General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

What does "modular" mean?

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/05, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Does the term "modular" mean that this motor can be modified by swapping parts? For example, can the single overhead cams be removed & replaced w/ a dual overhead cam intake? Or something of a similar nature?

Just wondering...
Old 4/6/05, 08:44 AM

modular in this case mean that many versions of this motor can be made from a V6 to a V10 because they all share the same bore spacing and basic block archetechture(spelling?). you can't switch from 1 cam to 2 without switching the head as the cam housings are cast into the heads. but if you want to switch from an SOHC head to a DOHC head and intake, the parts will bolt on, but there is more to it than that.
Old 4/6/05, 12:21 PM

wouldn't be fairly simple, like reprogramming, or "re-chipping" the computer to take into account the DOHC configuration? It's all academic, because I'm poor, but I'd like to investigate the issue.
Old 4/6/05, 12:57 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Well I believe there may be a slight bolt pattern difference between early model DOHC's and 99+ SOHC motors. You should be able to put 99/01 heads/intake on a 99+ SOHC car. Yes you would have to chip it to make it run correctly.