The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   General Mustang Chat (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/)
-   -   Quality Control in 1964...? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/quality-control-1964-a-527908/)

Silverick 1/28/14 09:04 PM

Quality Control in 1964...?

3 Attachment(s)
I have a '65 Mustang Fastback (Marie) with 73,000 original miles that my dad owned since '72 and we knew the single previous owner before my dad bought the car... The car had never been in any type of accident and the only real imperfection that the car had, was a small dent in the hood that was caused by the 1971 Sylmar/Newhall earthquake when a can fell off of the shelf in the garage and landed on the hood, which my dad had repaired immediately after purchase.

I am getting ready to drive Marie from San Francisco to Las Vegas in April and I want her to look as good as she can so, I have been pouring over the car, cleaning and detailing the little areas that show any age or just need a little TLC and replacing interior bulbs that didn't work...

I was a kid when my dad bought the car, and the rear of the console NEVER had any light so, I was surprised to notice what looked like a lens. So, I removed the lens to find out what type of bulb that I needed to buy and.... there were never any bulbs installed! Just two perfect, shiny clean, empty sockets!!

Next, I notice the upright bumper guards on the front. I think that one is a front guard and one is a rear guard. I attached a picture.

Then, I'd like to have a matching exterior door mirror for the passenger side and wanted to match the manual mirror on the driver's door. I starting shopping and looking at my choices, have looked at many, many other early Mustangs but, I have yet to find a mirror like the factory mirror that I have.... I attached a couple pictures of the mirror.

The last item is that my door code says that I have a 2.80:1 rear gear. I also have a Mopar with a 2.76 rear gear with identical diameter tires. The Mustang runs at 2,900 rpm at 70 mph.
The Mopar runs at about 1,800 rpm at 70 mph and I know without a doubt, that the tag on the Mopar is correct and .04 doesn't translate into 1,100 rpm....
I think that the Mustang has a 3.00:1 or even a 3.20:1....

Any thoughts or suggestions?

The rear gear is what it is...!

Maybe match up the bumper guards and leave the mirror situation as is?

ER12883 1/28/14 10:47 PM

Not sure what the question is with the bulbs. It's possible a PO didn't want the lights to come on.

As far as RPMs, I'm guessing the difference you are seeing has more to do with trans gear than rear gear.

ER12883 1/28/14 10:48 PM

Or look on the housing, there is usually a data tag held on by one of the bolts. Or count driveshaft revolutions compared to wheel revolutions.

Silverick 1/29/14 11:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ER12883 (Post 6750620)
Not sure what the question is with the bulbs. It's possible a PO didn't want the lights to come on.

As far as RPMs, I'm guessing the difference you are seeing has more to do with trans gear than rear gear.

Thanks for the response...

As far as 'questions', you're correct, I wasn't very clear and I suppose that they are as follows:

1) I'd like to know, from someone with a stock C code '65 or '66 with a
2.80:1 rear gear ratio, what are their RPMs at 70 mph in their cars....

Like I stated, I have 2 cars with almost identical rear gear ratios, with identical tire size yet an 1,100 rpm difference. (1,800 - 2,900)

My thinking, is that regardless of trans gears, the final ratio in a stock C4 trans would/should be 1:1, which would eliminate the transmission and point to the final ratio in the rear gear....
Also, the stall speed in the torque converter is low and there wouldn't be much, if any, slippage at 2,900 rpm.

2) Does anyone recognize this rear view mirror and is there a passenger side 'match' for my existing driver's door mirror?
It looks like a Ford mirror, has many adjustments yet, I can't find another like it on a Mustang.
Fairlane or Falcon?
IF I had another 'driver's' door mirror like this, there are enough adjustments on the mirror that it could work on the passenger side and look like it belongs there...

3) Yes, the PO could have removed the bulbs but, the single PO only owned the car for a few years, was in a wheelchair and it sort of doesn't make sense to me. Especially since both of the lead wires coming into the sockets were sticking out beyond the socket and weren't in their final position at the bottom of the socket... along with the fact that the insides of the actual sockets didn't have a mark on them.

4) Lastly, my point was that I believe that the car came from the factory with the mismatched vertical bumper guards, mirror, etc....

Maybe I'm thinking too hard? lol

wanted33 1/29/14 12:33 PM

Silverick, you have just described my '67 Camaro. I think quality control consisted of, "does the car run"? If so, ship it out. Of course with that being said you know I wouldn't take anything for the car. It been in the family for 40 years, and it's just too much fun. :grin:

Silverick 1/29/14 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33 (Post 6750804)
Silverick, you have just described my '67 Camaro. I think quality control consisted of, "does the car run"? If so, ship it out. Of course with that being said you know I wouldn't take anything for the car. It been in the family for 40 years, and it's just too much fun. :grin:

I think that you're correct!!
I know the history of this car and there are just a couple of things that 'quality control' is the only sensible answer!!
My Mustang isn't for sale, either! And the "fun" has just begun!!

Silverick 1/29/14 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So, I crawled under the car and got my answer....

It is NOT a 2.80:1 ratio like the "6" on the door tag states.

It is a 3.20:1 which explains why it kind of snaps off the line from a dead stop...

ER12883 1/29/14 11:38 PM

Most off the surprise oddball parts on my 67 are definitely after the fact (1978 FMX trans, 1980 302 motor for starters), so it's anybody's guess what parts Ford mismatched and what parts a PO mismatched :)

This is only a guess, but it seems like a lot of little things off with your car - enough that I would guess it didn't come from ford that way. Not a big problem unless you're a stickler for originality - you can always procure the correct repro parts. Complete speculation, but is it possible it was taken to mechanics along the way for fixes and non original parts got put back on? 48 years is a long time for a car to stay completely stock.

