Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Black

Search this Thread

Old 5/28/05, 04:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I want a Black Mustang, but I was told it would be really hard to keep clean and would end up with swirl marks from it. :bang: Is it really that hard to maintain or is everyone over reacting? I would use the Mustang as a daily driver (20 miles a day to and from work, 2 miles of that is a secondary country type road ) except in winter, and I also do not currently have a garage to keep the stang in (more like a pull under non-sidewalled shelter). I could clean it constantly, but I hear it puts swirls. Is it not worth the trouble? Anybody else have one that has a similar scenario?
Old 5/28/05, 04:44 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

I have a Black GT. I park in subterranian parking, across the street from the beach, literally 100 steps from sand.

Yes, it is a lot of maintenance. HOWEVER, it is easy to keep it clean, and not get swirl marks. I use a California Duster on mine every day, and just wash it once a week. Before I got my Duster, I was washing it twice a week, and using a quick detailer in between.

As for swirl marks, not if you do it right, use good products, and make sure you get a good solid base of wax on it to begin with.

I also think that black owners should save up, and get a couple of really good coats of clearcoats on it, by a good shop. But, thats a pricey solution. I will be going that route, but mine is also getting custom painted sometime in the future as well.

Its the same paint, just shows up more. Every car gets swirl marks, if you dont do things properly. The Sonic I think is second to the Black, then Mineral Grey. I would say after that, Screaming Yellow, then its a toss up. I think the Legend Lime, Windveil Blue, and Satin Silver are going to show the dirt the least.

Thats my $.05. I use mine as a daily driver, she takes me 60 miles round trip everyday. Got it Dec 2nd. Not a single regret.
Old 5/28/05, 05:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a black '05, and have had nothing but black vehicles for the past 20 years. All of them have been daily drivers. Yes, it shows dirt worse than any other color. Yes, It takes more effort to wash and keep it clean. Yes, it is gonna look dusty 15 minutes after you wash it. And YES, it is worth it to me. I just love black vehicles. To me no other color can touch the look of black when its clean. Unless something drastic happens to change my mind I will never own any other color.
Old 5/28/05, 05:26 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
I had a black GT and Mach 1. I washed them once a week, that's my routine. The car doesn't have to be shinning every second of its existance. As I matter of fact I like to see my cars with a little dust every once in a while. Perhaps I am at ease whether or not it's clean since I am not concerned of others' perceptions.

I like black because it lacks contrast. Unlike other colors where the mirrors, weather strips, tires, and wide fender wells stand out quite a bit. The only contrast you see is the emblems and wheels. Dark colors do have advantages. Besides, black is one color which is easy to match.
Old 5/28/05, 05:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm not really worried about other peoples perception, and I'm not really all that worried about it looking dirty (although I'd of course rather it be shiny) my main concern is the swirl marks, are they absolutely awful looking or would a good wax job prevent that and keep it from happening? How often can a car be waxed? How often should a daily driver be waxed (a black one)?
Old 5/28/05, 06:10 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
I can't say how often you should polished your car since I don't know all the affecting factors. Twice a year is sufficient for me.
Old 5/28/05, 06:44 PM
Bullitt Member

After using 100% cotton made in the usa towels with the borders cut off, I have 0 swirls. I use meguiars tech wax and a carwash with carnuba. I wash about every two weeks, and will wax tomorrow for the 2nd time since picking it up in october. Of course black shows more dirt than other colors, but just because you can't see the dirt does not mean that it's not there. Between a quality carwash, wax, white made in USA towels and always washing from the top down you won't have any more problems with swirls than any other color. I had about 30 seconds to choose between silver and black that day - no regrets here...
Old 5/28/05, 07:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well I think I've made up my mind. I will go with Black and ICAP as long as I can get a decent dealer. Now I am happy again wasn't sure if I was going to make a regrettable decision, but now I just plan on dealing with it and enjoying it. thanks for the help, TMS rocks as do the members :worship:
Old 5/28/05, 08:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's black and white, WHITE looks better.

