General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Should I worry (about check engine light)?

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/14, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I worry (about check engine light)?

I keep getting this "wrench tool" light on my mustang. I havent done any tunes on it all, its all stock. I heard its the "limp home" mode, it loses power.

I turn off the car and it goes away, its only happened twice - I read the Manual and it says to take it to the dealer I already made an appointment but until next Saturday because of my job. I just need to know if I should worry?

Name:  46NzOBs.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  627.6 KB

Last edited by intoadaze; 7/13/14 at 07:42 PM.
Old 7/13/14, 07:58 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
1. How does it feel when you drive it?
2. Have you noticed any unusual noises, hesitations or anything at all?
3. Have you checked under the hood? oil etc?

I would worry alot if it rides or sounds funny. otherwise i'd worry only a little. perhaps a wiring issue triggering the light? Till the appointment, i'd check everything i could and drive it carefully till then.
Old 7/13/14, 09:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Yep, fluids first, and as mentioned, as long as nothing feels/sounds weird, I'd just drive it cautiously until the appt.

The wife's DD had an intermittent check engine light. The dealership asked if it was blinking (it wasn't) and said we should be okay for a week till we could get it in as long as it wasn't blinking. This actually surprised me.
Old 7/14/14, 07:11 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
Just use your own judgement about the 'feel' of everything and check all fluids. You just don't know about these 'idiot' lights on cars nowadays. If something sounds or feels 'off', yes I would worry and not drive it.
My 2002 BMW had some type of idiot light go on almost constantly for one thing or other. I swear it was just to make money for the service departments. It was 'nothing' 95% of the time as I eventually learned from the forums and experience. I had a different light come on several times during a cross country trip once. My trip could have been ruined by constant dealership visits. I knew the lights were BS and I never had an issue during the entire 6,000 miles trip. With newer Fords? I haven't had the issue yet but I only have 20k miles on the car like you do.

Last edited by NC14GT; 7/14/14 at 07:13 AM.
Old 7/14/14, 09:35 AM

Answer to the questions:

I've noticed that when I drive normal speed everything is fine. It's only when I decide to step on the gas and go fast that the light turns on after I start lowing down. Here is what happens(car is automatic btw).
Car is normal at 1000rpm, I hit the gas and it changes to "2nd" gear but once I'm in this gear it's where it gets all weird. Instead of my car changing gears at 2000rpm it goes all the way up to 3000rpm and this is where it feels kind of like it's forcing it self a bit to make the change. After that it just goes back to 1000rpm and the light turns on, making my car lose power.

No noises at all, the only hesitation is when I try to go fast and it doesn't let me, it feels as if I'm limited to 60mph.

I checked under the hood, everything looks fine. Also checked for oil spills or any liquids and nothing of that sort.

Thanks for replying, anybody else has had an experience with this on their 5.0? or other cars?
Old 7/14/14, 09:38 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by intoadaze
Answer to the questions:

I've noticed that when I drive normal speed everything is fine. It's only when I decide to step on the gas and go fast that the light turns on after I start lowing down. Here is what happens(car is automatic btw).
Car is normal at 1000rpm, I hit the gas and it changes to "2nd" gear but once I'm in this gear it's where it gets all weird. Instead of my car changing gears at 2000rpm it goes all the way up to 3000rpm and this is where it feels kind of like it's forcing it self a bit to make the change. After that it just goes back to 1000rpm and the light turns on, making my car lose power.

No noises at all, the only hesitation is when I try to go fast and it doesn't let me, it feels as if I'm limited to 60mph.

I checked under the hood, everything looks fine. Also checked for oil spills or any liquids and nothing of that sort.

Thanks for replying, anybody else has had an experience with this on their 5.0? or other cars?
without looking it up, it sounds like limp mode of some sort, and not just a wayward light. if it was me i'd get her into the dealer sooner rather than later.
Old 7/14/14, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by DarrenGT
without looking it up, it sounds like limp mode of some sort, and not just a wayward light. if it was me i'd get her into the dealer sooner rather than later.
I was searching on Google and Youtube late last night and this was the only answer I found, "limp mode".

