General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Went from Stang GT to GTO......

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/05, 12:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree... the part I should have added above is that the GTO starting as a Holden isn't really the problem... the problem is with the Holden itself. It's just a boring design. As far as I'm concerned, a 400hp car should be a head-turner. The GTO just isn't IMO.

I have driven a 2004 GTO... if I hadn't seen the outside of it before I drove it, my view on the car would be completely different. It's really an amazing drive. And I'm sure the 2005 is even nicer, with the additional 50hp.
Old 4/27/05, 12:43 PM
GT Member

We had been waitting for two years for the 05GT Vert. We knew that they would change a little from the concept and it did, for the better. We were also concerned about comfort. We have two children, grown children. Our daughter is 24 and she is 5'9" about 145 pounds, and our son is 14 5'11" and is 240 pounds. He is a football player. I thought the GT was going to small like the 65 so when I saw the size I was very pleased. Loved the muscle look of the car. We put both kids in the back and went for a ride, with the top up of course. They said they had plenty of room back there. The front seats felt like they molded them to us. Fit like a glove. I love it, and it is very comfortable. Over all I can't find anything bad except for the throttle by wire. It has been the biggest pain in the %*** :bang:
Old 4/27/05, 12:51 PM
Cobra Member

My friend has a 2004 GTO. I like the power, but the looks are dull. A Grand Am on steroids! Even with the extra 50hp in the 2005 GTO, the Mustang GT is still the best buy - with 100 less HP!

As far as the launch of the 2005 Mustang program? I think Ford gets a "D-". Its almost May 2005, and you still can't find a GT on the lot, many people are still waiting for there GT's to be built, the 18inch wheels were not an option for the 2005 model etc., etc.
On top of that, I got rid of my 2001 Mustang GT last spring, hoping to buy a 2005 Stang, but they moved the launch date up to Fall 2004, so I got screwed on the launch date and with the 18inch wheels!

So here I am, April 2005 and I am either going to buy a 2006 Mustang GT with 18 inch wheels or I am going to keep on saving my pennies for an SE or Shelby.
Old 4/27/05, 01:09 PM
FR500 Member

btw, its not a grand-am on steroids, it's a cavalier..i agree with u about the gt deal...I go to my local delaer a few times a month......NOT A SINGLE GT EVER! it's really annoying, considering that the v8 is what most people want.....about ur last sentence john, I would save up for a se or shelby
Old 4/27/05, 01:25 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually really like the Charger, you will definitely be able to notice them once they hit the roads.
Old 4/27/05, 01:42 PM
GT Member

Just look around for a GTO with about 12-15k miles on it.

You can get it for around 20-22k!

I just found that out at Edmunds.com!
Old 4/27/05, 01:47 PM
GT Member

For as many GTs that have been sold I would have thought I would see more. I have seen them in car showrooms, but not for long. We wanted to drive one before we bought one. We live in Pa. and drove to Glen Burnie Maryland. They were the only one who would let us do that. It was worth the drive. Love at first site. The cars we saw in showrooms were sold while we were looking at the car. That happened more often then I can say. But now I haven't seen any, except the truck load of them going North on 83 to Harrisburg. The whole trailor was GTs. Other them our Vert I have only seen one. Sonic blue here in Towson Maryland where I work. Non seen on lots or in showrooms. Thank God we ordered ours in November last year. We got her on St.Patricks Day. Couldn't come at a better time. Now with the weather getting warm I dream about weekends riding around in the sun and wind.
Old 4/27/05, 02:45 PM
Cam Tease

I'de take an 05 GTO over an 05 stang GT any day of the week...if someone else was paying.
Old 4/27/05, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

the only problem with the GTO is the name plate. It is an insult to the "original muscle car" (1964 GTO), my buddy had a 69 GTO and that was a sweet car, it looked mean and it ran mean, but this car nopw called the GTO is so boring and has no resemblence to its heritage... they should have just called it something else and not tarnished the good name of the GTO.... btw dodge is going to ruin the name plate "charger" with this new POS they have too
Old 4/27/05, 09:03 PM
GT Member

I looked at the GTO...drove a couple, beat on one, even did some burnouts in one at the GM Auto Show in Motion. I love my T/A, but the GTO never impressed me. Even though it's supposed to have more power, the tranny felt like a slushbox and the shifter was more sloppy and awkward than any SN-95 stock mustang (if that says anything). I don't even need to harp on the bland appearance, but the comments about poor fuel economy baffle me. My T/A gets 25-27 mpg on the highway, One would assume the GTO would be somewhat comparable.
Old 4/27/05, 11:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Friends, don't let friends drive GTOs :cop:
Old 4/28/05, 09:55 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by RED92LX50@April 27, 2005, 11:56 AM
Next year I will be in the market for a new daily driver (over an hour each way in stop & go - mostly stop - traffic) - so an automatic it is. I am hoping to buy a 2006 Tungsten Mustang GT, and loaded I am guessing it will run me 29K to 30K - and if I order it I will be looking at many months of waiting.

