The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Car Care (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f659/)
-   -   I need advice for window cleaning (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f659/i-need-advice-window-cleaning-542571/)

Kotenukimen 9/13/16 08:58 PM

I need advice for window cleaning

I feel stupid but for gods sake I cant clean my Stangs windows (inside and outside) without leaving streaks. I've tried everything over the last 4 years, vinegar, newspaper, paper towel, microfiber, rubbing alcohol and every commercial window cleaning products on the shelf. Whats your trick? Whats your miracle product?

BaknBlk 9/14/16 12:22 AM

The best thing I've found to use is actually automotive quick detailer. I've used Meguairs, Mothers and a few others with a clean micro fiber towel. Paint is basically a porous surface covering and I figured if it worked on that, it would work on glass also. After using it over time, you can just wipe off that "haze" you get on the inside of your windows with a dry micro fiber towel. And you don't have to worry about any overspray on your paint this way, just wipe it off.

It's the best cleaner I've found....however if your windows are tinted, try it on a very small area first to make sure it doesn't react weird with your tint. All of my vehicles have had window tint and I've never had any problems.

stupidgenius36 9/14/16 05:43 AM

I use Windex and microfiber towels. I wipe it down with a microfiber that it pretty wet with glass cleaner. Then go over it again with a different microfiber or just a different side/section of the towel that is just lightly damp. After it's all dry, scrub it with a different towel to get any streaks/haze/film off. This has always worked fine for me with non-tinted Windows.

Kotenukimen 9/14/16 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36 (Post 6995991)
I use Windex and microfiber towels. I wipe it down with a microfiber that it pretty wet with glass cleaner. Then go over it again with a different microfiber or just a different side/section of the towel that is just lightly damp. After it's all dry, scrub it with a different towel to get any streaks/haze/film off. This has always worked fine for me with non-tinted Windows.

Doesnt work for me. Actually Windex is the worst.

Kotenukimen 9/14/16 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by BaknBlk (Post 6995987)
The best thing I've found to use is actually automotive quick detailer. I've used Meguairs, Mothers and a few others with a clean micro fiber towel. Paint is basically a porous surface covering and I figured if it worked on that, it would work on glass also. After using it over time, you can just wipe off that "haze" you get on the inside of your windows with a dry micro fiber towel. And you don't have to worry about any overspray on your paint this way, just wipe it off. It's the best cleaner I've found....however if your windows are tinted, try it on a very small area first to make sure it doesn't react weird with your tint. All of my vehicles have had window tint and I've never had any problems.

I will try quick detailer, but this thing looks greasy at best. I am very sckeptical about this.

silvercreek 9/14/16 08:40 AM

I live in a very humid climate and the inside of my windows get foggy looking frequently. I use one of those Reach and Clean Tools very handy to use. Although it comes with a micro-fiber pad I use a paper towel and a lot of patience. I usually take two(2) or three passes to get the inside windows clean. It's a real pain for a 70 year old to get in the back seat and clean the rear window.

NC14GT 9/14/16 08:46 AM

It can be very frustrating. I show my cars and the cleaning can be endless. There is no foolproof method because it seems there is a different substance, from tar, to bugs, to diesel fuel, to environmental crap, that sticks to the glass. Driving into the sun with a streaky windshield that you just thought you cleaned is enough to cause road rage :rofl2:
I have 3 different auto supply store glass cleaners I use and they will clean for the most part. Sometimes I even resort to rubbing alcohol applied to a soft cloth. Streaks (mostly minor) are left in almost every instance unless you finish it off with (wait for it) good clean water! I soak a clean rag and immediately wipe up with a quality dry microfiber towel, not some junkie $1 towel from China. Our water is very clean here in the mountains without chemicals or harsh minerals such as the sulphur in Florida. If your local water is not satisfactory, I would even buy mineral free water in the gallon size (about $1) if necessary. It doesn't take much of it to soak a small rag.
A key that many people overlook, including myself, is having clean towels. Residue from the washing machine/dryers (especially dryer sheets) just spreads to the glass. I know it's a pain but I actually wash the microfiber cloths by hand in my garage sink with Dawn soap and the hottest water I can stand, then throw them on a rack to dry after thorough rinsing. The effort is worth it sometimes. Good luck! We feel your pain.

