General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Taken to jail for driving over 100mph?

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/06, 05:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving on the I-5 between LA and Sacramento there is no shortage of big suv's doing 90mph+. Ive done this drive twice just in this month and while the majority of traffic is content to cruise 80mph, there is always a few (mostly SUV's) that just HAVE to pass you on the right nearly rear ending a big rig and forcing everyone in the left lane to lock up the brakes when they force their way back in.

Those people deserve jail time, or at least, have their liscense revoked.

Hitting 100+ on a deserted strech of hwy, with good road and weather conditions and apropriate tires, I don't think that warrents jail time.

With todays modern cars and tires, 100mph is not nearly as reckless as it once was.
Old 2/23/06, 05:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
True.. but some of the drivers are...
Old 2/23/06, 07:57 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I held 120 for about 45 mins, 90 miles, between 3:30 and 4:30 in the am in VA and WV on 77. I was alert, roads were deserted, no one else around, no one got hurt, I was in fine control, brights on, clear. Should I have gone to JAIL? NO! I didn't even pass a single person... so who cares.
There's many places in this country where speed limits are not even necessary. Someone stated that speed limits are there for safety. Not in all cases. Explain this. Why would the maximum interstate speed in one state be 55 and 70 in another? I don't know the answer, but can only speculate that it's a combination of revenue and politics.
Further proof - the Autobahn, the fastest, and safest, highway in the world. Less accidents and less fatalities there than here. I'm sure that the accidents they do have are worse, but the previous facts don't change.
Before anyone tries to twist my words (happens a lot around here), I'm not saying all speed limits should be abolished. They definately have thier place in cities, business districts, suburbs, and especially neighborhoods, which should be between 20 and 25 IMO.
I've got a new law I'd like to propose. Any traffic infraction penalty should be enforced at the maximum rate, then doubled, if the infraction occurs while the driver is on a cell phone. And yes, this means that we'd be talking serious jail time for 100+ while taliking on a cell phone.
Further, .08 is stupid. .1 is at least fair. When was the last time you watched the news, and heard about a fatal accident, and then the anchor coms on and says, "The driver was .09, just past the legal limit." ? Answer - never. Does this ring a bell?: "The driver involved in the fatal accident was 2 (or 3) times the legal limit." .08 is another way for politicians to act like they're getting tough on drunk driving, but really saving no lives, just creating tax revenue and making life difficult for good people.
Final disclaimer- I have never been to jail, never had a DUI, never had a ticket for more than 21 past the limit, 3 tickets total in my life. Therefore, these are my personal feelings, not distorted by personal grudge/experience.

Sorry, rant over.

By the way, I voted No.
Old 2/25/06, 03:57 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05GT-O.C.D. @ February 23, 2006, 7:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I held 120 for about 45 mins, 90 miles, between 3:30 and 4:30 in the am in VA and WV on 77. I was alert, roads were deserted, no one else around, no one got hurt, I was in fine control, brights on, clear. Should I have gone to JAIL? NO! I didn't even pass a single person... so who cares.
There's many places in this country where speed limits are not even necessary. Someone stated that speed limits are there for safety. Not in all cases. Explain this. Why would the maximum interstate speed in one state be 55 and 70 in another? I don't know the answer, but can only speculate that it's a combination of revenue and politics.
Further proof - the Autobahn, the fastest, and safest, highway in the world. Less accidents and less fatalities there than here. I'm sure that the accidents they do have are worse, but the previous facts don't change.
Before anyone tries to twist my words (happens a lot around here), I'm not saying all speed limits should be abolished. They definately have thier place in cities, business districts, suburbs, and especially neighborhoods, which should be between 20 and 25 IMO.
I've got a new law I'd like to propose. Any traffic infraction penalty should be enforced at the maximum rate, then doubled, if the infraction occurs while the driver is on a cell phone. And yes, this means that we'd be talking serious jail time for 100+ while taliking on a cell phone.
Further, .08 is stupid. .1 is at least fair. When was the last time you watched the news, and heard about a fatal accident, and then the anchor coms on and says, "The driver was .09, just past the legal limit." ? Answer - never. Does this ring a bell?: "The driver involved in the fatal accident was 2 (or 3) times the legal limit." .08 is another way for politicians to act like they're getting tough on drunk driving, but really saving no lives, just creating tax revenue and making life difficult for good people.
Final disclaimer- I have never been to jail, never had a DUI, never had a ticket for more than 21 past the limit, 3 tickets total in my life. Therefore, these are my personal feelings, not distorted by personal grudge/experience.

Sorry, rant over.

