Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

2011 GT/CS Creaking coming from front right brake caliper

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/17, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GT/CS Creaking coming from front right brake caliper

2011 GT/CS -

Every time I apply my brakes and again when I let off I get a loud creaking noise from my brakes. I had someone slowly step on the brakes while parked and the attached link is a video of the noise it makes, first creak from pressing and second from letting off. From what I have read this is probably an issue with the guide pins on the caliper but I was curious if anyone else has had this issue and been able to fix it. If it is the guide pins should I tackle this myself or take it to a shop. Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by HOBIE; 8/22/17 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10/5/17, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like guide pins. Provided you have worked on brakes before it's not that difficult to inspect. You just need to remove the caliper and pull out the guide pins. You can do it with hand tools. Check to see if their is lube on pins and if the pins are rusted/pitted. If they in good shape but dry just buy some high temp brake grease and lube the pins and put them back in. If they are rusted and pitted I recommend buying new ones. They are only a few bucks.
Old 10/6/17, 08:11 AM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Why take any chances with your brakes? I would put on a new caliper, unless this is a low-miles car, then perhaps do as already suggested.

Another possibility is that the lube between the slide plates and the pads has worn off, thus you are getting some creaking noise there.

Either way, it's time to take the caliper off and see what's going on in there.