Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Car Wash?

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/07, 10:03 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Wash?

Is "car wash" a no no to you current GT/CS owners? Or is the old sponge and hose the only option?
Old 8/15/07, 09:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dac64
Is "car wash" a no no to you current GT/CS owners? Or is the old sponge and hose the only option?
There is no comparison to a good old hand wash job. However, I have taken my CS to a couple of car washes if I don't have the time to do it myself. Furthermore, I only go to car washes that use the touchless system. In other words, the only thing I want touching my paint is water.
Old 8/15/07, 11:15 AM
CAL
GT Member

Wow, I would recommend you NEVER take your vehicle to an "automated" or "touchless" car wash. Only by hand...

Even the "touchless" ones can damage your car (i.e. too powerful jets, debris flying around, etc.). I had a friend in a brand new c6z06 take his through the "touchless variety" all to find out at the very end of the wash-- the car was "couteously" hand-dried to get the bulk of the water off.

My buddy found out, they are using the same drying sponges/towels all day long - full of your cars' (and every other cars) mud/debris. Every place they wiped, they left scratches..... he is in litigation as we speak...

simple rule - no one is going to take as good of care of your car as YOU will......... my $0.02. You worked hard for your GT - take care of it.......
Old 8/15/07, 11:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dac64
Never a sponge traps grit and scratches BAD mirco fiber towel I'll agree a hand job by self is best , that way you stay in touch with your baby (car)
Old 8/15/07, 11:37 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

never a car wash if you can help it. use a microfiber wash mit and two buckets with grit gaurds
Old 8/15/07, 12:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Self Serve wash or hand wash at home, I am against tunnel washes as well.
Old 8/15/07, 02:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Hand washing is the only way to go. Thats what I have done with all my ford trucks and they have always gone back to the dealers looking brand new. The one I'm trading in on my 08 GT/CS is in perfect condition. So much so the dealer walked out and took one look at it and said **** if it wasn't an older body design I would think the truck just dropped that thing off.
Old 8/15/07, 03:31 PM

Hand wash only.
I'm also **** about water spots.
Here is what I've been doing:
Buy some distilled water in one gallon jugs, 64 cents at Wally Mart.
Put in a bucket with the auto soap, not quite as much soap as recommended.
Put some in another bucket, no soap.
Put a gallon in a pump up sprayer.
Hose car down with tap water.
Wash with soap.
Rinse with pump up sprayer and distilled water.
Wipe dry, use a squeege and absorber wipe ( also from Wally Mart).
I don't feel near as rushed to get the water off before it drys.
I also wash REAL early in the morning.
Hope this helps.
Ron
Old 8/15/07, 03:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is what I do. I take it to a coin-op place with the pressure sprayers. I get about 4 minutes of just spraying down the entire surface top to bottom and I even do the wheel wells and underneath the carriage.
I use Meguiars shampoo/conditioner but switching it up to NXT Generation
http://www.meguiars.com/?car-washes/NXT-Generation-Car-Wash this weekend.

I use a mitt and be extra careful never to use it near the skirt or near tires cuz it gathers grease and debris. I uses another one for those spots. I suds it up and down, then use low pressure to remove the soap. Also do it in the shade and make sure the car is cool, otherwise it dries the soap and water too fast and you get spots.

I use a chamois to wipe it off and works great most times if it's not too sunny out. I aim for the early morning.

Then Ill follow up with some Quik Detailer, also by Meguiar's and thats pretty much it. That gets any water spots I missed. On and I highly recommend Turtle Wax ICE http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,1

It works great for the side stripe cuz it doesnt leave the white residue on the tape. I also use it for any trim and even the mirrors. Having a black car it really helps. Shines nicely too.
Old 8/15/07, 07:50 PM
GT Member

No auto wash, no sponge, no rags. Lots of cold tap water, no pressure.
Stang in shade hours before, microfiber towel wash, different microfiber towel at end fof wash for wheels. Another microfiber towel dry.
Machine wash microfiber towels often, alone!