General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Strange film all over car

Search this Thread

Old 8/26/12, 09:38 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange film all over car

Yesterday I discovered a strange film on my 2011 Race Red pony. You cannot see it except on the glass. I found it when I tried to clean the windshield and it kept streaking. The micro fiber cloth I used seemed to 'drag' on the glass. Upon closer inspection I found a gritty feel on all glass and paint, and on the vinyl tape stripe. I used a single edge razor blade to scrape across the glass and found a fine, black material. I was able to clean the glass surfaces with Glass Wax and some elbow grease. But I haven't tried cleaning the paint yet. I'm not sure what to use on the paint. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 8/26/12, 09:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My best SWAG (scientific wild @$$ed guess) is that someone did some spray painting outside and the breeze that day deposited it on your car.

Paint cleaning clay and quick detailer should take care of the problem... then rewax the car as the clay will strip the wax.
Old 8/26/12, 09:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Down here in So FL we are infested with spiraling white flys that feed on most palm trees and live oaks. They cause a sticky substance that gets on anything near the infected tree. It washes off our cars with any good liquid soap and a little extra elbow grease, as long as you don't let the residue build up. The residue appears transparent, but eventually turns everything black if not removed.
Old 8/26/12, 10:49 AM
V6 Member

Ah, spray paint. I did use a couple paint bombs on some tractor parts (I also love old iron) last week but the car was in the garage, I was outside. However, the door was open and moving air will no doubt carry the mist anywhere. I suspect I am my own worst enemy here. I will get the claybar kit and have at it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bossman, we don't have those white fly things here in western PA but we sure have our share of cicada. They make a big 'splat' when they hit the w/s. Thanks.

KT
Old 8/27/12, 05:01 PM
V6 Member

Followup: got a clay bar and WOW, does that clean the paint. Took whatever it was right off. Great stuff.
Old 8/30/12, 11:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice, a single page, very useful thread. Thanks OP
Old 8/31/12, 03:31 AM

Does a clay bar wear down the clear coat or does it just take off the the dirt and debris? In other words is it safe to use every once in a while as needed?
Old 8/31/12, 09:31 AM

clay bar and clear coat

Originally Posted by rumblee1
Does a clay bar wear down the clear coat or does it just take off the the dirt and debris? In other words is it safe to use every once in a while as needed?
Excellent question. I'm interested in the answer too.
Old 8/31/12, 10:18 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Clay Bar will not wear down your clear coat..
Old 8/31/12, 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Use of clay bar removes the bonded above the surface contaminants that regular car washing cannot remove. If you touch your paintwork and it felels like 400 grit sandpaper; that is the bonded contaminants. When done, your paintwork should feel as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Last edited by DaGonz; 8/31/12 at 11:44 AM.
Old 8/31/12, 12:17 PM

No! As long as you follow the Mfg. directions using a Clay bar will not harm nor will it damage the clear coat except remove any and all contaminants that that have found their way on or into your clearcoat and or into your pain!!

BUT, before using a Claybar! You should first use Ultra Dawn liquiid dish soap. This soap will CLEAN/REMOVE ALL Wax and Polish from your car thus making it easier for the Claybar to do it's job of removing the contaminants such as glass paritcles metal shavings, brake dust from peoples cars and all those freight hauling big rigs! Everything that is flying around that you can and can't see! After washing & drying your car, then run your fingers or use a clean washed microcloth (not one straight from the bag) and slide it over your cars paint. If it isn't slick like glass, definitely use a good Clay bar. I use only Zaino products on my pony but, Meguiar's or Mother's are good. Whatever your preference. JUST MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW UP WITH A GOOD POLISH AND OR WAX! And have fun!!
Old 8/31/12, 03:14 PM
V6 Member

I guess what I've read here is accurate. All I know is I never used a clay bar before. I stopped by my local body shop and had a chat with the owner. He looked at my car (he had just repaired some damage from a raccoon collision) and said "get a clay bar kit and follow the instructions." Well, let me tell you! It worked wonders! Took a couple hours but not hard work....just take your time. Then a coat of my favorite wax and it looks better than the day picked it up.

Last edited by slufoot733; 9/1/12 at 08:15 AM.
Old 9/1/12, 07:31 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DaGonz
Use of clay bar removes the bonded above the surface contaminants that regular car washing cannot remove. If you touch your paintwork and it felels like 400 grit sandpaper; that is the bonded contaminants. When done, your paintwork should feel as smooth as a baby's bottom.
Yes a good test is put your hand is sandwich bag and run across paint to feel any contaminants
Old 9/1/12, 09:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
That film on your car was from the chemtrails