General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Road & Track Provides new Details on Mustang Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 5/16/14, 01:02 PM
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Road & Track Provides new Details on Mustang Ecoboost

Clearly, we all probably should just move on from the debate over whether the Mustang Ecoboost is a fitting name for the new model of the pony car.

It’s a done deal now as Ford is already kicking up promotions for the car by holding a recent closed-course ride-along for a few select journalists including the guys at Road & Track.

Notice I wrote “ride-along” as those who attended the event weren't allowed to actually drive the car. That'll come later.

More on the blog.
Old 5/16/14, 07:04 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a real shame what they have done to our beloved Mustang...
Old 5/16/14, 07:37 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by rynaldo
It's a real shame what they have done to our beloved Mustang...
Yeah . . . darn retro theme over the last 10 years has been a "sore eye!"
Old 5/16/14, 07:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
The Ecoboost does look fun....good amount of power, a bit of weight savings, and high powered four cylinders are fun.

Haters gonna hate.
Old 5/16/14, 10:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
The Ecoboost 4 is a hell of a lot better than an Econobox 4. It was going to happen. Anyone crying over it simply doesn't want to admit the obvious.
Old 5/16/14, 10:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
The Ecoboost 4 is a hell of a lot better than an Econobox 4. It was going to happen. Anyone crying over it simply doesn't want to admit the obvious.
I don't get the hate. I really don't. It just seems like blind bigotry by those stuck in the 60's and 70's. It's supposed to make the same power as the current V6, and even more torque. It's NOT a slouch by ANY means.

Sometimes I get the feeling some folks would be happier with some huge, under powered V8 being in it, that gets horrible mileage. I mean, the Ecoboost has more power then most Mustangs have ever had, since it was introduced.

People are acting like it's the worst possible thing to happen. Stop worrying about how many cylinders it has, and start worrying about how it actually performs.
Old 5/17/14, 04:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I don't get the hate. I really don't. It just seems like blind bigotry by those stuck in the 60's and 70's. It's supposed to make the same power as the current V6, and even more torque. It's NOT a slouch by ANY means. Sometimes I get the feeling some folks would be happier with some huge, under powered V8 being in it, that gets horrible mileage. I mean, the Ecoboost has more power then most Mustangs have ever had, since it was introduced. People are acting like it's the worst possible thing to happen. Stop worrying about how many cylinders it has, and start worrying about how it actually performs.
It was sad driving my 03 GT, knowing the Honda Accord V6 next to me had almost as much power...or the Genesis Coupe I4/Focus ST had more power

BUT, none of those cars would ever sound like the BEAST that my 4.6 with Bassani CB and catted X sounded like
Old 5/17/14, 04:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I don't get the hate. I really don't. It just seems like blind bigotry by those stuck in the 60's and 70's. It's supposed to make the same power as the current V6, and even more torque. It's NOT a slouch by ANY means.

Sometimes I get the feeling some folks would be happier with some huge, under powered V8 being in it, that gets horrible mileage. I mean, the Ecoboost has more power then most Mustangs have ever had, since it was introduced.

People are acting like it's the worst possible thing to happen. Stop worrying about how many cylinders it has, and start worrying about how it actually performs.
I have to take issue with those stuck in the 60's and 70's comment. The first Mustangs in the mid 60's and the very early 70's looked and ran great, IMHO! Also, even though things evolve, I personally liked the looks of them. (From 64 1/2 to 73, 69 being my favorite)

The Ecoboost 4 cylinder might be a good engine, however to me a performance car needs that 8 cylinder engine & exhaust note. As a daily driver, the 4 cylinder might offer great mileage and still good performance over a V6 as well, however a V8 I believe will have more options for power upgrades.

I personally do not care for the new 2015 style, however if that is what you and others like, I am glad for you all. I do not "hate" the new car nor the Ecoboost 4, I just personally like other more retro styled Mustangs.

Regards,
Phil

Last edited by Phil_R; 5/17/14 at 04:58 PM.
Old 5/18/14, 12:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
I will say the thing does look good in yellow.