General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Why do they all want to race!

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/11, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While sitting at a light the other day a little Honda decided she was going to blow me away when the light turned green. I wasn't even paying attention so when it turned she floored it I just drove as my lane was running out she came flying up along side of me.I was like go ahead honey we have to many potholes for me to be driving like a *** I take care of my car. I find it funny how people feel the need to race just because I'm in a mustang. I've have This happen a few times I think it's hilarious. Anyone else have similar stories?

Last edited by Nikki; 3/14/11 at 11:08 AM.
Old 3/14/11, 11:05 AM
Cobra Member

When I was in my 05 V6 years ago this would happen all the time, almost on a daily basis. Once I got my 08 GT only sometimes, now that I got my 11 GT hardly ever.
Old 3/14/11, 11:11 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I get everything on earth trying to race me. From Cummins Turbo Dodge Rams to Silverado pickups to every Camaro ever made.

I know I'm faster and that's all I need. Let them be fools.
Old 3/14/11, 12:01 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
truth, it does happen alot, especially if you've got exhaust work done

the only time I've ever given in* this idiot in a civic with a spray can paint job kept getting next to me at lights, and zooming off, I was just going as normal. Then I heard him bragging to his g/f about how fast his car was, and how I couldn't keep up, and then there was the "see, watch me do it again to him" comment. I just couldnt resist. Flat blew his doors off. I laughed so hard at the look on his g/f's face.

*completely fictional story, never happened...cough

Last edited by StangMahn; 3/14/11 at 12:03 PM.
Old 3/14/11, 06:41 PM

I usually just ignore them.. If you act like you have no interest at all in them it gets them even more riled up... pretty funny... or I give them the please you are not worth wasting my time or gas on.. go ahead look...
and they usually end up looking like an idiot.. it all works out
Old 3/14/11, 06:46 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I get a few customers a day. Even with the fiesta. Maybe once every fewweeks a mustang even.
Old 3/14/11, 08:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Nikki
While sitting at a light the other day a little Honda decided she was going to blow me away when the light turned green. I wasn't even paying attention so when it turned she floored it I just drove as my lane was running out she came flying up along side of me.I was like go ahead honey we have to many potholes for me to be driving like a *** I take care of my car. I find it funny how people feel the need to race just because I'm in a mustang. I've have This happen a few times I think it's hilarious. Anyone else have similar stories?
Because taking down a mustang is a big deal to those tuner guys. Consider it a compliment that they think we are top of the food chain and they want a shot at the title
Old 3/14/11, 09:15 PM

Well one thing is forsure you dont buy a fast car just to drive it around ... theres a reason why they made em fast specially a Mustang thats what they were made for otherwise they would of made them economic 4cyl. cars with the hp of a honda lmao
Old 3/15/11, 05:00 AM
Bullitt Member

I like to drive fast but with the winter we had the roads are all torn up. It's not worst screwing up my car. I'm just like go ahead honey. Hope ya hit a pothole while your Honda,minivan,truck or whatever they are driving at the time is racing my mustang! : )
Old 3/15/11, 05:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
I will rev and egg them on then I will take off slower than normal.
Old 3/15/11, 05:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
I will rev and egg them on then I will take off slower than normal.
Hahaha that's funny.
Old 3/15/11, 07:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool "Some Days"

Was leaving town one early evening at sunset, driving west on a flat stretch of 55 MPH highway. When a very loud black primered/whale tailed Honda fart can bomb came zooming right up on my Stang's rearend. We were both just then approaching the beginnings of a winding twisty two lane road heading into the hills and the next sign ahead was a yellow (caution curves ahead) and it was reading 45 MPH.

Well nobody else was around us and I had tested the CalStang on this great first left hand spiral curve many times before. So I then slowly pushed Cal up to 70 MPH on this very long sweeping curve with that Honda bomb still there up behind me. The curve just kept tightening, then they just lost it and went off into the gravel in a cloud of dust disappearing from sight. I turned it around to check and see if they were still both alright. Wondering to myself, if those two "Fast & Furious Types" had just ate it?

I found that the Honda Civic was now dead on the curve's large dirt shoulder sitting in a big cloud of dust. But those youthful little smart mouths were not, as they were both now really flagging me off!

Then I just smiled as I did a V-8 Stang big bad smoky burnout in front of them, grabbing a very hard second gear as I roared away. That moment for me was kind of like seeing the WWII Mustang fighter's combat victory roll after a win in the old air war movies! "How Sweet It Is". CalStang

P.S. This story never happened see. Yeah that's the ticket. It never happened...