By the way, I voted No.
[/b][/quote]

You make a very good case and I agree with you on every count...especially the cell phone issue. I've been guilty of making two careless errors while talking on the cell phone (always in city traffic) that should have landed me in the morgue or at least jail. Therefore, I try to never use it unless absolutely necessary and will now pull off the road to use it. I would totally support a law that bans them while driving.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nynvolt @ February 23, 2006, 4:39 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
With todays modern cars and tires, 100mph is not nearly as reckless as it once was.
[/b][/quote]
True...especially on 6 lane wide, completely deserted freeways. I consider these roads safer than 2 lane autobahns where BMW's and Porche's are breaking 150mph all day long.
Old 2/25/06, 10:37 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05GT-O.C.D. @ February 23, 2006, 10:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Further proof - the Autobahn, the fastest, and safest, highway in the world. Less accidents and less fatalities there than here. [/b][/quote]That's not proof of the effect speed limits on accident and fatality rates.

What it is proof of is that stricter licensing requirements results in better drivers. In the US, if we had to take the kind of tests and training required in Europe, it would be more expensive to get a license, and people would be screaming about their "right to drive" being denied.

It isn't the speeds. It's the drivers.
Old 2/25/06, 11:55 AM
I lust for a M24

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HastaLaVista @ February 25, 2006, 12:40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That's not proof of the effect speed limits on accident and fatality rates.

What it is proof of is that stricter licensing requirements results in better drivers. In the US, if we had to take the kind of tests and training required in Europe, it would be more expensive to get a license, and people would be screaming about their "right to drive" being denied.

It isn't the speeds. It's the drivers.
[/b][/quote]

I'll give you that point.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yup.gif[/img]

I think another big factor is the mentality of the drivers, not just their skill. With no speed limit, when someone comes up behind you on the Autobahn at a 20mph closing ratio, and flashes their brights, the person in the left lane immediately moves right, if they haven't already done so.
Here, people think "The speed limit's 55, I'm already doing 59, I'm not moving over for anyone." ... clogging traffic, angering others, and being a factor in the sometimes reckless reactions of others.
Old 4/16/06, 06:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nick85 @ November 23, 2005, 8:56 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
People that should go to jail

Cell phone users
women drivers
drunk drivers

People that should be left alone
Responsible speeders (in fact i've AVOIDED accidents by accelerating up to high speeds and getting away from the drunk cell phone type driver.
[/b][/quote]

Don't forget SUV drivers and old people! I nearly got ran down (yes, they chased me down the sidewalk) by a drunk old lady on a cell phone in an SUV. True story.
Old 4/24/06, 01:54 PM

i cant drive but im figuring that i will get in trouble with over 100 speeding. especially if i get a stang
Old 2/15/07, 10:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Question

Still playing it cool in taking the car up too fast but does anyone else have some stories to share on this subject?
Old 2/16/07, 07:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thats interesting that he got let go and for that reason. Mabey this will be a wake up call to not speed.
Years ago I was caught doing 90 in a 55 speeding to work. Not long after that I was driving on the same highway and my car hydroplaned and slid sideways into a wire guardrail bouncing the car into the air and flipping over into the air and landing hard sideways into the base of 2 large trees 10 feet down. When the car finally stopped (from flying in the air), I asked myself "Are you really alive" and I was! Lesson learned.
Old 2/16/07, 01:17 PM
Bullitt Member

On a day when conditions are good, I see the daily commute traffic on I90 going into Boston routinely in the 80-85 range, half or more of the ordinary traffic is moving at this speed during that commute. People are always being pulled over, see one or two per day sometimes on the 48-mile drive in to work, but still every day of good weather brings traffic flow in the 80-85 MPH range here. The posted limits are generaly 65 MPH..
Old 2/16/07, 02:32 PM

Going to jail for >100mph !??????

Hi,

I am one of only a few Mustang GT 2005 owners here in Germany, because the Stang is not offered by Ford here in Europe officially.

Interesting discussion ">100 mph going to jail"

Here in Germany you can go as fast as you want on our "AUTOBAHN" (about the same of the US-Interstates) when there is no speed limit signed.

So I sometimes have the fun to run with my stang max. speed of about 240 km/h, that means about 150 mph without any danger of getting a ticket... but believe me, the stang is not made for this high speed...wooow... you have to be very, very concentrated!!!!!!!! at about 120 mph the motorhood starts vibriting like hell that you think it will start to lift up in the next few seconds!!! And the most critical issue are the brakes....man.....try to make a very hard brake from 150 mph....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh. I had a Porsche 911 turbo in front of me and he made a hard braking maneuver...man, man, man.....there was only one side of a newspaper between the rear of the Porsche and my front. OK, the brakes of Porsche are the best in the world, but...I will change my brakes from the series one to special BREMBO.... it is definetly to dangerous!!!!!!!

