General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

This really burns me!

Search this Thread

Old 9/16/18, 02:59 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Angry This really burns me!

We had a little excitement last weekend. And not the good kind…

Wife and I made a morning run to Starbucks so she could get her fix. On the way back home we then stopped at a park close to home to do the morning walking. Since I had back surgery in April the morning walk has become a constant in my routine. I put in about 3.5 to 4 miles on the weekdays, but like to push to get 6 or 7 miles on the weekend mornings. So after about an hour and a half we decide we have had enough. We return to the parked car and head for home.

Once we get in the house the Wife sends me back out to the car to get her cellphone out of the glove box. I look, even empty the few items in there, but it is not there. At first I was thinking she did not take it with her, but she keeps her Starbucks card in there along with her driver’s license and a couple of credit cards. So, yes she had to take it with us to pay for the coffee. She is adamant that she put it in the glove box, says she knows she did because she remembers it was difficult to close. She won’t back down. I try find my iPhone... Well wife was trying to keep the phone from ringing and placed it in airplane mode. Kinda kills the radios and ability to track when in that mode. I told her to just use the vibrate switch in the future...

After searching the car for about an hour making sure it did not fall behind anything or fall into the console, we return to the park to look around and make sure it did not fall out of the car or her pocket. Ask a folks few in the area, but nothing so we returned home.

About the time we get in the house I receive a text alert that a $500+ charge was hitting one of our credit cards. This is like an hour and a half after we finish our walk and initially get home. Instantly I know someone has her cards. Luckily this one wants me to verify the $533.91 purchase at Walgreens. The charge is happening in a town that is more that 30 minutes away. I return a big No and head to my wallet to pull my matching card to make the kill the card call to the bank.

Well my wallet was also locked in the car with her phone while we walked. When I open my wallet I am dumb-founded. I just freeze. Where the he** are my cards? All three of my credit cards are gone. They left my debit cards, driver’s license, and luckily enough my passport card. They had re-positioned my cards to keep the wallet about the same width. It even looked like they left my cash, but noooo. They were very calculating and left me four $1 bills to make it look like my cash was still there. They took at least $120 in bigger bills.

We called and canceled everything taken or not. They did have the wife’s phone to take pictures of anything they left, so not taking a chance. The initial warning charge did not go through card number 1, but did go through on card number 2. Also while I was talking with bank number 2 a second $1000+ charge was caught process and stopped.

Now the blame switches. Wife is quizzing me like I did her. “Are you sure you locked the car?” I know I did. Since the key lock buttons are opposite of my Jeep I have to really pay attention when I lock it. I did not press twice for the horn, but I did watch for the front lights to flash. Yes I know I locked it! But still someone got in our car. I know it was locked when we returned. Wife could not get in until I unlocked, and I heard the click when I press the key fob. We noticed nothing wrong when we entered the car. My wallet was exactly where I left it, house keys were still there. No strange odor in the car, like after shave or cigarette smoke, there was nothing to give it away.

Called the local police, they seem thrilled, not at all. We had left the scene. I know they have more important things to do than car content theft. Not much they could do, but they did file a report and quiz me on what happened. I can tell this is going nowhere.

Wife and I start trying to figure out how they got into the car. We find hand prints and finger prints that I would never leave on the car. I faithfully clean windows, and at least dust the car to keep it clean. So we know those must be related to the break-in. While looking the car over all of a sudden I notice the key hole on the driver’s door is massive. My key no longer will fit or work. Found it!

So I call back the officer that I originally reported to. He seems much more interested now. I have prints and a punched out lock. So he comes out and does a real investigation. Checks out the car and dusts the prints. He states he has been on the local force for over 28 years and has never seen or heard of any MO like this one. He is concerned we have a new car thief in the area, or someone passing through. He is surprised that the lock is still intact and not completely knocked out.

What a pain in the A$$ this was. Took the entire week to get back to semi-normal. So I am out the cost of replacing a 3 month old iPhone, cash, and getting my car repaired. Just need to decide if it is enough to file a claim. Still need to get the car fixed. Looks like it will be about $400 with parts, labor, and re-keying to fix the lock. I am just thankful that whoever this was must have had some respect for the car. There was no paint damage, no interior damage, nothing that I can find. Everything looks good except for the lock he punched. Wife and I are fine, no one was hurt. Could have been much worse.

Since the keys to my home were in the car and they got the Wife's drivers license we had the locks on the house changed. But that probably would not stop them if they interested in coming in anyway.

So just a heads-up. Our cars are not safe even locked and it a busy public park lot. This was a out door parking lot near the rest rooms and kids play area. There were many people around and within view of the car. My alarm did not go off. We had no indication that anyone had been in the car. While walking the wife and I split up to walk our own pace. One of us was passing with the car in view about every 8-10 minutes. No one saw anything.