IMHO
Old 5/28/05, 09:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by screamingyellow@May 28, 2005, 9:30 PM
Well I think I've made up my mind. I will go with Black and ICAP as long as I can get a decent dealer. Now I am happy again wasn't sure if I was going to make a regrettable decision, but now I just plan on dealing with it and enjoying it. thanks for the help, TMS rocks as do the members :worship:
You cant go wrong with black. A little more time maintaning... but well worth it!

Old 5/28/05, 09:23 PM

A little more maintaining and alot more head turning.
Just get ahold of a California Duster and some Detailer between car washes and be sure to use Microfiber or 100% cotton towels that will help in not getting swirls etc. Just be carefull in washing like what you use on your tires you wouldnt use on your paint etc.
Black is worth the work
Old 5/28/05, 10:00 PM
Cobra Member

I've owned two balck cars and yes, they are a little harder to keep clean, but do they ever look good when you're done. I pretty much followed the techniques already suggested in this thread . I had a few swirl marks on my car but they didn't bother me. I bought the cars to drive, not put in a museum.

It really comes down to how compulsive you are about maintaining a perfect appearance. It sounds to me like you could live with a black car. Buy it and enjoy it.
Old 5/28/05, 10:09 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by nbk13nw@May 28, 2005, 9:21 PM
You cant go wrong with black. A little more time maintaning... but well worth it!

My Gawd... I still want Tungsten... but YOU are the poster child for Black GT's!
SahWeet!

Old 5/29/05, 01:06 AM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

I wash mine about 1-2 times a week if the weathers bad. Other wise once a week during sunny days. I found in the past the best way to avoid swirls on a black car is to keep the dirt level down and wax on a regular basis. I currently wax the car with a high quality wax about every 15 to 20 washes which works out to be about once every other month, so far I have been fanatical and waxed three time since I bought the car in late february. I also rinse the wash mitt regularly during washing and do not rub hard and do not rub in circular motions.. Rub lightly in the same direction each wash. After 3 months no swirls.
Old 5/29/05, 01:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by screamingyellow@May 28, 2005, 5:30 PM
I guess if you go BLACK, then you need to maybe change your user name. Somehow ScreamingYellow doesn't work......
Old 5/29/05, 09:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Giddyup@May 29, 2005, 1:25 AM
I guess if you go BLACK, then you need to maybe change your user name. Somehow ScreamingYellow doesn't work......
Why Not? :scratch: LOL, I had to explain this before, my current car is a 04 Screaming Yellow V6. Hopefully, soon (well hopefully within the next 6 months or so) to be a Black 06 GT
Old 5/29/05, 11:50 AM
V6 Member

go black!

most damage happens when you wash the wrong way or do a quickie job and rub the dirt in, (if you can't commit the time, leave it dirty) keep it waxed alot and use the duster rather then washing (if only light dust/dirt) if dusting is not giving good results it needs a complete wash or fresh wax for duster to work (never wash a ca duster)

the hardest parts on a black car to maintain and not screw up are the horizontal surfaces like the hood

use only quaility Microfiber towels (remove tags) and wash mit, I found good ones at Checker auto parts (Microfiber is a black cars friend!) don't let anything touch the paint other then wax pad, microfiber and duster

if you rub or lean on a black or dark colored car the dirt etc. will grind into surface like fine sandpaper

if the paint/clear gets dull after time, you can always take to pro to get buffed and bring it back to new looking (caution, Ford clear is not thick!)
Old 5/29/05, 11:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

what about a car cover, should i use one or will that scratch the paint? :scratch:
Old 5/29/05, 03:06 PM
FR500 Member

I use a cover and dust the car with a California Duster before I cover it.
Also, when I put the cover on, I hook the mirrors first and then shake the rear and the front of the cover before I install it, otherwise the dust already on the cover will make things more difficult. Only takes a couple of minutes.

Paul
Old 5/29/05, 03:27 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by screamingyellow@May 29, 2005, 10:00 AM
what about a car cover, should i use one or will that scratch the paint? :scratch:
depends on many factors, never cover a dirty/dusty car

variables are: quaility of the cover (softer=better, inside garage or out, wind conditions if out (flapping cover will scratch finish, how often you have to remove & replace

black shows fine scratches so easy that for me I choose not to cover

if my car sat in a garage for long periods of time, I would cover

vandilism is also a consideration, there are pros and cons for using a cover

Quick Reply: Black