But, sound and acceleration of the Mustang are GREAT!!!!!

I LOVE MY STANG GT 2005 !!!!!
Old 2/16/07, 03:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Odenwaldraeuber
at about 120 mph the motorhood starts vibriting like hell that you think it will start to lift up in the next few seconds!!! And the most critical issue are the brakes....man.....try to make a very hard brake from 150 mph....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh.
Yeah, that "shaking hood" thing was a problem with some '05's but it can be adjusted (if you can find a Ford dealer or a Mustang guru in Germany to do it!). Also, you're correct about the stock brakes on our cars...they are inadequate for stopping from very high speeds.

Big brakes will probably be my first functioning modification...then comes the blower!
Old 2/16/07, 04:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Emu Hunter
On a day when conditions are good, I see the daily commute traffic on I90 going into Boston routinely in the 80-85 range, half or more of the ordinary traffic is moving at this speed during that commute. People are always being pulled over, see one or two per day sometimes on the 48-mile drive in to work, but still every day of good weather brings traffic flow in the 80-85 MPH range here. The posted limits are generaly 65 MPH..
Yup. Heading south toward Boston is the same.
I keep telling the guys here that I get passed all the time when I'm only doing doing 80mph on my way to work.
Old 2/17/07, 12:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by karman
Yup. Heading south toward Boston is the same.
I keep telling the guys here that I get passed all the time when I'm only doing doing 80mph on my way to work.
It sort of makes the speed limits seem silly, if you ask me. People flying by at 85+ MPH, hello?? I particularly enjoy this time of year at around 6AM while its still dark but you have good volume on the road and this is still happening.

I try not to follow suit but the car, the car just wants to go fast, officer!
Old 2/17/07, 02:39 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
The one time I went up to 90mph(not in the stang) in a 70mph zone, all videos from drivers ed suddenly flashed through my head and I thought to my self, "do I really want to die from speeding?" After that, I now follow the speed limits closely!
Old 3/6/07, 11:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Driving in Los Angeles, CA during rush hour I'm happy to just not have to step on the brakes on the freeway. And I'm estatic if i'm able to cruise at 60mph.
from 6:30am-9:00am and 3:00pm-7:00pm traffic is awful. The only way you can go 100mph in traffic like this is if you have a death wish and weaving through cars.

but at night/early morning 1am-3am i like to enjoy clear roads
and stretch out the legs.

100+ and go to jail? dang. that's not very fair. it's not like in order to go 100mph, you have to be consceince about it. sometimes when you're cruising it just happens. but guess that's the mustang's fault
Old 3/6/07, 12:07 PM
V6 Member

I've got a little story. I've drag raced since i was 16, what was fast for most people was normal for me. My dad and i rebuilt a 68 GTO (i still have it) when i was 17, stock motor, drum brakes, just a nice driver. I somehow got the idea it was ok to run from the cops, i know, the dumbest things i have ever done. I had got away 6 times in a row prior to this instance. Late one night, driving home from the g.f's house, i was doing 65 in a 45, and a cop goes by and dose a dukes of hazzard turn-around. My dumb *** reaction was, somebody thinks he can drive. So i floor it for 4 miles, was doing 150 on a 2 lane road, i can't slow down enough to turn off (drum brakes), and the road turns to dirt and i slow down, i can't see any lights by now. The road turns and ends and i am greeted by a road block complete with county sherrifs with their guns drawn. After some quality time with them, the original cop shows up, and i am placed in the car with him, he told me i was going faster than he could radar, so he used the speed he was going, to pace me. After a lot of crying and apoligizing, i got a speeding ticket for 125 in a 25, and my dad had to come get me. Before i get flamed, i know it was, stupid, reckles, dangerous, and everything else, my son just turned 16, and i know i will get it back in spades. YES, I SHOULD HAVE WENT TO JAIL.
Old 3/6/07, 12:39 PM
Cobra Member

You were very lucky, Mike.

How bout some pics of the car.
Old 3/6/07, 01:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 13 MIKE
My dad and i rebuilt a 68 GTO (i still have it) when i was 17, stock motor, drum brakes, just a nice driver. I somehow got the idea it was ok to run from the cops, i know, the dumbest things i have ever done.
Mike,

WOW....I too, had a '68 GTO (my favorite car of ALL time) and pulled a similar stunt in that car about 25 years ago. Always regret selling that baby: 1968 GTO, 4speed, 400 HO, 3.56 w/posi traction..what a gas that was.

It's amazing how youth sometimes does stupid things to all of us...glad to hear you're alive to talk about it!

Quick Reply: Taken to jail for driving over 100mph?