Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

aicd rain damage

Search this Thread

Old 5/27/05, 01:39 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I honestly think that my car's paint looks pretty darn good to be ten years old, but it does have some acid rain damage to the clear. Can this be removed without repainting? waxing helps and it is all but invisible in the sunlight but under flourecents it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old 5/27/05, 02:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well, I had some line paint sprayed on my car by accident and found acid rain damage too. I had the shop sand and buff the entire car and it really came out well. The compound they used really filled in a lot of the little pits. It cost me about $250. Now this is an expensive route but it really does work the best. Check around with local body shops and see what they suggest, maybe there's another way.

You'll never get everything out, every car has some sort of acid rain damage (its not really rain, but the chemicals in the air) unless of course you store the car under a bubble but thats no fun.

Good luck
Old 6/9/05, 11:28 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to polish the car, not repaint it. Farecla works great. You do need a polishing machine to do this though. You can't do it by hand because you will have swirl marks all over the place. Any detailing place should be able to do the work for you if you don't know someone with a good polishing machine. Never use a cheapo buffer. That will make a mess of the paint. They would polish, glaze and then wax the car. That would make it look mint Since you car is bright blue it will not be that hard to do. Maybe 4 hours.
Old 6/9/05, 11:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by adrenalin@June 9, 2005, 1:31 PM
You need to polish the car, not repaint it. Farecla works great. You do need a polishing machine to do this though. You can't do it by hand because you will have swirl marks all over the place. Any detailing place should be able to do the work for you if you don't know someone with a good polishing machine. Never use a cheapo buffer. That will make a mess of the paint. They would polish, glaze and then wax the car. That would make it look mint Since you car is bright blue it will not be that hard to do. Maybe 4 hours.

I agree. This is not a job to do yourself. Shop around and let us know how this works out