General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Yankee air freshener ruined my stang

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/11, 05:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nikki

Did they ask you to send the air freshener back to them with a estimate of damages? They asked for that from me.
Yea, but the entire package leaked into my car so theynjust got an empty candle on a string. It left my car with a fresh smell of melted plastic snd vanilla.... Wonderful
Old 1/20/11, 02:30 AM
GT Member

**** Yankees! sadly the owner is a big car guy. He's got a HUGE expensive collection. Know how he can afford it? Charge an arm and a leg for their products. I'm surprised the stay in business. We had febreeze scent stories. You could get replacement discs for $5. Well they stopped selling them because yankee bought them out (scent story part anyway) and now all the discs are manufactured by Yankee. Only now you could only get them at their store, not just where other products if theirs were sold. And then they charged $7 last I checked, they're now $10 and they don't even discount out of season scents they still have stock of.

Anyway. They're going to **** off someone enough to start a class action suit. There's enough lawyers dying for ANY business whether you have a case or not that they'll take it. Only I truly believe your case has merit and should at least go to court.

But I do wonder... ...why on earth did you have an air freshener in a 4 month old car? What are you trying to cover up?
Old 1/20/11, 02:44 AM
GT Member

Read what you said on complaintsboard.com. Someone added a comment the same day:
You should have read closer. Nowhere does this company say these things are for car use. If your vehicle gets over 100 degrees in the summer with the doors closed, why would you not expect a gel anything to melt?

This is from the Yankee Candle website:
Yankee Candle(TM) Gel Air Fresheners
Your favorite true-to-life Yankee® scents are specially blended with odor eliminating agents to combat annoying odors in cars and at home. Great for kitchen cabinets, mudrooms, trash cans and other small spaces.
Is he trying to defend them? If so, why did he contradict his argument? Also, the comment someone made about their dinning room table is proof enough that it's dangerous anywhere, not just in a car. What's worse is that it seems that this problem has existed for years and is still on the market with no recalls, warning labels, nothing. Had something been done in 2008, your car would have been fine. Time for a class action suit. This product has no need to still be on the market.
Old 1/20/11, 04:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Old 1/20/11, 04:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MyLittlePony
**** Yankees! sadly the owner is a big car guy. He's got a HUGE expensive collection. Know how he can afford it? Charge an arm and a leg for their products. I'm surprised the stay in business. We had febreeze scent stories. You could get replacement discs for $5. Well they stopped selling them because yankee bought them out (scent story part anyway) and now all the discs are manufactured by Yankee. Only now you could only get them at their store, not just where other products if theirs were sold. And then they charged $7 last I checked, they're now $10 and they don't even discount out of season scents they still have stock of.

Anyway. They're going to **** off someone enough to start a class action suit. There's enough lawyers dying for ANY business whether you have a case or not that they'll take it. Only I truly believe your case has merit and should at least go to court.

But I do wonder... ...why on earth did you have an air freshener in a 4 month old car? What are you trying to cover up?
It was a Xmas scent it was in a basket I got a's a present I don't even buy them normally
Old 1/20/11, 04:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Read what you said on complaintsboard.com. Someone added a comment the same day:

Is he trying to defend them? If so, why did he contradict his argument? Also, the comment someone made about their dinning room table is proof enough that it's dangerous anywhere, not just in a car. What's worse is that it seems that this problem has existed for years and is still on the market with no recalls, warning labels, nothing. Had something been done in 2008, your car would have been fine. Time for a class action suit. This product has no need to still be on the market.
Good points you should be a lawyer yourself. I can't figure out why these are still being made with all the damages to peoples cars I googled it and there's a ton of them
Old 1/20/11, 04:58 AM
Bullitt Member

I couldn't find that comment but whoever said it is 100% wrong the box the product all of it says car air scent it even says hang on mirror it doesn't have warnings or anything Yankee is going to fix these damages as soon as I get a written quote I have to send it to them I have a appointment on sat for the quote to be written up.
Old 1/20/11, 08:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Here's the back of the box
Attached Images  
Old 1/20/11, 08:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A friend of mine used to work at a pipe/tobacco store in a large mall. They sold many bags of the custom-blend tobacco not for smoking, but people would put the bag under the seat in the car for the scent! Some of them were very nice, too, like flavored coffee almost.

