Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Fanblade care

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/07, 10:44 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fanblade care

1. How do I need to take care of my fanblades?
2. Do the fanblades have a clear coat finish?
3. Do I need to claybar the fanblades?
4. Do I need to polish the fanblades?
5. Do I need to wax the fanblades?
6. What products are giving my fanblades the best protection and keeps them in the "as new" condition?

Old 3/14/07, 11:18 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I think they have clearcoat on them, I have used zaino a couple of times, and use the spray detailer when I'm doing touchups. Other than that I haven't done anything else to it.
Old 3/14/07, 11:50 AM
GT Member

Mine all have some sticker glue residue on them that I've been afraid to take off. Each fanblade wheel has a small brown, about 1 inch by 1 inch, square on it that looks to have been a sticker at one time. Apparently they did not wipe the glue off after they peeled the sticker off and it has hardened. Water and soap do not take them off either. Anyone else seen these and removed them without damaging the wheels? Mr. Clean Magic Eraser maybe?
Old 3/14/07, 12:06 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I used goo gone, lighter fluid ro wd-40 should work fine also, and as long as you wipe them off/wash them right away, shouldn't harm the finish at all. I can't even see where mine were anymore.
Old 3/14/07, 12:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by baggs32
Mine all have some sticker glue residue on them that I've been afraid to take off. Each fanblade wheel has a small brown, about 1 inch by 1 inch, square on it that looks to have been a sticker at one time. Apparently they did not wipe the glue off after they peeled the sticker off and it has hardened. Water and soap do not take them off either. Anyone else seen these and removed them without damaging the wheels? Mr. Clean Magic Eraser maybe?

If soap and water don't work, try progressively harsher treatments starting with cleaner wax. I know that works on tar without damaging paint so it should work on residual sticker adhesive.

I erroniusly left race pad enduced brake dust take a set on my fanblades and I needed to move up to chrome cleaner to get it off. Probably more harsh of a cleaner you want to use on a clear coated wheel but at that point they were ruined if I did nothing.
Attached Thumbnails Fanblade care-wheel-zoom.jpg   Fanblade care-wheel-zoom-2.jpg  
Old 3/14/07, 12:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jayguy
I used goo gone, lighter fluid ro wd-40 should work fine also, and as long as you wipe them off/wash them right away, shouldn't harm the finish at all. I can't even see where mine were anymore.
Same here - same sticker, same solution. Goo Gone is good stuff, although a little smelly. You should have it in your garage. It took several gentle applications. Put it on, let it soak in, wipe. Repeat.

I've also used Goo Gone to remove tree sap.
Old 3/15/07, 11:10 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by davisinla
Same here - same sticker, same solution. Goo Gone is good stuff, although a little smelly. You should have it in your garage. It took several gentle applications. Put it on, let it soak in, wipe. Repeat.

I've also used Goo Gone to remove tree sap.

I do have it in the garage actually but never thought of using it.

Thanks all!

Anyone know what those stickers were anyway?
Old 3/15/07, 12:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by baggs32
I do have it in the garage actually but never thought of using it.
Dab some on, let it soak, rub it a little and repeat. To speed the process, scratch it lightly with your finger nail after it has soaked in a bit. (By the time I got to the 4th one, I had the process down! )
Old 3/15/07, 12:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by GJvdB
1. How do I need to take care of my fanblades?
2. Do the fanblades have a clear coat finish?
3. Do I need to claybar the fanblades?
4. Do I need to polish the fanblades?
5. Do I need to wax the fanblades?
6. What products are giving my fanblades the best protection and keeps them in the "as new" condition?

These and other factory alloys have a clearcoat -- but it's plasticized, and a little tougher, so should you need to polish them, you can use a plastic polish.

But you can use any detailer, spray wax or wax (I prefer synthetic on wheels), or even a dedicated wheel wax to maintain a shine.

And you can use clay -- but I'd not use the same bar for your body paint as for your wheels because of the extra contaminants in it -- use a separate bar.

When you need to polish or wax them, a PowerBall would make the job easier.

Wash them often with a quality car wash and with their own chenille, microfiber or sheepskin mitt that you dedicate for wheels and other grungy areas. I like to wash my wheels, wheel wells and lower areas first.

Do not use polishes made for bare aluminum.

Do not use harsh wheel cleaner sprays. If you do use a spray-on, hose-off wheel cleaner, be sure you use one for this type of finish such as Mothers All Wheel or FX Wheel Cleaner.
Old 3/15/07, 04:06 PM
V6 Member

For those who responded ........... thanks.

I have some information I can work with.
Old 4/4/07, 08:08 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I recommend the following:

1. Eagle 1 all wheel cleaner. Then wash with soap.
2. Use Mother's pre-wax cleaner - will remove all the road crap.
3. Wax. I use Zaino but for your wheels, almost any wax will do.

That's it. And I only wax and use pre-wax cleaner when I put the rims away for the winter/take them out in the summer. You can use it in between however.
Old 4/5/07, 01:26 PM
GT Member

I played it safe and used what it says in the owners manual. You can get it at any ford dealer. It's a wheel cleaner made by motorcraft (or at least has the motorcraft sticker on it)
Old 4/6/07, 08:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Dan
I recommend the following:

1. Eagle 1 all wheel cleaner. Then wash with soap.
Eagle 1 would be too strong for these wheels. Treat the wheel like you would your paint.
Old 4/8/07, 06:13 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally Posted by flashfearless
Eagle 1 would be too strong for these wheels. Treat the wheel like you would your paint.
All wheel cleaner is safe for clearcoats though? I have not had any problems in the past with this stuff?
Old 4/10/07, 12:58 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by flashfearless
Eagle 1 makes several different wheel cleaners, but their All Wheel & Tire Cleaner should be just fine for any factory clearcoated wheel. (Certainly don't use a wheel cleaner specified for Mag or Chrome as they are indeed too strong.)

I haven't used the Eagle 1 cleaners, but I have been aware that like most companies, they make several formulas.

I like Mothers FX Wheel Cleaner or their All Wheel -- they're both very similar cleaners and safe for factory clearcoated wheels. (Mothers also makes a Chrome/Wire cleaner). I clean my wheels about once every 4-6 weeks, and just use car wash in between.

Be sure your wheels are cool and follow the directions. I have an old wash mitt and a strong sudsy solution handy. I spray the wheel and let it do its thing (about 2 minutes on the Mothers products). Then I wipe the wheel with the sudsy wash mitt and rinse with a strong spray of the hose. I'll do another rinse later when I finish washing the rest of the car with a fresh bucket and mitt. It would be good to do a follow-up rinse if you have dripping issues out of the spokes or center cap as that could be a strong solution that worked its way out (it may spot the wheels if left to dry).