Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Dealer paint sealant

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/04, 08:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usually don't go for any dealer offered rustproofing, sealant, etc., but I was so glad to get the car at the A-plan price that I said what the heck. My buddy, who is a salesman at the dealer, gave it to me at dealer cost. When I dropped it off this morning I asked him what all it included. I knew there was an undercoating and something like scotchguard for the carpets, but I didn't know "paint sealant" was part of it. I told him I didn't want the paint sealant since I had already put 2 coats of zaino on it. Am I missing anything? What is the sealant? Is it just some spray-on wax?
Old 11/9/04, 08:12 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Go back and get the paint sealant. The paint sealant is a product by 3M that prevents the paint from being chipped by rocks etc. With the 3M sealant there is no need for a bra on the front of the vehicle. The sealant is a clear film that goes over the paint.

For an idea on the product go to www.carpretty.com.
Old 11/9/04, 08:28 AM
Bullitt Member

If I hadn't already put the zaino on it I would have gotten it. Don't you think the polish already on the paint would keep the sealer from going on correctly?
Old 11/9/04, 08:48 AM
wrb
V6 Member

It's very expensive wax. AKA pure dealer profit.
Old 11/9/04, 08:51 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would not get the sealer. It is a teflon based product which means you cannot wax your car for 5 years. If you go through a car wash that applies hot wax the finish on your car will HAZE. The only way to get rid of it is to use a rubbing compound to remove it. I know several people that have gotten it and will never do it again.

This "sealant" will not prevent stone chips, scratching, etc etc. All it does is protect your car from sap, bird droppings etc. Which you can buy Glaze for you car which is a sealant as well. You just apply it before you wax your car.
Old 11/9/04, 08:52 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by poldrv@November 9, 2004, 9:15 AM
Go back and get the paint sealant. The paint sealant is a product by 3M that prevents the paint from being chipped by rocks etc. With the 3M sealant there is no need for a bra on the front of the vehicle. The sealant is a clear film that goes over the paint.

For an idea on the product go to www.carpretty.com.
That is not the same thing the dealer applies. Besides what that site is marketing is actually a 2mil clear vinyl that goes over top of the paint. Look at the site. It even shows you what parts they cover. Do not confuse this kit with what the dealer is applying. Either way I wouldn't get them. The vinyl they use, even though it is made by 3M only has a 5 year warranty and clear vinyl does discolour to yellow after a few years.

How do I know, I use to be in the Automotive detail / sign business, that's how.
Old 11/9/04, 09:04 AM
Cobra Member

I'll print these comments off and give them to the folks at CarPretty to get their collective feedback.
Old 11/9/04, 09:09 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by poldrv@November 9, 2004, 10:07 AM
I'll print these comments off and give them to the folks at CarPretty to get their collective feedback.
My point is you are confusing their product with what the dealer is installing as a "paint sealant".
Old 11/9/04, 09:32 AM
I Have Admin Envy

oh oh...

if you already put zaino on it, there could be compatibility issues

this happened on another forum when someone put Klaase on a car that had zaino on it and did some bad things...

Paint sealant is garbage anyways IMO. I will definitely not get any of those add-ons.
Old 11/9/04, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@November 9, 2004, 10:54 AM
I would not get the sealer. It is a teflon based product which means you cannot wax your car for 5 years. If you go through a car wash that applies hot wax the finish on your car will HAZE. The only way to get rid of it is to use a rubbing compound to remove it. I know several people that have gotten it and will never do it again.

This "sealant" will not prevent stone chips, scratching, etc etc. All it does is protect your car from sap, bird droppings etc. Which you can buy Glaze for you car which is a sealant as well. You just apply it before you wax your car.
Thanks Adrenaline. I appreciate your info. I saw your other post last week about undercoating being made of all kinds of nasty junk. You would know better than I since you worked with the stuff. Do you really think the undercoating is really useless or worse than useless in all cases?
Old 11/9/04, 10:16 AM
GT Member

I have a similar question and thought I would not start my own thread. I live in Wisconsin and will be driving my new stang year round. I was wondering if the rust protection would be a good thing to have. What is it? How does waxing effect it.

