthday.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1004&SKU=11119
I use this system. Only mine came with the Porter Cable 7424. It is easy to use and gives phenomenal results. If you really want to make it shine. Get started with this system.

It is going to take a lot of polishing on black with car wash swirls. Once you do, however, the car will shine like never before. As you polish out the swirls, the rest of the paint will benefit from the polishing and become crystal clear.