Either way, nice car, and enjoy the 3.20 gears! I verified a little bit ago that mine has the correct 3.00 rear...but I have mixed emotions about it.

Silverick 1/30/14 06:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ER12883 (Post 6751143)
This is only a guess, but it seems like a lot of little things off with your car - enough that I would guess it didn't come from ford that way. Not a big problem unless you're a stickler for originality - you can always procure the correct repro parts. Complete speculation, but is it possible it was taken to mechanics along the way for fixes and non original parts got put back on? 48 years is a long time for a car to stay completely stock.

Either way, nice car, and enjoy the 3.20 gears! I verified a little bit ago that mine has the correct 3.00 rear...but I have mixed emotions about it.

Thanks for your response and your guess may be correct but, my dad bought this car which had 16,000 miles on it in 1972, from the original owner who was in his 60s, in a wheelchair and my grandparent's neighbor.
The one major addition that the previous owner was responsible for is the dealer installed air conditioning unit in 1965, when the car was purchased which was verified in the documentation that came with the car but, no documentation regarding any drivetrain repairs or modifications.

During the 41yrs that my dad had the car, any maintenance, tune ups, shocks or brakes were performed by me or 'us' with the exception of oil changes, lube, or tires because they'd age and crack...

I will enjoy the 3.20 rear end but, actually wish that it was a 2.80 for the trip to Las Vegas!!

I added a couple more pictures.
Check out the date on the "next service due" sticker... and the mileage on the odometer in May 2013!! lol
The picture with the car under the little cover is from the late 70s or early 80s and I think that the tires are low on air from not being driven....
The other picture is a current picture...

ER12883 1/31/14 07:08 AM

Difficult to tell from their pic compared to yours...but if you need a pass side mirror and it's actually stock style, CJPP would have one:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/standard-...4-1966/p/ME1S/

She is a beautiful car!

wanted33 1/31/14 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my baby Rick. Like you my Dad bought this one in 1973, and it was completely stock. The car was sold in the next county over, and stayed in one family until it was traded. Other than the normal wear parts, the color, and wheels the car is what we call a "numbers matching" car. People ask me is I will ever sell the car. I tell them never is a long time, and a lot of things can happen, but as of today the car has a home. Now, if someone comes along with more dollars than sense my dear old Dad would say, "Son, never let two fools meet".:)

Attachment 194986

Silverick 1/31/14 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by ER12883 (Post 6751644)
Difficult to tell from their pic compared to yours...but if you need a pass side mirror and it's actually stock style, CJPP would have one:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/standard-...4-1966/p/ME1S/

She is a beautiful car!

Thank you ER!!
A few weeks ago, I looked at that mirror in the link then, went to look at my existing mirror....
Yes, similar but, mine is different and it was after I noticed the differences, and all of the adjustability of my stock mirror, that I took pictures and started this little thread!!
I think that if I do install a passenger side mirror, I'll buy a pair of the mirrors in the link that you posted...
Thanks again!!

Silverick 1/31/14 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by wanted33 (Post 6751797)
This is my baby Rick. Like you my Dad bought this one in 1973, and it was completely stock. The car was sold in the next county over, and stayed in one family until it was traded. Other than the normal wear parts, the color, and wheels the car is what we call a "numbers matching" car. People ask me is I will ever sell the car. I tell them never is a long time, and a lot of things can happen, but as of today the car has a home. Now, if someone comes along with more dollars than sense my dear old Dad would say, "Son, never let two fools meet".:)

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/...aroPics002.jpg

Beautiful Camaro!! And the sentimental history is valuable!! I'm happy for you!!
I've never owned a Camaro but, my best buddy is building a '69 the same color ... and has well more than 6 figures into it, so far! I expect that it will be in magazines at some point...

wanted33 2/1/14 02:24 PM

^^^Wow, six figures. I certainly didn't go that far, but you know how it goes. When you start it doesn't take very long until the budget figures is just a piece of paper. I ask the body shop guy why everytime he called, and said we have a problem it cost only "ME" money. :grin:

Thank you for the compliment also.

kcoTiger 2/1/14 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33 (Post 6751797)

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/...aroPics002.jpg

There are few things in life as beautiful as a 1st generation Camaro. My wife's dream car is a 60's Mustang fastback, but I've always been partial to the '69 Camaros. I know some consider that sacrilege, but considering I own a Shelby, I don't wanna hear it. :)

ER12883 2/1/14 04:50 PM

Love the 69 Camaro...love the fastback Mustangs more thou :)

wanted33 2/2/14 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by kcoTiger (Post 6752364)
There are few things in life as beautiful as a 1st generation Camaro. My wife's dream car is a 60's Mustang fastback, but I've always been partial to the '69 Camaros. I know some consider that sacrilege, but considering I own a Shelby, I don't wanna hear it. :)

kco, the 69's are the most popular of the old Camaro's. May be because it was a one year body style, but that's just a guess. I remember seeing my first '69 Convertible pace car at a Charlotte dealership. Dude, that was love at first sight. But at 16 years old all I could do is drool. At that age if it cost a dime to go to China, I couldn't have got out of sight. :grin:

Silverick 2/6/14 08:04 PM

I found a matching '65 bumper guard for Marie yesterday for $20. It bugged me and it's better than buying a pair of new repros...

wanted33 2/7/14 02:30 PM

I know exactly how you feel brother. Original stuff is as rare as hens teeth.

fdesalvo 2/12/14 10:19 AM

I just want to say thanks for this thread. There's something magical about these ol' beasts. Thanks for sharing, guys.