General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 5/5/08, 07:41 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that's an 11 inch wide tire mounted on an 8 inch rim?
Old 5/5/08, 07:48 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
NO! Get a rear medallion if you really want one and call it day.
You don't like Bill's polished fuel door? I like the rear medallion, so I won't be changing that.

Originally Posted by officespace56
Its hard to tell how it will look with the rims until they are on with tires. Maybe get a side shot of the car once the rims are on and get some opinions??
I'll definitely post more pics. I don't think I would get a polished fuel door. I do know where to get a one-of-a-kind SHR polished fuel door with "Mach 1" on it, though, instead of "GT".
Old 5/5/08, 09:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on the wheels Tom! they look great

The Socal crew is still without coverage.
Well its not a feature but my PJ was in this month's mustang enthusiast, In their coverage of last years saleen carshow/cruise and fun ford weekend at cal speedway. They even used a pic that jed took!

Wheels and tires look good Leo, You should be able to hook up now!!
Old 5/5/08, 10:05 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by BLCKNED
How dare you guys eat someone else's ribs after eating Ray's!! Thanks again Ray. I had such a blast. Why didnt we meet earlier?
Sorry I'm a rib *****!

Jed
Old 5/5/08, 10:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Jed & Bill- What a bunch of aholes. Making fun Charlie right in front of him. It's sad the the vortech unit is bigger than the intake manifold. You guys should tell him he needs new a-arms to match that nice looking "K-memba"
Actually Charlie ordered the A-Arms but they are coming later due to a mix up. So his "K-Memba" will be complete.

Jed
Old 5/5/08, 10:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by USMC0341
Congrats on the wheels Tom! they look great

Well its not a feature but my PJ was in this month's mustang enthusiast, In their coverage of last years saleen carshow/cruise and fun ford weekend at cal speedway. They even used a pic that jed took!

Sweet I'll have to check it out!

Jed
Old 5/5/08, 10:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JedCranium
Charile had some new mods to share here are some shots.

Cool members only jacket

Old 5/5/08, 11:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rim and Tire together=f'n heavy. They must weigh atleast 40lbs a piece.
Looking good Leo.. have you at least tried them a little ???? I would have.

I thought you thought I was nuts for suggesting having them welded ? Either way.... Much better to be safe than sorry. Even if you don't have his power levels if you ever do, , you won't have to worry about that part.

I haven't even read the previous page or so...

If you haven't go see IRONMAN Kick *** movie for sure. This and maybe Batman to some extent aren't so far fetched that it is entirely fantasy. It's just enough that maybe, just maybe it could be real... that makes the movie for me. RDjr... smartass, but nailed it.
Old 5/5/08, 11:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Wow, that's an 11 inch wide tire mounted on an 8 inch rim?
Yup. Is that a good or bad wow?

You don't like Bill's polished fuel door? I like the rear medallion, so I won't be changing that.
I like it on his but IMO doesn't go with your theme. Remember I tried one on my car but just couldn't get over the fact that it looked like a spot on my car. I like your new rims though. I wasn't sure when you first posted them last week but I think they look pretty badass now. I'm sure they'll look even better with tires.

Thanks. I sure hope so.

Originally Posted by JedCranium
Actually Charlie ordered the A-Arms but they are coming later due to a mix up. So his "K-Memba" will be complete.
Jed
What was I thinking. It's not like Charlie to do something halfway.

Cool members only jacket
I've always wanted to wear one. I think we should have "members only" jacket night out.

Originally Posted by habu
Looking good Leo.. have you at least tried them a little ???? I would have.

I thought you thought I was nuts for suggesting having them welded ? Either way.... Much better to be safe than sorry. Even if you don't have his power levels if you ever do, , you won't have to worry about that part.

I haven't even read the previous page or so...

If you haven't go see IRONMAN Kick *** movie for sure. This and maybe Batman to some extent aren't so far fetched that it is entirely fantasy. It's just enough that maybe, just maybe it could be real... that makes the movie for me. RDjr... smartass, but nailed it.
Nope I've been to lazy since I don't feel like taking the spacers off. Hopefully I'll be trying them this Friday.

I didn't think you were nuts it's just I didn't think it would be necessary. But then I figured even if it costs $50 (Only cost me $10) for welding better than the price of a new bracket and having my bumper repainted.

Saw Ironman on Saturday and I totally agree it was badass. By far in the top three best superhero movies. My ranking Batman, Ironman, Spiderman, Punisher.
Old 5/6/08, 12:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

Nope I've been to lazy since I don't feel like taking the spacers off. Hopefully I'll be trying them this Friday.

Saw Ironman on Saturday and I totally agree it was badass. By far in the top three best superhero movies. My ranking Batman, Ironman, Spiderman, Punisher.
Forgot that the spacers weren't a easily removed option.

IRONMAN really surprised me, even with the hype. I don't like Gwyneth Paltrow (however you spell her name) but she looked hot as a redhead, of course I have a soft spots for redheads... Gillian Anderson anyone ???
Old 5/6/08, 12:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by habu
Forgot that the spacers weren't a easily removed option.
Well mine are pretty easy it's just that I'm being lazy. All I have to do is remove five nuts and they're off. So it's like removing two tires from the same wheel well.