Check out this keyhole….
Attached Thumbnails This really burns me!-img_7227.jpg  
Old 9/16/18, 03:19 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Wow people suck! Glad that you were safe and that your car will survive.
The following users liked this post:
shaneyusa (9/16/18)
Old 9/16/18, 04:03 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,678 Likes on 1,199 Posts
WOW!!! That is horrible. People do suck big time!! Sorry this happened to you. I hope that they can catch the scumbags!
Unbelievable!
shaneyusa (9/16/18)
Old 9/16/18, 05:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I have recently started noticing something I found odd, but sorta makes sense... My left door lock actuator was going out. More times than not, then worse and worse, it wouldn't unlock the door, so I had to resort to using the key to unlock it after pressing the fob button.

But then I sorta got into the habit of just unlocking the door with the key... and I can't recall once the alarm going off. I know I set it. I always, without fail, double hit the fob arm button to be sure it's armed, and it's been a while since I left it, so...

And just now, I know I armed it a couple hours ago. Went out to test, did nothing but unlock the car with the key... no complaints.

I think they disarm themselves if you use the driver key. So using a screwdriver or whatever will also work.

BTW, I did finally switch the actuator out, in case that matters.

People (word for siphoning with a large amount of negative pressure). Sorry you're goin' through that. Be sure to keep an eye on your identity, watch for credit hits. It could be a card scammer, which would be great, but since drivers license is in there... And if you do see a hit, file a report and file with a credit bureau for protection. Experian, Transunion or Equifax. It's a seven year 'call me before you approve any credit thing' and it's renewable, I just called and said "keep it on". 7 more years. And it works, I did some poking about for car insurance rates, they had to call my cell phone, as it's the only number I list. I've yet, thank goodness, to hear a call out of the blue on a credit hit. For what my ID theft experience is worth. Stay on it, don't let up, and yes, it's a pain. But that's the world we live in.
shaneyusa (9/16/18)
Old 9/16/18, 06:05 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I hate a **** thief.
The following 2 users liked this post by SpectreH:
shaneyusa (9/16/18), Stage_3 (9/17/18)
Old 9/16/18, 08:16 PM

Thanks to all of you guys! Thanks for the additional info HouTex. Yup we filed a credit alert with the big three. Will be watching that stuff close. I do not trust the scumbags. I still think there will be another shoe drop on this one, but trying to stay one step ahead.

Seems to me if you unlock without a chipped key shouldn't the alarm work the same as pulling the interior door handle to open. Well it evidently does not check if the key mechanism turns all is good. Should go ape sh** on a fake key or screwdriver...

Watch you back out there...
Stage_3 (9/17/18)
Old 9/16/18, 09:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The door handles don't have a PATS sensor in 'em. The car couldn't care less about what you have in it. Only that it can't move without the PATS key.

But there's good news! You can *totally* disable the lock by just disconnecting the rod in the door! Or buy a 2015+ Mustang, which don't have key locks anymore...

shaneyusa (9/17/18)
Old 9/17/18, 12:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Wow that is horrible. Some Gone in 60 Seconds crap in real life. Clearly not an amateur. Ballsy too. Next time don't leave anything in the car. If I'm going to work out I leave my wallet at home and just take my license and one credit card. I have insurance card on my phone and in the glovebox. I mean I do have thousands of dollars of detail equipment in the trunk right now, but good luck with that lol
shaneyusa (9/17/18)
Old 9/17/18, 06:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Sorry to hear this, that sucks. You should see if there are any surveillance cameras nearby that may have caught the perp breaking in.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rog13GTCS:
shaneyusa (9/17/18), Stage_3 (9/18/18)
Old 9/17/18, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
The door handles don't have a PATS sensor in 'em. The car couldn't care less about what you have in it. Only that it can't move without the PATS key.

But there's good news! You can *totally* disable the lock by just disconnecting the rod in the door! Or buy a 2015+ Mustang, which don't have key locks anymore...

Yea, I guess that makes since. Guess I need to buy a real alarm.

Wow, so what do you do when your battery goes dead with a 2015+?

Originally Posted by laserred38
Wow that is horrible. Some Gone in 60 Seconds crap in real life. Clearly not an amateur. Ballsy too. Next time don't leave anything in the car. If I'm going to work out I leave my wallet at home and just take my license and one credit card. I have insurance card on my phone and in the glovebox. I mean I do have thousands of dollars of detail equipment in the trunk right now, but good luck with that lol
Yup leaving nothing in the car of value. Never again. Even question the truck since you can pull down the rear seats and get to it.

Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
Sorry to hear this, that sucks. You should see if there are any surveillance cameras nearby that may have caught the perp breaking in.
Already know there are no cameras. Park is at the edge of town, more rural than city. Nothing out there, at least not yet.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 9/17/18 at 09:33 PM.
Old 9/17/18, 11:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Yea, I guess that makes since. Guess I need to buy a real alarm.