Nothing to leak there, either, because they were dry.
Old 1/20/11, 08:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Here's the back of the box
I hope you win this battle, it's just wrong for them to still sell these with or without a warning.
Old 1/20/11, 09:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rushc66
I hope you win this battle, it's just wrong for them to still sell these with or without a warning.
I agree so far it look good they sent emails excepting blame and said it's been an on going problem with this product. I just can't figure out why it's still on shelves. I would think they make the most profit from candles. Anyway. I won't be putting any smelly stuff in my car anymore I don't need my car to smell like the season were in anyway lol!
Old 1/20/11, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

You have a good attitude, thats important.
Old 1/20/11, 07:57 PM
GT Member

Good points you should be a lawyer yourself. I can't figure out why these are still being made with all the damages to peoples cars I googled it and there's a ton of them
No thanks. The amount of education they have to go through is insane. Thats why theyre so expensive. Youre not paying for their services, your paying for their student loans. There was a time when people assumed that to be rich, you needed to become a lawyer, so everyone did. We can always use more doctors, but the one thing we dont need is more lawyers. They have flooded the job market. This is why you will occasionally hear of some BS case where someone sued somebody over nothing. (ex: sueing a school because they couldnt find a job after graduation, suing a retail store after tripping over ones own child)

A good lawyer would never take such a case. It immediately gets thrown out of court, of course tax dollars went to set up the court date, and they are frown upon on by the BAR, and in some cases can even be disbarred. But striving for any kind of money fresh out of college, you get people that become divorce laywers, or DUI attorneys... ...and in many cases things like that mentioned above where they are charging legal fees to their client knowing that their claim is balony. Heck, many are "slap suits" where they just scare an individual to do something because they know they cant afford their own attorney. I know these things because I almost been sued twice. I say "almost" because I met their demands, and one of those cases involved a PARALEGAL, so it wasnt even a lawyer! To tell you how messed up all this is, the two times involved activities on the internet. It would be no different if Yankee tried to sue you over telling people what their product did.

I agree so far it look good they sent emails excepting blame and said it's been an on going problem with this product. I just can't figure out why it's still on shelves. I would think they make the most profit from candles. Anyway. I won't be putting any smelly stuff in my car anymore I don't need my car to smell like the season were in anyway lol!
After 2 or more years there is no excuse. No recalls made, and the problems persists. Have they even offered to replace your interior? Even is a class action suit occurred, it could take years before any of these people saw money. And how do you prove you should be included in the suit? Normally people mail out things, but they cant traces every receipt. Like you said, you got it as a gift. No record there. They would have to somehow contact people, probably by a posting on that complaints site, and hope they read it. Plus you would have to prove it you were effected. Do you still have the gel? How many people effected kept it? How many people even still have the vehicle harmed? If you replaced the damages, how many people kept the receipt? Heck, its been 2 years, theres probably a couple not even alive.

...this should have never continued to be an issue. They paint a toy with lead paint it gets all over the news and immediately taken off the market. How many people have died or gotten sick from playing with a lead paint toy? Ask your parents. But this... ...this shouldnt have ever been on the market so long.
Old 1/21/11, 04:48 AM
Bullitt Member

I do still have all the stuff and it was my best friend and she still had the receipt because one item she bought that day had to be returned so I was lucky. So far they are offering to fix my car. That's all I want a bogus lawsuit is ridiculous a's long a's my car gets fixed I'm fine. I'll still buy their candles just not the car products. Lol.
Old 1/21/11, 10:43 AM
Bullitt Member

I do still have all the stuff and it was my best friend and she still had the receipt because one item she bought that day had to be returned so I was lucky. So far they are offering to fix my car. That's all I want a bogus lawsuit is ridiculous a's long a's my car gets fixed I'm fine. I'll still buy their candles just not the car products. Lol.
I hope they don't drag this out and send you a check for the repairs quickly.
Old 1/21/11, 03:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Next thing you knowthe candles start melting through the glass bases they have and melt through whatever surfacetheyr on lol