I'll try and get here to the dealer asap, though it's a bit diffucult because of my working schedule, I'm so worried now
Old 7/14/14, 09:58 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

well fingers crossed they can resolve it easily.
Old 7/14/14, 10:29 AM

I hope so, thanks a lot for the help everyone!
Old 7/14/14, 01:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Have you had the codes checked? A parts store will usually check them for free. You can also check with a tuning device. Depending on what radio you have and if Ford still has "test mode" built in, there's that as well.

I'd get the codes checked, so you have an idea what's wrong. If the light starts blinking, definitely shut it down. But as long as you're still in warranty, I'd bring it in asap.
Old 7/14/14, 03:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Had the same thing happen to our previous '10 GT. Wrench light, limp mode, and slow go. Stop the engine, turn it back on, and all is well. Not to worry, it WILL happen again. Ours was a throttle body sensor going bad. Forty five minutes, and a cup of joe, and we were on our way. Good luck, I hope your's it that simple.
Old 7/15/14, 10:43 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I keep getting this "wrench tool" light on my mustang. I havent done any tunes on it all, its all stock. I heard its the "limp home" mode, it loses power.

I turn off the car and it goes away, its only happened twice - I read the Manual and it says to take it to the dealer I already made an appointment but until next Saturday because of my job. I just need to know if I should worry?
Hello intoadaze,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service and I recommend you speak with the service manager at your Ford Dealer and have him check it out. He is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

You can schedule an appointment online here. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 7/15/14, 08:52 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for taking your time in replying. Luckily the light hasn't turned on since I posted this thread. I'm still taking it in for service on Saturday and hope all is well.

Thanks again.
Old 7/20/14, 10:04 AM

i had an automatic VW and the limp mode light did NOT go on and i had a trans leak…didn't realize i was loosing fluid until it was shifting poor..then it was too late.

so i would not drive on limp mode
Old 9/30/23, 03:36 PM

I have the same car, same exact problem

Answer to the questions:

I have a 09 Mustang V6 automatic with overdrive. It has the same exact problem, took it back to the dealer and he changed the transmission fluid, the filter in transmission and the shifting sensor, It drove a little better for about a day but now the overdrive light is flashing, check engine light is on with code P0775 and it revs to 3000 rpms when you try and get on it with giving it gas and wont go anywhere faster, actually have to let off the gas for transmission to actually kick back into driving instead of just reving, did anyone ever find a solution or is a new transmission the only route to fix it?
Old 9/30/23, 03:50 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,862 Posts
Originally Posted by IvannaRide
I have a 09 Mustang V6 automatic with overdrive. It has the same exact problem, took it back to the dealer and he changed the transmission fluid, the filter in transmission and the shifting sensor, It drove a little better for about a day but now the overdrive light is flashing, check engine light is on with code P0775 and it revs to 3000 rpms when you try and get on it with giving it gas and wont go anywhere faster, actually have to let off the gas for transmission to actually kick back into driving instead of just reving, did anyone ever find a solution or is a new transmission the only route to fix it?
Welcome To Tms!

Be Advised That This is an Old Post So Likely No Help from the Original Posters. But No Worries We Will Revive The Legacy Post and Now You Have The Floor! I Checked Your Code and it Could Be Simply They Did not Get Transmission Filled Properly When it Was Serviced. They Are a Pain to Do Correctly! I Would Stop Driving and Return it to Servicing Dealer And Have it Checked! I wish Thay Had Put a Dipstick in those! It Should Not have to Be an Ordeal for Something So Simple! also it was a Good Way to Check Fluid For Condion! Anyhoo Here is the Code Info! You Did Not Say How Many Miles You Have! A Lot May Lean Towards Trans Replacement!

The Condition of The Old Fluid Would Be a Good Yardstick to Measure The Current Conditon of The Transmission. Were you Advised to it's Condition?? Just Old Looking or Full of Junk Debris?

The P0775 code is triggered when the PCM detects pressure control solenoid “B” is experiencing a malfunction. A malfunctioning transmission solenoid can be caused by low or dirty transmission fluid, wiring issues, or simply old age.

Sounds a Lot Like my Health!

If You are Going To Be a Regular Please Introduce Yourself in the Introductions Section with a Few Pics! Love to see Your Stang! If you are Just Passing By I am glad To Help as well!

Mgb,

KC