Wow, so what do you do when your battery goes dead with a 2015+?
Apparently, this:

So I *LIED*... (Alternate word meaning 'condemn', which would ostensibly be a perfectly cromulent word, but some people mean it to be so much worse than 'condemn', so there we are with the filter) them. (Repeat aforementioned word here, please) them for tricking me like that...

So the rod is the trick.

And *THEN* don't let your battery die.

/I sorry for bein' ignorant...

//But hey, bonus, I got to be part of the 10,000 today!

Last edited by houtex; 9/17/18 at 11:53 PM.
Old 9/18/18, 07:05 PM

Oh so condemn -- CON and vict or scumbag...

Tricky, so Ford thinks the condemns will not figure this out? I guess at least it is a try.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 9/18/18 at 07:06 PM.
Old 9/19/18, 03:43 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Sorry to read about this. Can't trust anyone
shaneyusa (10/20/18)
Old 9/19/18, 12:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Dang. People are terrible. I hope karma catches up to them real quick.

Worst thing I've had happen to my car by an intentional act was a time I went to large outdoor concert. I always like to get their early, but that also means showing up before everyone else has parked. 40,000 people, one HUGE parking lot, one entry gate. After getting into the lot, I proceeded to the rear corner where no one would walk by my car. Local security came after me in their Police Cart and told me that I could not park back here and that I must go up front to the people being herded and corralled. Told him I did not trust parking up there and the 40k people walking by it. He didn't care.

I begrudgingly listened and parked with everyone else. Whenever I have to park near people, I always do a walk around to make sure no one grazed my bumper, or dinged my doors when I come back. What I came back to made me sick to my stomach. Someone keyed 2/3rds of my car. They went out of their way to do so. Started with the rear right trunklid, then down the entire drivers side where they started over again when they hit the seams, then went completely across the hood. Pressure so hard, they made it though the racing stripes and down to the bare metal.

I know for a fact that if I had seen this "kid" do this, he'd be in the hospital, and I'd be in jail.

I contacted the venue, sent them the pictures, and told them my story about being forced to park up front. They didn't agree to having my car re-painted, but did reimburse me my ticket. I haven't been back to a concert there since. That was 2012.

Last edited by woody24; 9/19/18 at 12:04 PM.
Old 9/19/18, 02:03 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,678 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Originally Posted by woody24

Worst thing I've had happen to my car by an intentional act was a time I went to large outdoor concert. I always like to get their early, but that also means showing up before everyone else has parked. 40,000 people, one HUGE parking lot, one entry gate. After getting into the lot, I proceeded to the rear corner where no one would walk by my car. Local security came after me in their Police Cart and told me that I could not park back here and that I must go up front to the people being herded and corralled. Told him I did not trust parking up there and the 40k people walking by it. He didn't care.

I begrudgingly listened and parked with everyone else. Whenever I have to park near people, I always do a walk around to make sure no one grazed my bumper, or dinged my doors when I come back. What I came back to made me sick to my stomach. Someone keyed 2/3rds of my car. They went out of their way to do so. Started with the rear right trunklid, then down the entire drivers side where they started over again when they hit the seams, then went completely across the hood. Pressure so hard, they made it though the racing stripes and down to the bare metal.

I know for a fact that if I had seen this "kid" do this, he'd be in the hospital, and I'd be in jail.

I contacted the venue, sent them the pictures, and told them my story about being forced to park up front. They didn't agree to having my car re-painted, but did reimburse me my ticket. I haven't been back to a concert there since. That was 2012.

That's horrible!!!! I would be pissed off beyond belief. I'd definitely be in jail too bro. This is why I NEVER park my car and leave it unattended. Too many douche bags out there. Whether it be jealousy, carelessness or just being a dick.
Good luck!

Last edited by Stage_3; 9/19/18 at 02:04 PM. Reason: added text
Old 9/19/18, 03:52 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Absolutely horrible I also would NEVER go back to that venue EVER!!!
Old 9/19/18, 06:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by woody24

Wow that sucks. Unreal how mean some people can be.
Old 9/19/18, 09:36 PM

Wow that really does suck! I am pretty sure getting the paint fixed was much more than a ticket to the show. Seems like their insurance (if they had any) should have covered it.

Mine was a real pain, but at least they did not damage the car other than the lock. Looks like somewhere between $328 & $368 to fix the lock if there are no surprises when they get inside. At least that is the cost of the two bids from the local trusted Ford dealers. Not real happy about them tearing my door apart to fix it. Who knows what I will get out of that...
Old 9/22/18, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is becoming a commonplace occurrence. This sort of thief seeks out places where people are likely to partake in some sort of physical activity where carrying a purse or wallet is not desirable. They watch people as they leave their car or go back to it to put something back in it. Go back to the place, and look for someone sitting in there car, pretending to be on their phone etc. Doubtful it was just a random break in. If they've been there once and scored they will probably be back,
Old 9/22/18, 11:26 AM

I figure the same... We now walk to the park and back as part of our exercise. Fool me once...

Quick Reply: This really burns me!