General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Types of Mustang Drivers and the "Wave"

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/13, 06:11 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Originally Posted by toxxxic13
Nah. Hardly no one around here waves. It is ridiculous.
Same here man.
Although, I did see a nice Buick GN with some dude and his girl and I gave him the thumbs up and he waved. It's not very often that people do. I don't really go out of my way to give the wave any more.
Old 7/1/13, 06:03 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Funny when I had my Corvette this same discussion was on the Corvette forum. The Corvette wave was a frequent topic.

I think that there are those who think that waving is somehow childish, or are afraid that they will not get a wave back.

Me, I wave, nod, smile, and shake my head, even if I am only a V6.... :-)
Old 7/1/13, 06:34 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i do wave/head nod and equally get response back in my locality (clear lake area, Houston), but if i go to downtown/highway i dont do this much as i get a very poor response back... looks like everybody is in a hurry for something.. i m the only one who is laid back n comfort riding..
this all changed recently when i tinted, now i live in shadows...
Old 7/1/13, 06:58 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I receive random waves, but it does depend on who is driving and what they are driving. There are a few 2005+ GT's in town that don't acknowledge so I don't bother. I think I get more waves from New Edge owners than any other. One time I saw a Roush going through traffic and managed to pull up beside me, gave me the thumbs up and continued on.

One time I was out for a back road ride and came up to a 4 way stop sign type intersection. Three Mustangs pulled up at the same time. No waves, but we all did chuckle a little.
Old 7/1/13, 07:33 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I would say 90% of the Mustang owners are just clueless drivers driving an every day car. I sometimes wave to GT drivers but don't even bother with 6 banger owners. About 99% of those are just every day drivers
Old 7/1/13, 08:23 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
kids give me a lot more attention and looks than grownups do ... i dont wave at other mustangs less they wave first and most dont ....
Old 7/1/13, 08:51 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,079 Likes on 675 Posts
I think there are just too many Mustangs out there. You would rarely keep both hands on the steering wheel.

When I owned an older 911 there was almost a mandatory wave for the air-cooled cars (prior to '99) yet the newer water cooled owners didn't even acknowledge your ride. I don't think it is snobbery, I attribute it to being a 'car person'.
Old 7/1/13, 09:01 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
I think there are just too many Mustangs out there. You would rarely keep both hands on the steering wheel.

When I owned an older 911 there was almost a mandatory wave for the air-cooled cars (prior to '99) yet the newer water cooled owners didn't even acknowledge your ride. I don't think it is snobbery, I attribute it to being a 'car person'.
Yup. You have a good point. They just drive the thing. Nothing more.
I usually don't wave to stock V6 mustangs. If I see one that has been lowered or customized a bit, I will probably wave. If its just transportation, no point on waving. I also give a wave to most cool cars out there or anyone usually staring hard. Hate to be the snob that won't wave to a little kid that thinks your car is cool. Don't be that jerk.
Old 7/1/13, 12:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is an interesting thread on a number of levels. As far as I'm concerned, if you're driving a Mustang then we have something in common. If you think its "just another car," I'm going to enjoy convincing you otherwise!

As far as waving- if I see a Mustang that is obviously loved (modified in some way, or just nicely clean) being driven by someone who looks like they're actually enjoying the drive (i.e., not texting or staring blankly out into space), I will give them a head nod and a thumbs up. Almost all of the time, I get a smile and a wave back.

That said, I've noticed different responses to each of our 3 Mustangs:

In the '65 coupe (6 cylinder) I get a LOT of waves, honks, thumbs up, smiles- especially from either 40+ year olds or young kids. Generally though, everyone seems to love a classic Mustang...

That is, until you get to a Mustang meet! I run into a lot of downright snobbish Mustang owners who fall into the "Nice car- too bad its just a 6cyl coupe." Whatever!

In the '03 convertible, its almost like we're not driving a Mustang. Unless we're waving to another SN95 or New Edge Mustang, other Mustang drivers look at us like "and your point is?"

In the '14 GT, I get a lot of attention from people my kids age (18 year old boy, 17 year old girl).