The only other car I am considering is the GTO (looks lke about $32K with incentives), I don't care for the looks too much, but the comfort & reliability seem to be at (or above) what I have read about the 2005 Stang.

I consider myself a die-hard Mustang fan, but if I start to get jerked around next year when I try to buy one, I could certainly see changing brand loyalty (at least for a few years!).
die hard mustang fans dont buy GTO's

thats like saying im a die hard yankee fan!!!!...wanna go to a met game later?
Old 4/28/05, 10:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by jcopin+April 28, 2005, 9:58 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jcopin @ April 28, 2005, 9:58 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-RED92LX50@April 27, 2005, 11:56 AM
Next year I will be in the market for a new daily driver (over an hour each way in stop & go - mostly stop - traffic) - so an automatic it is. I am hoping to buy a 2006 Tungsten Mustang GT, and loaded I am guessing it will run me 29K to 30K - and if I order it I will be looking at many months of waiting.

The only other car I am considering is the GTO (looks lke about $32K with incentives), I don't care for the looks too much, but the comfort & reliability seem to be at (or above) what I have read about the 2005 Stang.

I consider myself a die-hard Mustang fan, but if I start to get jerked around next year when I try to buy one, I could certainly see changing brand loyalty (at least for a few years!).

[/b][/quote]

That's fine if he wants lower class quality and looks.
Old 4/28/05, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by Super Sonic Blue Mustang+April 28, 2005, 10:25 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Super Sonic Blue Mustang @ April 28, 2005, 10:25 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by jcopin@April 28, 2005, 9:58 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-RED92LX50
@April 27, 2005, 11:56 AM

LOL - I really do want the 06 Stang! It just seems to me that since the 05's are very hard to come by (06 may have the same issues), and many dealers are jerking around the customer.

[/b][/quote]

Funny - I have been "lurking" this site for many months, and I have read all the threads about the numerous issues that many new Stang owners are having. In some ways this is to be expected in a new model - maybe all will be ironed out by the 06 model. However, if you go to a GTO message board, you really don't see many threads where people are saying they have mechanical issues/problems with their cars (granted they came out in late 2003, so they may have had earlier issues).
Old 4/28/05, 10:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by RED92LX50+April 28, 2005, 10:39 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RED92LX50 @ April 28, 2005, 10:39 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Super Sonic Blue Mustang@April 28, 2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by jcopin@April 28, 2005, 9:58 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-RED92LX50
@April 27, 2005, 11:56 AM

LOL - I really do want the 06 Stang! It just seems to me that since the 05's are very hard to come by (06 may have the same issues), and many dealers are jerking around the customer.

Funny - I have been "lurking" this site for many months, and I have read all the threads about the numerous issues that many new Stang owners are having. In some ways this is to be expected in a new model - maybe all will be ironed out by the 06 model. However, if you go to a GTO message board, you really don't see many threads where people are saying they have mechanical issues/problems with their cars (granted they came out in late 2003, so they may have had earlier issues).
[/b][/quote]

That is because no one is buying them

No one to report any problems, oh wait the looks which are the biggest problem because you can't fix them fast. Come on think about it. I have not had any problems and the ones you are hearing are not serious.
Old 4/28/05, 10:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Those new GTO's are hideous. I can't believe GM even thought for a moment that they would fly. They are heavy, ugly, and unreliable. I have seen one on the road and there is dealer around here with 4 sitting in the front of the lot. They haven't moved for at least 8 months!
Old 4/28/05, 10:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@April 28, 2005, 10:48 AM
Those new GTO's are hideous. I can't believe GM even thought for a moment that they would fly. They are heavy, ugly, and unreliable. I have seen one on the road and there is dealer around here with 4 sitting in the front of the lot. They haven't moved for at least 8 months!

I love the 60's GTO, but the latest is terrible.. They should have brought the Nova name to go on the new GTO instead, because it is a no go(spanish for no go is Nova)
Old 4/28/05, 02:37 PM
GT Member

The new GTO will blend in with all the other family car. It really doesn't look like a sports car. And my daughter had a Grandam (if it spelled this way I'm not sure) with a full sports packet. It was pretty but she bought it new and had it in the shop all the time. It had alot of issues. She sold it just a few months ago and bought a Japanese car. Another rice burner. OHHH NOOO!
Old 4/28/05, 03:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Heres another bad one, the new charger. 4 doors!?!? I'm sorry but when I think of a muscle car I think 2 doors!
Old 5/24/05, 07:17 AM
Bullitt Member

The GTO is a great car...and if it was available in Canada, I would have been considering one very seriously.

It has many elements that SHOULD have been included on the '05 Mustang.

I get a kick outta all of you guys coming on a muscle car forum and berating the GTO for having 'poor gas mileage'

And claiming it to be 'Cavalier' with a 400bhp engine is sheer ignorance.

Fact is...somewhere between the '05 Mustang GT and the Pontiac GTO is the PERFECT car.

Quick Reply: Went from Stang GT to GTO......