Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Collecting Dust...

Search this Thread

Old 1/23/06, 05:34 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it just me or is or does everyones black car attract a layer of dust just sitting in the garage overnight?

Does anyone have any secret formula for keeping dust off of a black car? I just waxed the car this weekend (Maguiars Gold Glass Liquid) and when I came out of work today there was a layer of dust on the entire car :angry: . Granted I park in an open parking lot, there has to be something I can do...
Old 1/23/06, 05:55 PM
Cobra Member

Two Words - California Duster
Old 1/23/06, 06:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
Ed is right. I have a CA Duster and the Dash Duster too. For me they are worth the money.
Old 1/23/06, 06:24 PM
Bullitt Member

if there is just a layer of dust you can take a moist rag and wipe it off, then dry it and it's back to new
Old 1/23/06, 07:48 PM
Number Cruncher

Two more words.

Car Cover.
Old 1/28/06, 08:50 AM
V6 Member

I have a duster but every time I use it it leaves a nasty residue on the car which I have to clean up with some detailer spray.

I don't want to get a cover as I am afraid it will make the car a target for vandals.

There has to be something I can spray on the car to keep it from gathering dust.
Old 2/5/06, 09:42 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05BlackVert @ January 28, 2006, 9:53 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I have a duster but every time I use it it leaves a nasty residue on the car which I have to clean up with some detailer spray.

I don't want to get a cover as I am afraid it will make the car a target for vandals.

There has to be something I can spray on the car to keep it from gathering dust.
[/b][/quote]
I had the same residue problem with the CA. Duster. Someone on this forum suggested "seasoning" it. When it is new let it sit on some newspaper for a few days to draw the excess oil or wax or whatever is in it out. That really seemed to help a lot with the streaks and residue. Hope that helps.
Old 2/5/06, 10:53 AM
GT Member

Cali Duster....I had the same probem at first with it leavin streaks on my car, then "seasoned" with newspaper and after that it worked great. I acutually believe Cali recommends this before using.....to soak up the excess of whatever it is that makes it work.
Old 2/6/06, 03:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ren 89 @ February 5, 2006, 11:56 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Cali Duster....I had the same probem at first with it leavin streaks on my car, then "seasoned" with newspaper and after that it worked great. I acutually believe Cali recommends this before using.....to soak up the excess of whatever it is that makes it work.
[/b][/quote]
The "seasoning" is on the directions if anyone would care to read it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

I bought it, seasoned it for 48 hrs (per directions) and never had any residue, streaking, etc. And I always store it back in the bag it came in.

As far as not getting dust...find a way to discharge the car of static electricity, or find a way to charge it with a negative charge to repel the dust. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 2/6/06, 03:48 PM
GT Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] Read the directions? That would make it just to easy. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/11/06, 08:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this looks like a good idea
Old 2/14/06, 03:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
If you park your car in an open parking lot, the only way to avoid dust is a good car cover. Why would a car cover attract more vandals than your bare car? If it is parked in an area that is questionable get a good aftermarket alarm that goes off if someone gets too close to your car. I think those are avaliable. I've heard some that go off if you get within a couple feet of the car. They probably are adjustable and probably are expensive. But might be worth it for your peace of mind. When I was working, I used to cover my dark red car everyday and it always looked great. By the way, if you are so concerned about dust, you should have gotten a color that shows dust less. Black would be the worst color for showing dust. My 05 is Redfire and that shows dust when it sits outside for a few hours. Colors like silver or mineral grey would not show dust much. Or you can be like me and just enjoy washing your Mustang frequently. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]