As for modern V6 Mustangs... hey, at 305hp they're putting out 1 pony less than the top of the line Shelby did in 1965- I think that's pretty respectable!
Old 7/4/13, 07:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I give a thumbs up or a wave to any cool looking car I see driving around, whether it be a Mustang, Aston Martin, Maserati, Ferrari, etc. Seems to me that the people with more expensive cars tend to wave back or at least smile back a bit more often. As far as Mustangs go, all I see around San Diego are V6 convertibles. They are all over the place.
Old 7/5/13, 07:14 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,079 Likes on 675 Posts
Originally Posted by mrp5150
As far as Mustangs go, all I see around San Diego are V6 convertibles. They are all over the place.
You got that right!! During our trip out there in April, we saw dozens and dozens of them. Also in Vegas and around the Grand Canyon. When I started looking closer I saw the bar codes on the windows. Most every one was a rental car. The car rental companies must have bought thousands of them. Even in our rather unusual Mustang people just thought it was a rental too apparently, despite the model year. We received very little attention and very few comments during our two weeks there. That isn't the case here in the southeast. It is noticed.
By the way, we loved your area of the country. It was our first visit to San Diego. Beautiful convertible weather too during our visit.
Old 7/5/13, 11:53 AM

Oh, wow! I guess I may never get a wave/nod, then, from a lot of you.

Let's see...in my fleet, I have three Mustangs -- '03 GT Vert, '13 V6 Coupe, and '12 V6 Vert -- all stock. I don't like to mod because I like them in their natural state.

Around here, DC area, Mustangs just seem to be in abundance. Normally, the only times I get a look (or I should say when the Mustangs get a look) are from the younger crowd (my kid's age - late-teens to early-20's). The girls tend to look at my '03 Sonic Blue and the '12 Grabber Blue. However, when I'm in the '13 Sterling Gray, I tend to get looks from guys in competitor vehicles (i.e. Camaros and others). I think the looks kinda substitute for the waves in this area.

Not that I ride my (Motor Co) motorcycles much anymore, but I would normally wave or nod to most other riders regardless of brand.

P.S. I treat my Mustangs as once in a while drivers. I have a commuter vehicle for everyday use.
Old 7/5/13, 12:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS

You got that right!! During our trip out there in April, we saw dozens and dozens of them. Also in Vegas and around the Grand Canyon. When I started looking closer I saw the bar codes on the windows. Most every one was a rental car. The car rental companies must have bought thousands of them. Even in our rather unusual Mustang people just thought it was a rental too apparently, despite the model year. We received very little attention and very few comments during our two weeks there. That isn't the case here in the southeast. It is noticed.
By the way, we loved your area of the country. It was our first visit to San Diego. Beautiful convertible weather too during our visit.
Yeah, I'm originally from Pennsylvania and if you own a Mustang GT out there, everybody thinks it's the coolest car ever. Out here nobody gives a Mustang GT a second look. There are so many exotics out here that it makes my GT seem like a sedan, haha. Out here if you own a BMW or Mercedes, it's like owning a Ford Taurus or a Chevy Cavalier back East.
Old 7/6/13, 08:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I try to flash the brights if oncoming. Wave if next to. I'm more focused on driving so I usually don't remember.
Old 7/6/13, 08:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by typesredline
I try to flash the brights if oncoming. Wave if next to. I'm more focused on driving so I usually don't remember.
They probably think you're warning them about a cop down the road.
Old 7/7/13, 05:31 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Skylar

Lol probably b
Old 7/7/13, 08:28 AM
LCC
V6 Member

When I had my 89, 5.0 mildly modded. No one ever waved. It felt like people hated the fact that you had a quick street car. Now, how much of that was them and me?? Makes me wonder if it was all in my head because I didn't wave either.

Now with the 68, I wave at any car that's over 40 and wave back at any car that waves at me. This may be because of age or because I have nothing to prove, I don't know.. And it's not easy rolling around in a 68, manual steering, "heavily modded" classic...
Old 7/7/13, 03:09 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually got a full arm out the window wave from a blue S197 with what looked to be orange/red stripes on Providence Rd before I was even able to wave myself. But that was the only one I got, the rest I waved at including a SN95, and a couple S197's didn't wave or look. Like some have said, maybe there were too busy paying attention to driving. But by my logic (and training from my job actually) if you have any situational awareness you will notice the vehicles around you. From there it only takes a split second to wave, you don't even have to take your hand off the wheel doing the 2/3 finger wave. But hey that is just me.
Old 7/7/13, 03:19 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Skylar

Good point. Lol. But I just do one, and I usually get it back.
Old 7/7/13, 04:32 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I had a nice black Stang driving towards me today with the drivers arm out the window. I waved because I thought he was waving, but he wasn't. He did see my wave and then I got one in return.

Quick Reply: Types of Mustang Drivers and the "Wave"