The stuff from MossMustang will be here tomorrow. I love ordering stuff from vendors in Cali.
Old 5/6/08, 07:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Tom- New wheels look very cool. What size tires are you installing on them? Also, congrats on another magazine shoot!

Leo- DR's look mean and all business! I hope after all this, you'll be able to put down the power of the 4.10's and DS to the ground and make them stick.
Old 5/6/08, 08:12 AM
GTR Member

Yup. Is that a good or bad wow?

Not good or bad... just that 275's usually go on 9" wide rims, but I guess they work on 8" rims, too!

We're seeing Ironman tonight!

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Tom- New wheels look very cool. What size tires are you installing on them? Also, congrats on another magazine shoot!
Thanks to both! Same tires I have right now - they are still in great condition, so 255/45-18. I had them swapped this morning (just got home). Even Wheel Replicas recommended that I stay with all 18x9's since putting 18x10's on the back with these rims show no real difference. He said it wasn't worth it to not be able to rotate front to back.

BAP install looks clean, BTW!

----------------

They had wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System kits on sale ($235), so I had them install the sensors inside each of the tires. The sensors transmit PSI and TEMP to a little receiver inside the car. You can go through and look at each tire individually, and it gives you a warning if tire pressure drops below a set PSI, or if temperature goes above a set point.

They normally install on the back of the valve stem, but the valve stem is too long (and doesn't look good). So, on nice looking rims, they install the sensors with 3M double sided tape and a band that goes around the entire inside of the rim (obviously before the tire is mounted). I was skeptical at first, but after seeing it installed, no way is that sensor going anywhere.

Wish I had my camera... I would have taken some pics. The guy actually let me in the shop area and I was checking to make sure each of the sensors was mounted perfectly and that the bands were tight. I always butter them up and tell them how I appreciate that they take care of the rims like they own them.

He also called me over when he balanced them and did an inside-only dynamic balance. It gets a weight on the lip of the inside of rim (if needed) and tape weights on the flat part of the rim closely mounted to the outside (which they paint to match the rim - flat black in my case). Each rim required 2.25 oz of weight or less and then he showed me how it balanced out to 0.00 oz when he was done.

I have always liked Discount Tire - I think I'll write them a letter after this service, though.

Last edited by 89Trooper; 5/6/08 at 08:18 AM.
Old 5/6/08, 08:26 AM

BAP install looks clean, BTW!

----------------

The sensors transmit PSI and TEMP to a little receiver inside the car.

He also called me over when he balanced them and did an inside-only dynamic balance.
Thanks!
I only wish that I read my own how-to before April 15th.
-----------------
What's the TPMS receiver look like? And where did they mount it?

I never got how those tire guys use those balance machines.. close lid, it spins, open lid, put on weights, repeat like 2 or 3 times more.
Old 5/6/08, 08:31 AM
GTR Member

What's the TPMS receiver look like? And where did they mount it?

I never got how those tire guys use those balance machines.. close lid, it spins, open lid, put on weights, repeat like 2 or 3 times more.
I'll take a pic of it when I take pictures of the new rims (with tires). They didn't mount it since I never take the car with me. I'll find a nice place to mount it.

The machine does all the work. 1. Spins to detect out of balance. 2. Tells them where to put the tape weight and moves the tire (and the arm that holds the tape) into the exact position. All the tech has to do is press on the tape! Then it moves the tire into the exact position to get the iron weight. Then the tech taps it into place. 3. Spins to verify perfect balance.
Old 5/6/08, 08:39 AM

The machine does all the work.
And here I was giving them too much credit!
Old 5/6/08, 09:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Leo- DR's look mean and all business! I hope after all this, you'll be able to put down the power of the 4.10's and DS to the ground and make them stick.
Thanks. If some how I still can't get traction I'm turning around and selling the MT's and rims asap. I'm sure I'll be fine as most people using the MT's are FI and pushing alot more power than me.

Not good or bad... just that 275's usually go on 9" wide rims, but I guess they work on 8" rims, too!
Yeah I know but if you check out all the drag tire threads the majority of people run the same setup with no problem. Heck Brenspeed even sells that as their "drag wheel setup" Only difference being they use the full on slick as opposed to the radial.
Old 5/6/08, 10:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Bill- While everything's apart might as well put this stuff in.
http://www.mossmustang.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=48563

http://www.mossmustang.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=51603
Old 5/6/08, 10:37 AM

I like those Python clamps, but those colored silicone hoses are .

At this point, I just want my new engine in and running. It sucks having the car out of comission this long (going on 6 weeks now). And if anyone mentions that I don't drive it anyway.. bite me.
Old 5/6/08, 10:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks. If some how I still can't get traction I'm turning around and selling the MT's and rims asap. I'm sure I'll be fine as most people using the MT's are FI and pushing alot more power than me.
If for some reason that happens, and I honestly don't think it will.... I call first dibs on the wheel/DR combo.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)