Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Daily Driven Black '13 GT

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/14, 08:13 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daily Driven Black '13 GT

I've always had white cars up to now, which has kept me somewhat in the dark with detailing. I'd wash, claybar, and wax them, and they'd come out looking great, but I always felt like the white hid a multitude of sins. Boy was I right. I picked up a black '13 Brembo last month, and the finish drives me insane. I've washed her a couple of times, and it's got a ton of swirl marks and what not, really quite visible especially on the ridges of body panels like the roof line and fenders. I'm looking to make it right.

Going to pick up a porter cable polisher soon, and my plan is to do a full exterior treatment to get the finish back where it should be. First I'm going to wash, using a mitt and a Megs gold. Then, claybar with a Megs kit I've got. After that, I want to hit it with the polisher, but I'm at a loss what to use. Can anyone recommend a pad and product to use to get these swirl marks and everything out? After that, I've got Megs cleaner wax... seeing a pattern here? Really just basic line stuff that got the job done on my white cars. I'm not well versed as far as what a sealer or glaze or anything else is.

I daily drive this car: rain, snow, ice, you name it. It's garaged at home, and sometimes at work. I'm looking for something pretty durable for the abuse it takes. I'm open to some product upgrades, which I imagine will be needed. Can I get some recommendations for a cutter/polisher, and wax + sealant/glaze you name it? Really just looking for a routine for this car that isn't going to break my wallet open all too much farther after the polisher. I'm all ears, any thoughts?

Joel
Attached Thumbnails Daily Driven Black '13 GT-cleangt.jpg  

Last edited by Godspeed302; 4/27/14 at 08:14 PM.
Old 4/27/14, 08:50 PM
Detailing Guru

1. Refine your wash technique. You should be using two buckets with Grit Guards in both, clean microfiber towels, etc. If you're not doing the washing stuff right, or are cutting corners, polishing to perfection is useless and a waste of time.

2. Lots of the Meg's over the counter products you listed will be fine. Use them as directed. Once the car is properly cleaned and clayed, you'll be rendering the cleaner wax useless. Cleaner waxes are made to get contamination out of your clear-coat, but you're doing that with clay. This product therefor isn't needed for the time being.

3. You'll need follow-up items. Products like Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax, Dodo Juice Red Mist Tropical, or CarPro HydrO2: these are quick to use protective products that you'll use after every or every-other wash to add more slickness and protection. Slicker car=cleaner longer, and easier to clean when washing (less chance of swirls).
Old 4/27/14, 08:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I used Klasse sealant/glaze on mine this past week and I'm happy with the results. Gives a nice shine and makes it easier to wash. I think I'm going to wax it as well once I get a break in the weather, should offer a little more protection and a deeper shine. I have some Griot's "Best of Show" wax that I've used before that looks alright.
Old 4/27/14, 09:28 PM
GT Member

Thanks guys, I've been looking at the HydrO2, I'll give that a shot this time. Will definitely start using the 2 bucket method too. What is a good product to use for the polishing out of swirl marks, Just a Megs polishing compound? What kind of pad for the polisher is best for that job?
Old 4/28/14, 02:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Godspeed302... I echo marc's advice about the 2 bucket method. You can also minimize the swriling by washing your vehicle in a straight line motion and following the airflow pattern of the car. Do a small section, rinse the mitt, repeat until the car is done.

Detailed Image, which MarcHarris and other award winning detailers write for has an entire tutorial section on what products and what pads to use. I have been detailing for a number of years ( it is relaxing and cheaper than psychotherapy ) and I still learn something new every time I go there.