Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

To cover or not to cover...

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/12, 07:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To cover or not to cover...

I'm thinking about buying a cover for my 2012 gt. She used to be a garage queen till I had to move temporarily. These birds are driving me crazy and I'm seriously debating on just getting a cover to store her.

I'm extremely **** when it comes to detailing and do my best to prevent swirls. I do think that if I clean the car and cover just before I cover it that I can keep swirls from happening. Shes only used maybe twice a month and the cover will not come off and return back on after use.

I just want an opinion if the cover is a good idea or should I just keep up with my regular detailing. The constant walking outside to wipe off bird poop and drying water to prevent spots is driving me up a wall. I miss having her in a garage where I could go throughout a day worry free.

Last edited by flySWA737; 1/20/12 at 08:22 PM.
Old 1/21/12, 12:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you answered your own question. Get yourself a good cover. There's some really nice ones made to fit our cars perfectly and they're made out of some good material. They're $200+ for a good one. Putting it on and cautiously taking it off shouldn't cause swirls...however wiping bird crap off constantly will.

I bought a cheapo one from AAP for $30 just to keep dust off while she's stored for the winter. If it was one I had to take on and off frequently I would invest in one specifically made for it as mine I don't think would last long.
Old 1/21/12, 08:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah I've convinced myself about the need of a cover. Its just when I go from detailer forum to detailer forum, lots of people argue that they can do more harm then good.

I still think that combination of constant bird crap, sun baking the plastic trim, and annoying water morning dew + sun is doing more damage to the paint then a cover could ever.
Old 1/21/12, 10:01 AM
MJN
GT Member

Like said as long as a good cover and carefull putting on and taking off you should be good IMO it is alot better then having all the crap on the paint and the sun beating on it all the time like you mentioned.

Just get a good outdoor cover like the Evolution think it is. Have one on my truck and its a bit bulky but very good at protection. also on windy days get a bungee or something to tie to in the middle to help reduce any flapping or anything. Get a method of folding and unfolding down and it will be like second nature after a few times.
Old 1/21/12, 02:09 PM
Detailing Guru

I'm HUGELY against car covers, but if you're car is being bombed by birds that often... you might have to break down and get one. Swirls can potentially be removed, hard core acidic etching damage can NOT.

Why don't you have some type of covered storage for your baby?
Old 1/21/12, 05:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
I agree with Mike, get one you can tie on or bungy so it will flap less in the wind. Maybe a microfiber lines cover or cover it with a blanket or two before you put the cover on........... get a bb gun and KILL the birds lol
Old 1/21/12, 06:48 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use one that I got thru costco. great fit great price. as for swirls - show me a Mustang that doesn't have them from the factory.
Old 1/22/12, 11:34 AM
Cobra R Member

I use a noah cover from Covercraft. I have been using them since '00 and they are a very good cover. before I got my house ( and a garage) I covered my contour on crappy days and the winter. my paint still looks new .although I also don't have very much miles on it I keep it out side in the summer under teh cover and at my parents in thier garage in the winter until my new garage is finished. I also use the same cover on my mustang even though I keep it in my garage year round ( yes I need more garages . The cover doesn't scratch the paint,and it breathes. the car will get some what wet but it dries totally, they are designed this way. if you put soemthing under the cover you will stop it from breathing and cause mildew and a bad smell.

Old 1/22/12, 12:26 PM
MJN
GT Member

I like the Contour I use to have a red sport I was doing up like my buddies SVT Tour he had. Got hit at a intersection by a truck totalled it out.

I use as I mentioned the Evolution cover on my truck and I just received and on the car a few weeks ago the WeatherSheild HP for the Mustang and all in the garage. I like to keep them clean and protected from anything, even in the garage
Old 1/22/12, 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MarcHarris
Why don't you have some type of covered storage for your baby?
I don't think the apartment complex would let me do anything to cover my car. Lol

I agree with being against covers but it's pretty hard to maintain a clean finish all the time. Birds are not really that bad maybe once a week I find a present on my car. This current living arrangement is only for a few months so I may be able to survive. My car sits in the shadow of my building all day and the bird poop I've removed so far has done no visible damage.