General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Winter Driving with RWD

Search this Thread

Old 7/12/05, 07:36 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

All,
I’ve been loving life for the past month as I drive my 2005 Satin Silver GT around hot and humid Jacksonville, FL. It occurred to me I may have a looming issue as I move to Maine in November. Now I’ve driven in snow and ice for years up there, but my prior vehicles were a Honda Civic (FWD) and a Ford Expedition (AWD). I plan on outfitting the GT with a set of 4 Pirelli Winter 210 SnowSport tires. I’d really appreciate any tips or advice for driving this RWD car in the winter. Thanks!

Some questions...
Will winter tires make a significant difference over the stock all season?
Am I going to have rust problems from the sand, snow, and salt? Haven’t seen any yet with my Civic and Expedition.
How are hills with snow on them in the Mustang?
Old 7/12/05, 07:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you just have to take it easy, i have had no problems driving around with my previous mustangs and dont expect any with mine now

the ONLY problem i had was the low clearance

as for rust...just keep it clean
Old 7/12/05, 07:51 PM
Cobra Member

Same here. In my previous stang, I drove in the snow every winter. Never any rust problems, just have to hose off the salt after the snow. It certainly does not perform well, but just drive slowly and you should be okay. Heck, I got used to going up hills sideways. You get used to it.
Old 7/12/05, 08:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

I plan on keeping the stock rims and putting snow tires on. I'll get a nice set of aftermarket rims with summer tires for the spring/summer/fall. Come the snow, I'll just switch to the winter set-up. It won't handle like a 4wd, but the snow tires should help some.
Old 7/12/05, 09:08 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I drove mine through a Canadian winter here in Toronto.

Put some blizzaks on the stock rims (same size). Weight would help but isn't needed. I drove through the entire winter without any weight in the trunk.

Winter tires are a MUST! But this thing handles pretty darn well IMO.... No worries
Old 7/12/05, 09:11 PM
Cobra Member

Awww come on now....I drove my '98 with Z-rated summer performance tires all the time in the snow. Hmmm, maybe that is why I was going up hills sideways. Oh well, I never left the road during the 7 winters I drove it.
Old 7/12/05, 09:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by KansasCityTim@July 12, 2005, 9:14 PM
Awww come on now....I drove my '98 with Z-rated summer performance tires all the time in the snow. Hmmm, maybe that is why I was going up hills sideways. Oh well, I never left the road during the 7 winters I drove it.
haha i drove my 02 Vert with Mach rims and gatorbacks on it from Dec 31st till spring, in the nebraska snow
Old 7/12/05, 10:07 PM

I have a $450 Taurus for a beater. Well worth it to invest in something like that.

Keep the Stang nice.
Old 7/14/05, 02:57 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by FireDragon@July 12, 2005, 10:48 PM
I plan on keeping the stock rims and putting snow tires on. I'll get a nice set of aftermarket rims with summer tires for the spring/summer/fall. Come the snow, I'll just switch to the winter set-up. It won't handle like a 4wd, but the snow tires should help some.
I plan on doing the exact same thing. Having to feed two kids, the family pooch, and a wife means doing mods incrementally. I plan on getting some 18" rims next spring with 255s and an Eibach Pro Kit Plus, so I'll use the current 17" wheels and some snow tires for the winter.

Anybody know why Tirerack doesn't sell Blizzaks for the Mustang? I'm pretty sure they will fit.
Old 7/14/05, 07:39 PM
Bullitt Member

snow tires make all the difference in the world...I had an 89gt as my daily driver bought some nice rims for spring/summer/fall and some meaty goodyear snow tires just for the winter....i never had a problem driving around (it was actually kinda fun) I saw rust on the hatch area underneath but i think that body style was known to develop that...never added any weight to the trunk wasn`t needed...we get a lot of snow up here i am in mass...long story short get good snow tires
Old 7/14/05, 07:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Snow? Besides the road salt, anyone that thinks New England drivers are bad in general should visit here during the first couple snow storms of the season. It's like a combination of Ice Capades ansd demo derby

My 'stang will be stabled with a nice warm blanket and plenty of oats, while I drive something I'll be less upset about when some fool in an SUV doing 75 mph on a snow covered highway in blizzard conditions sideswipes me
Old 7/14/05, 08:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

WE managed just fine with the 03 v6 and the 05 Gt. Just use a light foot and a steady head. If the weather gets too severe a set of snow tires will work wonders . I have driven all my Mustangs year round and never had a major problem.
Old 7/14/05, 08:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

If applicable pending upon laws, you could sneak chains in also.
Old 7/14/05, 09:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I guess Ford expects that you'll place some bad **** chains on your tires, that's why they provide that God-awful fender gap!
Old 7/15/05, 06:43 PM
GT Member

I heard the same thing about the fender gap. Thus, my plan to throw on the Eibach Kit and some 18"s...although they will go into seasonal hiatus every winter for the stock 17"s with some Blizzaks.

Anybody know why TireRack.com doesn't show the Blizzaks as an option for the Mustang? I've read posts from many people who've used them.... :scratch:
Old 7/15/05, 07:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I am questioning if I should keep my current car (Corolla) when I get my Mustang so that I drive the Corolla during the winter and the Mustang the other three seasons. Any harm leaving a car motionless during the winter, say in the driveway. I would cover it. I may take it for a ride once in a while to exercise the engine. But, should I do something like disconnect the battery. This is like putting anti-freeze in the drains, disconnecting electricity and water when leaving a summer cottage for the winter. :-)
Old 7/15/05, 07:51 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by vppreacher@July 15, 2005, 8:46 PM
I heard the same thing about the fender gap. Thus, my plan to throw on the Eibach Kit and some 18"s...although they will go into seasonal hiatus every winter for the stock 17"s with some Blizzaks.

Anybody know why TireRack.com doesn't show the Blizzaks as an option for the Mustang? I've read posts from many people who've used them.... :scratch:
Yup, they make 'em in our size.
Old 7/15/05, 09:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Spirit@July 15, 2005, 8:23 PM
I am questioning if I should keep my current car (Corolla) when I get my Mustang so that I drive the Corolla during the winter and the Mustang the other three seasons. Any harm leaving a car motionless during the winter, say in the driveway. I would cover it. I may take it for a ride once in a while to exercise the engine. But, should I do something like disconnect the battery. This is like putting anti-freeze in the drains, disconnecting electricity and water when leaving a summer cottage for the winter. :-)
I WOULD keep the Corolla, the Mustang in snow is as good as absolutley nothing. Your better walking. If you plan on leaving the car sit for 30+ more days then disconnect the battery, as far as everything else you're okay!! Plus if you get hit by some driver in the winter at least it will be your Corolla where you won't get as pissed as you would if it were your Mustang.

Matt
Old 7/15/05, 09:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Spirit@July 15, 2005, 7:23 PM
I am taking the proceeds from my '98 GT and buying a mid to late 90's Jeep Cherokee. It's not so much because I don't think th mustang will perform. I drove my '98 all the time in the snow, and it wasn't so bad. I just want something so that my '05 is not exposed to the weather and salt.
Old 8/30/05, 10:40 AM
GT Member

I've put winter tires on my 2005 and never had a problem. It feels kinda strange at first because the back end will slide ever so slightly (about 4 inches) left or right on the slippery stuff but never more than that. The traction control kicks in after that and brings back the sliding end. This traction control is almost as good as a stability control

Quick Reply: Winter Driving with RWD