Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Cleaning Up The Engine Bay

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/05, 09:00 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have some Steeda dress up parts in route for the engine bay and decided yesterday to see if I could clean up the engine bay a bit. I was able to route some of the electrical wiring a bit cleaner and found that I was able to polish up the FI runners with a bit of elbow grease and Mother's Mag polish. They look much better now and if they begin spotting I'll shoot a coat of hiogh temp clear on them......sure hope the aftermarket comes out the an intake cover soon!
Old 1/31/05, 09:43 AM
Bullitt Member

I use a Eureka steam cleaner on my engine everytime I wash the car. Works great!
Old 2/1/05, 04:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Simple Green - you can get it at Wal-Mart. Spray the whole bay down from fender to fender and firewall to radiator. Rinse with the hose in spray mode, not stream. Works like a charm.
Old 2/1/05, 06:24 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by MTAS@February 1, 2005, 5:47 AM
Simple Green - you can get it at Wal-Mart. Spray the whole bay down from fender to fender and firewall to radiator. Rinse with the hose in spray mode, not stream. Works like a charm.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, ...but after using Simple Green spray briefly then rinsing with water, the "rubber" stuff (wires, etc.) gets yucky (if you touch them you get yuck on your pinkeys).

:scratch:
Old 2/1/05, 10:34 AM
GT Member

So you guys are just spraying the cleaner all over the engine/heads/intake/hoses etc.. then just hosing it down?

I'm not sure why but I thought you would run in to issues by spraying a hose directly on your engine

Guess I thought water would get in the computer or something, heck I dunno.
Old 2/1/05, 11:10 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Mellow Yellow@February 1, 2005, 11:37 AM
So you guys are just spraying the cleaner all over the engine/heads/intake/hoses etc.. then just hosing it down?

I'm not sure why but I thought you would run in to issues by spraying a hose directly on your engine

Guess I thought water would get in the computer or something, heck I dunno.

When cleaning an engine - let it cool down 1st, never spray a running engine, and don't spray directly into components (like the alternator, etc.) Be sure to put plastic over the fuse/power dist boxes AND the master cylinder - it is vented to atmosphere and water can get in your brake fluid. Also, don't spray a hard stream directly into the radiator fins - will bend them if you do.

Do yourself a favor and remove a small amout of the brake fluid if yours is overfilled like mine was.....will keep it from coming out the vented cap and running down the side of the MC reservior - mine was above "Max" and now I have it between "Min/Max" and have much less leakage......don't know why Ford can't figure a way to vent w/o leakage on their MC's - my last 4 Ford products have all had this issue - 3 Mustangs and a Lincoln LS.