The cost of dealer rust protection is $379.
Thanks
Old 11/9/04, 11:51 AM

Smile

Dealer paint sealent, what is it? It, like undercoating, Scotchguard, penstripes, window etching, mud flaps, and anything else, besides the car, that the dealer tries to sell you is pure profit for them.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people waste their money on these treatments/products.

There is a Honda dealer near where my parents live that promises to beat any other dealer by $200.00. How can they do that? Easy, if you buy a car there, you MUST buy a $299.00 protection package. This included the usual paint sealent, interior treatment, and undercoating. So if dealer A says $20,000.00 for a car, this dealer can say $19,800.00 knowing that they will get $20,099.00 out of you for the same car.

There is also a Nissan dealer down the street from me who installs "Nissan Racing" penstripes on every 350Z that they sell. Why? Not because it looks good, because the charge $499.00 for these beautiful stripes.

These are all a rip off.
Old 11/9/04, 11:52 AM

Don't do it!
Old 11/9/04, 12:10 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by joeuser42+November 9, 2004, 10:38 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (joeuser42 @ November 9, 2004, 10:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-adrenalin@November 9, 2004, 10:54 AM

Thanks Adrenaline. I appreciate your info. I saw your other post last week about undercoating being made of all kinds of nasty junk. You would know better than I since you worked with the stuff. Do you really think the undercoating is really useless or worse than useless in all cases? [/b][/quote]
There are several different methods to undercoating (dripless, oilbased, used tranny fluid, etc etc etc.) From my experience (and having to sell/apply the crap) the graphite based (drip less) forms a tight seal on all of the parts. Downfall, any water that is on the car gets trapped between the metal and the undercoating causing rust. Therefore, don't use it.

The stuff that tends to drip for days at least is a water repellant and will get into the cracks, holes, between metal welds, like penetrating lubricant does. Downfall here is it comes off easily. You would need to retreat it every year. Some places void their "undercoating warranty" if you do not bring it back each year to have it inspected. Keep in mind, some dealers also void the warranty if you get undercoating applied by anyone other than them.

Another thing that most people don't know is every 2 years you are to have the undercoating removed from your car and then reapplied.

Personally, after using the products and seeing what happens I would never use it. If I did have to choose something, I would get something from Ziebart or whatever company in your area uses a material that penetrates into every area of the car. Also keep in mind in order for this to work properly they need to drill holes into several panels of the car (door jambs, trunk, etc) to spray the stuff and then plug the hole with a piece of plastic.
Old 11/9/04, 02:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Keep your car clean, make sure drain holes are always open, good ol rustoleum works good and looks good also especially in wheels wells.
Old 11/9/04, 03:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by joeuser42@November 9, 2004, 11:13 AM
I usually don't go for any dealer offered rustproofing, sealant, etc., but I was so glad to get the car at the A-plan price that I said what the heck. My buddy, who is a salesman at the dealer, gave it to me at dealer cost. When I dropped it off this morning I asked him what all it included. I knew there was an undercoating and something like scotchguard for the carpets, but I didn't know "paint sealant" was part of it. I told him I didn't want the paint sealant since I had already put 2 coats of zaino on it. Am I missing anything? What is the sealant? Is it just some spray-on wax?
What is the sealant?

It's a rip off!
Old 11/9/04, 03:15 PM

If you have already applied 2 coats of wax, the sealant may not adhere correctly. Sealant in itself is good protection but can be done by hand for a lot less money.
Old 11/9/04, 03:23 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by joeuser42@November 9, 2004, 9:13 AM
All 3 items are dealer rip offs that are designed to take money out of your wallet.

If you want your seats scotch guarded, go to WalMart and buy a can of Scotch Guard for $6.00.

If you want your paint sealed, apply Zaino, Mequires or whatever.

If you want your car undercoated, consider a brain transplant instead.
Old 11/9/04, 04:04 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by V10+November 9, 2004, 5:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (V10 @ November 9, 2004, 5:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-joeuser42@November 9, 2004, 9:13 AM
All 3 items are dealer rip offs that are designed to take money out of your wallet.

If you want your seats scotch guarded, go to WalMart and buy a can of Scotch Guard for $6.00.

If you want your paint sealed, apply Zaino, Mequires or whatever.

If you want your car undercoated, consider a brain transplant instead. [/b][/quote]
What He said. Rip offs. No need for Rust Proofing on any of today's cars.