2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Suggestions for the new stang

Old 6/20/18, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for the new stang

Hey guys, so it's coming to that point in my life i'm sure many of you can relate to; moving away and buying you're own car and place. I'm joining the Army as a reserve and leave in a week or so which means after my training i'll have a nice little amount to put towards my car. i've always wanted a little simple mustang and like the 05-09 style of stangs. i was just wondering if what things i should look for or look out for when trying to buy? automatic is easier. looking to spend about 5-6k on it and how many miles is too many miles? any tips would be appreciated.
Old 6/20/18, 08:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Mileage isn't the key, although sure, maybe a 300,000 mile Mustang isn't a grand idea...

No, it's the little things. Chassis looks relatively clean underneath? Seats aren't torn up (except drivers maybe a little, normal wear y'know?) Does it drive, ride, steer nice? Does it look like the owner gave a crap, besides shining it up for the sale? Does it make weird noises, overly squeaking and creaking, rattly, etc, ad nausem, or is it nice and tight and quiet for the most part (understanding it's a slightly older than new Mustang of course.) AC works, heater works, radio works, all the things(tm) work? Any sort of good documentation regarding maintenance?

Yeah to enough or all of them?

Maybe it's a good one to get.

But be aware: It's going to be a crapshoot. I've bought a couple of really nice looking, riding, driving cars with low miles and they were fantastic. I've then followed them up with really nice looking, riding, driving cars with low miles and they were absolute crap. Of course there were the really nice looking, riding, driving cars with low miles on them that were just 'meh' in terms of good/bad... they were good enough for the job is all.

So do your best. You'll know... probably...

And hey.. it's a Mustang. Parts all day long. Mustangs, Ol' Chevy Trucks, wanna say old Beetles... three of the better cars for repairability from parts alone. You could have a Mark VIII. Good luck for parts with that. Point being that choosing a Mustang means you can probably fix it if it goes weird on you.

For what it's worth, you can read about Awesome below, and I got her in '08. She had 18K on her at the time. She's now got 162K on her, and excepting a right rear wheel bearing and the connecting rod of the clutch master cylinder, she's only needed maintenance items such as brakes, fluids, tires, plugs... and just now, time for a clutch. Should have it all done this weekend, and I'll be shootin' for another 160K or so if she'll do it.

But I've had cars similarly acquired, similarly good looking, low miles, seemed fine... and man, did they ever (siphon with a large amount of negative pressure).

Aka, crapshoot. Even the best looking/driving/riding/working car can go nightmare mode. They're called a green 1995 Lincoln Mark VIII. Or at least, mine was. Heh.

For what any of that is worth. Hope it helps. Welcome to the forums!

Good luck, pics when you get it!

Last edited by houtex; 6/20/18 at 08:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (6/21/18)
Old 6/21/18, 11:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 386 Likes on 283 Posts
houtex is correct, it's a crap shoot. I looked around for awhile, and found an '06 GT with 89K miles. After I changed all of the fluids, fuel filter, put brakes, serpentine belt, and plugs in the car it has been a very good car. However, in my area of the south this car (once again a GT) cost nearly twice what your budget will allow. Of course the GT's are higher, and the V6 cars more in line with your money. Just do your due diligence, and hopefully you can find that car that suits you. Good luck, and thank you for for joining the Army reserve.
houtex (6/21/18)
Old 6/21/18, 05:17 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,615 Posts
Houtex and Wanted33 both spot on!
The following 2 users liked this post by Mustang Freak:
houtex (6/21/18), wanted33 (6/22/18)
Old 6/25/18, 04:17 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Agree with he above ^^^ as well. But, look around a little and know what each year had to offer.. There are some great buys out there in my area. Just got to be patient and watch the ads. Many of the early S187s that were babied are being replaced with the new models. Look around and you will surely find someone’s pride and joy for a steal. Be leary of the heavily modified, but the eye test will usually give ;you an idea of how it was treated.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 6/25/18 at 04:20 PM.
wanted33 (6/30/18)