Kotenukimen 9/14/16 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS (Post 6996007)
I have 3 different auto supply store glass cleaners I use.

Can you give us the best brands?

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS (Post 6996007)
they will clean for the most part.

For the most part, my point exactly :banghead:

laserred38 9/14/16 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36

This. And in particular, Chemical Guys V7. I typically do 2 passes. One to get the dust and crap off; then the second with just a light spritz on the MF towel only (not on the glass). I do vertical passes on the outside and horizontal on the inside. I usually clean my windows outside biweekly and inside probably monthly. I park outside and drive my car 3-4 times a week, so the outside gets dirty quick.

houtex 9/14/16 07:21 PM

I use RainX on the outside. Windex on the inside.

I use those blue shop towels.

Outside method: Spray window with RainX window cleaner, let set for a few seconds (say, 20-30?) and then wipe with ONE towel, folded into a quarter. Discard towel. Wipe again with a second towel, folded into a quarter. Discard towel. Repeat until window is clean. I used three sections on the front and back windows, side, middle, side. Side windows I just did all at once.

Worked good man, no streaks, no lint... very nice.

Inside... you do the same thing with the Windex.

Secret weapon: Clean, straight out of the dryer with no weird additives in it terry bath towel. No streaks, no lint, I swear to all of you, AFTER the Windex on the inside. BUT, if your towel sucks, it still does a great job of getting rid of the streaks, then you can wipe with the clean blue shop towel to kill the lint/fuzz or whatever.

The key? DO NOT let your hand/skin/hair/whatever other kind of oils get on the window while cleaning.

Time intensive, but when it's all done, it's *done*.

But y'all do what you want. :D

Mustang Freak 9/14/16 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kotenukimen
Doesnt work for me. Actually Windex is the worst.

:agree: Using good clean quality MF towels with Windex and I still get streaks! :banghead:

DarrenGT 9/14/16 07:47 PM

Norwex cloths work really well and don't need any chemical. just water. then use the buffing cloth afterwards. no streaks if you are thorough.

2k7gtcs 9/14/16 10:38 PM

Dirty windows are just patina

Adds to the effect

NC14GT 9/15/16 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kotenukimen (Post 6996013)
Can you give us the best brands?

For the most part, my point exactly :banghead:

Sure, I have NAPA and AutoZone brands (both so-so) which always need the water treatment afterwards, and this one (which I forgot where it came from). It actually works the best. Duragloss 761 in a clear plastic bottle. It's a company located here in NC so not sure if it's nationally available. I can upload a picture if you need.

silvercreek 9/15/16 06:50 AM

FYI, DON'T USE WINDEX ON TINTED WINDOWS! I suppose most of you already know this.

Kotenukimen 9/15/16 09:27 AM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...5997ee22f5.jpg

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36 (Post 6995991)
This has always worked fine for me with non-tinted Windows.

The thing is I think that all windows (except for the windshield) comes with a light tint from factory, so they all have tint inside.

Here in Canada, the best product I found yet is Bon Ami Foam Spray, but I still don't get 100% streak-free results. I don't know if its available in the US.

LEXiiON 9/15/16 09:58 AM

Very good tutorial..

LEXiiON

Kotenukimen 9/15/16 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by LEXiiON (Post 6996135)
Very good tutorial..

Junkman's Glass Cleaning Tutorial - YouTube

LEXiiON

Thanks Lexiion, good video indeed and funny enough to listen till the end. :nice:

I like the idea of using a strong light source behind and using triangle pads to reach the steep corners inside.

Glenn 9/16/16 08:30 AM

I use stoners window cleaner with MF towels. Spray the MF instead of the window. No over spray that way. Clean everything as well as I can after that I go back over everything with a fresh clean MF.

Kotenukimen 9/16/16 09:16 AM

Deleted