Last edited by CalStang'07; 3/15/11 at 12:33 PM. Reason: P.S. Addition
Old 3/15/11, 05:38 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I rarely get people wanting to race me.
Old 3/15/11, 05:52 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Cool

My driving style is usually floor it off the green light and take my foot off the gas when I reach the speed limit no matter what I am driving.
The ricers just keep flooring it, catch up and go whizzing by.
Driving the 4 cyl. Ranger is interesting because with 3.73 gears manual tranny and a high revving Mazda engine I can beat a lot of cars at speeds under 40mph (which is the limit where most of the lights are around here).
Best quote from my passenger: "Did you see the look on that BMW driver's face when you chirped rubber in front of him as you hit 2nd."
The 4.0 V6 ain't bad under 50 even with the auto tranny.
This car seems to be the one they really like to race (red car).
That always give me a giggle because I know how much faster my GT is.
The trick with the GT is going as fast as I can WITHOUT spinning the tires (which attracts attention from cops).
This can be very tricky if you are always trying to maximize speed.
Of course, stopping at the speed limit means this is strictly a 1st and 2nd gear trip.
Best thing: Blowing off the ricers with the cops watching.
Best comment (since the GT has no bling, no spoiler etc.):
"That's not a 6 cylinder is it?", as they finally arrived at the next light.
Old 3/16/11, 01:29 PM

First day I had my GT I was waiting for a traffic light to turn when a silver mid-engine Ferrari pulled up beside me. We studiously ignored each other waiting for the green light, then both puttered off like old ladies.

If either one of us had raced and lost, it would have been very embarassing, much more so for him ...
Old 3/16/11, 02:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I once had a guy in a BMW "race" me from a light. I didn't know we were racing though until my wife looked over and said, "I think that guy is trying to race you?"

So I looked over and gave it some gas.... he was soon in my mirror.

I'm sure otherwise he would have bragged about how he took down a GT500.

But usually I ignore people. I've gotten BMWs, Ricers, Camaros and a lot of other Mustangs too.

Actually, I've probably gotten more people in Mustangs wanting to race than any other car.

But it's just one of those things... when you own one of these cars people want to see if they can beat you.

I even had a guy in an oldsmobile try one day hehe.
Old 3/17/11, 05:20 PM
V6 Member

All the ricers want to run my 428R Roush, they all ways get me at a light and want to run me from 30 mph, I always lean out my window and ask'em what that big wing in the back is for on a front wheel drive or I ask them is that big wing a handle to put it back in the toy box when they are done playing, they usually shoot me the bird and leave me alone. I did have a Ricer messing with me all over my rear getting on a highway once we hit the exit I pulled 20 car links on him as my car is a Roush Track Pak, he would not even look over at me when I slowed down, I was sooo hurt.
LeeU

Last edited by LeeU; 3/17/11 at 05:21 PM.
Old 3/17/11, 05:56 PM

weather in my vet or my 2011 v6 i do like (karman)said i floor it until speed limit and let off and let them take me. so what if they can say they took me.my 12 second vet feels like a rocket at take off and will smoke most cars in 1/8 mile.mustang is not as fast out of the hole but is still fun to play with
Old 3/17/11, 06:13 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You know how the smallest dog is always the loudest and the one trying to prove himself every chance he gets. Same concept.
Old 3/20/11, 07:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by karman
My driving style is usually floor it off the green light and take my foot off the gas when I reach the speed limit no matter what I am driving.
The ricers just keep flooring it, catch up and go whizzing by.
Driving the 4 cyl. Ranger is interesting because with 3.73 gears manual tranny and a high revving Mazda engine I can beat a lot of cars at speeds under 40mph (which is the limit where most of the lights are around here).
Best quote from my passenger: "Did you see the look on that BMW driver's face when you chirped rubber in front of him as you hit 2nd."
The 4.0 V6 ain't bad under 50 even with the auto tranny.
This car seems to be the one they really like to race (red car).
That always give me a giggle because I know how much faster my GT is.
The trick with the GT is going as fast as I can WITHOUT spinning the tires (which attracts attention from cops).
This can be very tricky if you are always trying to maximize speed.
Of course, stopping at the speed limit means this is strictly a 1st and 2nd gear trip.
Best thing: Blowing off the ricers with the cops watching.
Best comment (since the GT has no bling, no spoiler etc.):
"That's not a 6 cylinder is it?", as they finally arrived at the next light.
Fast off the line and off the juice at the speed limit. Many surface streets have limits of 35 to 45. That's first gear all the way. The gt is fairly quick in that mode. Taking an on ramp though I think I am fastest taking 2nd about 25 to 30 then running that up to the 65mph speed limit. Not much keeps up.

Quick Reply: Why do they all want to race!