The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   General Mustang Chat (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/)
-   -   Winter battery blues (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/winter-battery-blues-528205/)

FireRed 2/11/14 01:20 PM

Winter battery blues

I usually drive 2 times a week to the airport but have been home for several weeks getting cabin fever. My daily drive 2012 is NOT enjoying the cold. I am on my 3rd battery in 3-4 months because she dies if I don't drive. Anyone else have this problem in the cold (upstate NY). Battery seems to die after 6 days in the garage.:doh::doh::drool:

Glenn 2/11/14 01:23 PM

do you have a battery tender to hook up to it? If not I would get one quickly.

Stage_3 2/11/14 03:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The cold weather KILLS batteries!
I have the CTK US3300. Super easy and works killer. I use the cigarette lighter option as that works best for me because I fire up my car every other week or so and wanted an quick and easy "plug-n-play", so to speak.
I suggest getting a battery tender ASAP, especially if you car sits during the winter months.

GrnT 2/11/14 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by FireRed (Post 6757155)
I usually drive 2 times a week to the airport but have been home for several weeks getting cabin fever. My daily drive 2012 is NOT enjoying the cold. I am on my 3rd battery in 3-4 months because she dies if I don't drive. Anyone else have this problem in the cold (upstate NY). Battery seems to die after 6 days in the garage.:doh::doh::drool:

The electronics in your car alone will drain it down. I use a battery tender also.

Glenn 2/12/14 06:14 AM

Its more these cars than the weather IMO. They will drain a battery even in the summer. Stupid cars. :)

AzPete 2/12/14 08:20 AM

You might want to see your dealer also. Even the cold should not kill a battery in 3-4 months. If it did, there would be a line at the battery counter. The battery tender is good if you do leave it sit for an extended time but yours should not be dead so soon.

wanted33 2/12/14 12:25 PM

Like others have said, a tender would help you greatly.

FordService 2/12/14 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by FireRed (Post 6757155)
I usually drive 2 times a week to the airport but have been home for several weeks getting cabin fever. My daily drive 2012 is NOT enjoying the cold. I am on my 3rd battery in 3-4 months because she dies if I don't drive. Anyone else have this problem in the cold (upstate NY). Battery seems to die after 6 days in the garage.

Hi FireRed,

I think you should have it checked out by your dealer and speaking to your service manager about this concern. He is in the best position to look into this for you and can check into any warranty, assistance, recalls, or customer satisfaction programs that may apply to your vehicle.

Also, remember repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty. You can schedule an appointment online here.

Deysha

VGMStudios 2/12/14 05:28 PM

Interesting.
I use to have this problem. Then my brother installed a bigger and better battery that was designed for the winter cold months. Havent had a problem since and I use my car ONCE a week. No tender needed.
Maybe you are just buying crappy/not well made batteries??

Stage_3 2/12/14 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by AzPete (Post 6757524)
You might want to see your dealer also. Even the cold should not kill a battery in 3-4 months. If it did, there would be a line at the battery counter. The battery tender is good if you do leave it sit for an extended time but yours should not be dead so soon.

I agree.
I just re-read the OP's first post and I agree that something is wrong if your battery is dying just after six days.

FireRed 2/13/14 10:51 AM

I have had 2 new batteries from the dealer; one installed in November and another in December. Car is currently sitting with them for a few days while they try to figure it out. Good dealer; they are somewhat baffled as well at this point. Had it charged on Tuesday, took a drive and parked back in the garage. Dead the next morning. Can't wait for SPRING!

FordService 2/14/14 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by FireRed (Post 6758091)
I have had 2 new batteries from the dealer; one installed in November and another in December. Car is currently sitting with them for a few days while they try to figure it out. Good dealer; they are somewhat baffled as well at this point. Had it charged on Tuesday, took a drive and parked back in the garage. Dead the next morning. Can't wait for SPRING!

Thanks for the update, FireRed.

Deysha