Various Curated Content Articles Magazine Type Articles With Pictures By IB / Photo Gallery, Auctions, Shows, Etc. Youtube Video's

Would You Pick a Mercury Cougar Over a Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/16, 11:02 AM
TMS Editor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Would You Pick a Mercury Cougar Over a Mustang?

If the price were right, what would you think of a Cougar? Would you ever buy one over a Mustang of the same era?

Read the rest on the Mustang Source homepage. >>
Old 8/9/16, 11:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
If I had a choice and the two were about equal in condition, I'd go with the Mustang. But by itself, I would be fine with the Cougar too.

This one is not worth the price they had on it. Given it is in New England the rust-through is no surprise. But once you can see the rust, one can only imagine all the places you cannot see it, and this car will potentially have all the rust issues of a Mustang.
Old 8/9/16, 01:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
Here’s an interesting proposition. Do you specifically like Mustangs, or do you like all Ford products? If you align with the latter part of that question, how would you like a clean Mercury Cougar Eliminator? This 1969 survivor was recently being sold on eBay in Rhode Island, and aside from a bit of corrosion by the wheel wells, it looks like a very clean driver’s car. Equipped with a 351, performance will not be an issue.

It’s equipped for the 1/4 mile dash, as well, with a close ratio 4-speed transmission. Power brakes and power steering make for a great car to drive on those evenings when you’re looking for a challenge. It might not be an ultimate XR7 model, but this is one you can take out of the garage and not worry about a fresh wax-job getting spoiled. That said, the $32K price tag seemed absolutely outrageous. That might have pushed away any potential buyers, but if the price were right, what would you think of a Cougar? Would you ever buy one over a Mustang of the same era?
Old 8/9/16, 04:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I would, yes. 67 cougar vs mustang? Heck yeah... except parts issues, I'd be reckoning. If I can't get parts easily/for a decent price, that would curtail my desire quite a bit.

But that's an oddity of a question in general, to be honest. I don't get a car because it's a better or worse or whatever... I get it because I want it in the first place. Be like asking 'hey, if you could choose, would you get a Mustang or a Robin Reliant?' Same kind of idea, really.

/Heck no, I'd pass on the Robin... unless I could get both, then maybe...
Old 8/9/16, 05:22 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I like the '67 Cougars the best as far as Cougars go.
Old 8/9/16, 07:52 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
I'd take a cougar heck my fiance is a cougar so why not! This was a nice one that I saw and talked to the guy about this past weekend.
Attachment 181033

Last edited by Mustang Freak; 8/9/16 at 07:56 PM.
Old 8/9/16, 07:54 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
I'd take a cougar heck my fiance is a cougar so why not!
**** yeah!!
Old 8/9/16, 09:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I like the cougar. It was one of the first cars my family bought when they came to the US. It has a special place in my heart.
Old 8/10/16, 08:42 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
Yes I would. My collector car neighbor has an unusual '67 XR7 GT with a 390 that is a solid #2 car, and I would gladly buy that over a typical 60's Mustang in the same price range.
Old 8/11/16, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I don't think you need to choose one or the other. I have one of each ;-)

Originally Posted by Paris MkVI
This one is not worth the price they had on it. Given it is in New England the rust-through is no surprise. But once you can see the rust, one can only imagine all the places you cannot see it, and this car will potentially have all the rust issues of a Mustang.
9F91M580379 is not originally a New England car - it was originally sold in the State of Washington. In 2001 it was refurbished by Cascade Classic Cougars (also in Washington). The car still had its factory exhaust at that time, however a replacement 4-speed was installed as the original was missing. The rust seen in the current pictures was also present at that time.
It was then sold to the President of the Long Island Cougar Club (for approx $11k), who cared from it from 2001 to Fall of 2015 when it was sold to the present owner (approx $24k).
A short 6 months later (Apr2016) the present owner, in Rhode Island, listed it for sale at the current asking price of $32k.

I agree with Paris, the example Eliminator is a bit over priced. Typically "driver condition" 351/auto Eliminators are trading hands in the area of $20k (give or take a few K, depending on condition). With relatively few 4-speed Eliminators coming on the market, they often bring a bit more and sell quickly - when priced appropriately!

With only 2,250 Eliminators built in 1969, seeing any of them is a rare thing. This car is one of only 379 built in Competition Orange with Black Interior. Only 180 Eliminators were equipped with the 351W-4V / 4-speed drivetrain combination. When you combine those two we find that only 37 share this combination of color / interior / engine / transmission (although technically there were 2 types of 4-speed: wide and close ratio, which my numbers combine, for simplicity).

I dare say you would not have to worry about parking next to an identical car at the car show ;-)

I hope you all find this information interesting.

Have a great day!
Old 8/12/16, 03:03 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_B_SVT
Personally, I don't think you need to choose one or the other. I have one of each ;-)9F91M580379 is not originally a New England car - it was originally sold in the State of Washington. In 2001 it was refurbished by Cascade Classic Cougars (also in Washington). The car still had its factory exhaust at that time, however a replacement 4-speed was installed as the original was missing. The rust seen in the current pictures was also present at that time.
It was then sold to the President of the Long Island Cougar Club (for approx $11k), who cared from it from 2001 to Fall of 2015 when it was sold to the present owner (approx $24k).
A short 6 months later (Apr2016) the present owner, in Rhode Island, listed it for sale at the current asking price of $32k.

I agree with Paris, the example Eliminator is a bit over priced. Typically "driver condition" 351/auto Eliminators are trading hands in the area of $20k (give or take a few K, depending on condition). With relatively few 4-speed Eliminators coming on the market, they often bring a bit more and sell quickly - when priced appropriately!

With only 2,250 Eliminators built in 1969, seeing any of them is a rare thing. This car is one of only 379 built in Competition Orange with Black Interior. Only 180 Eliminators were equipped with the 351W-4V / 4-speed drivetrain combination. When you combine those two we find that only 37 share this combination of color / interior / engine / transmission (although technically there were 2 types of 4-speed: wide and close ratio, which my numbers combine, for simplicity).

I dare say you would not have to worry about parking next to an identical car at the car show ;-)

I hope you all find this information interesting.

Have a great day!
Yes thanks for posting!