General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/08, 05:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got off the phone with GMS. Bought their chrome double strut bar. Impulse buy... Helps ease my stress over the stupid spark plug deal. Lol
Old 4/22/08, 05:35 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
All this talk about FI vs NA and money spent etc. got me thinking about Karman's Car Karma.
What do I want out of my Mustang?
I may put in the MGW shifter and alum. driveshaft and UPDs after the warranty runs out.
I don't think I will do much more. I intend to keep this car a long time.
Now...
I only have a car and a truck now.
I have been known to have 3 or 4 vehicles at a time.
Will I get another Mustang and put a blower or turbo on it. YES !!!
Right now though, I think my next vehicle will be a low gas mileage 4x4.
They should be dimes on the dollar by next spring.
Old 4/22/08, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by JonCo
Just got off the phone with GMS. Bought their chrome double strut bar. Impulse buy... Helps ease my stress over the stupid spark plug deal. Lol
Mine is polished stainless, not chrome. What did you buy?
I love mine and everyone asks me where I got it.
Old 4/22/08, 05:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by habu

Enough Pontificating....

Leo, when you getting DRs and are you going with the Brenspeed deal. Tom281 and a couple others say the M&H racemaster tires are the ones to get !!!!
Ok first and foremost........ WTF does "pontificating" mean LOL? Is that, like, a west coast thing? hahahaaa

Oh and secondly, as I've said before the Brenspeed deal is nice and those ET Streets will FLAT HOOK. I know, I've seen them raced many many times by Brent and his crew. Remember the main reason why I tried M&H is because I have 4.10 gears and wanted a 28" (taller) tire to help relieve some pressure. Don't get me wrong I love my M&Hs but if I was NA or didn't have 4.10s I probably would have bought the ET Streets.

Originally Posted by mikes rx
This is why I especially like POTR (and TMS as a whole, too).
+1. Although Saleen>Whipple>Turbo>Centri>NA.

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
DR's-I may convince myself to do them put at the some point. I'm just scared of breaking the tranny or rear differential. For now I'm sticking to my guns and I'm done with performance mods. I'm happy with the car as is for now.

I know you guys are probably thinking "wow Leo's being a big ***** right now. Worrying about breaking stuff." It's just I'm happy with the car right now and don't want to go through the hassle of dealing with problems that may or may not arise from the added stress of the slicks. As you've seen in the past I don't have the greatest luck with mods. Look how many months I dealt with my ducktail dilema. The car being a daily driver I can't afford for it to sit in a shop or my garage untill I have the $$ to pay for something that breaks.
I'll shut up now. Back to blower and FI talk.
Hey Leo you don't need to justify anything to me man, no worries there. As long as you're happy, I certainly don't care as it is none of my business. I was just trying to explain my thought pattern along the lines of FI and future expansion plans, that's all.

So I was going to take delievery of my car. But a leak arose which he said wasn't a big deal. Quick stop at the local auto shop and it would be fixed. He was wrapping up the install and a spark plug broke off into the cylinder... He said there's a TSB on the plugs. He said He's going to try and get it without having to remove the heads but he may have to. He'd let me know of the additional cost involved.

Is he "OK" in doing that? Passing on the cost to me? Or is that something I can dissagree with or do I not have a choice since my car is in his hands? Hopefully its done tomorrow... At this point I just want my car back.
I'll be the only ***** here and say that you should pay for it, and likely will have to. It's not your fault he broke it, just like it's not his fault that Ford released a questionable design with a bad plug to boot...... Believe me we've probably all been in a situation where a dealer or mechanic has broken something on a car while performing a job that you're paying him to do- and we've ended up having to pay for it.

You should return it, so you have money to pay for the plug repair.
Old 4/22/08, 05:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Brian & Jed: Have to disagree.. to an extent. Yes, having an 'aftercooler' (in the case of centris) will and does lower the IAT, thus creating more power. However, having a non-cooled unit does not equate to another TacoBill episode. There are plenty of cooled SC's that suffered catastrophic events. With adequate fuel delivery and a stable tune, the non-cooled blowers are fine or else why sell it? Doesn't Whipple and a couple others sell non-cooled SC's?
Tom2 has driven his non-cooled Vortech thru the summer months of Indiana (with his stock bottom end) and made it through just fine. Will my HP decrease when it's get really hot? Yeah, most likely will.

Luis: +1 to that.. I enjoy hanging out with the fellas, with or without the Stang (although better with ).

Leo: I hear where you're coming from.. hey, don't you still owe me 2 beers?

Jon: Geez, isn't that typical when it comes down to the wire on picking up your car? There's always some gremlin that pops up.
Hope you get it fixed and returned to you quickly.
Old 4/22/08, 06:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by karman
Mine is polished stainless, not chrome. What did you buy?
I love mine and everyone asks me where I got it.
My bad. I think your right. It just looks chrome from the pictures I;ve seen. I think its one of the nicer looking strut bars. It may not be the tuff'est but who cares? Lol

Originally Posted by tom281

I'll be the only ***** here and say that you should pay for it, and likely will have to. It's not your fault he broke it, just like it's not his fault that Ford released a questionable design with a bad plug to boot...... Believe me we've probably all been in a situation where a dealer or mechanic has broken something on a car while performing a job that you're paying him to do- and we've ended up having to pay for it.

You should return it, so you have money to pay for the plug repair.
Yeah, I'm not going to fight it or anything. I'll just pray he doesn't screw me with labor. But what can ya do? Nothing cept pay. At this point even if it is another couple hundred its nothing compaired to what I've spent so far. And I will not return the strut bar...

Originally Posted by TacoBill

Jon: Geez, isn't that typical when it comes down to the wire on picking up your car? There's always some gremlin that pops up.
Your telling me... And I was so excited tomorrow is my day off from work. I woulda spent it cleaning and detailing the car. lol
Old 4/22/08, 06:06 PM
GTR Member

Although Saleen>Whipple>Turbo>Centri>NA.
NA<Centri<Whipple<Saleen<Turbo
Old 4/22/08, 06:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Car show for us Socal guys. This is one I planned on attending last year but changed my mind. Might consider it depending on how many of you are in.
http://www.mustangownersofca.org/pub...008woodley.pdf
Old 4/22/08, 06:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok first and foremost........ WTF does "pontificating" mean LOL? Is that, like, a west coast thing? hahahaaa
pontificate
verb |pänˈtifiˌkāt| [ intrans. ]
1 (in the Roman Catholic Church) officiate as bishop, esp. at Mass.
2 express one's opinions in a way considered annoyingly pompous and dogmatic : he was pontificating about engines and forced induction.
Oh and secondly, as I've said before the Brenspeed deal is nice and those ET Streets will FLAT HOOK. I know, I've seen them raced many many times by Brent and his crew. Remember the main reason why I tried M&H is because I have 4.10 gears and wanted a 28" (taller) tire to help relieve some pressure. Don't get me wrong I love my M&Hs but if I was NA or didn't have 4.10s I probably would have bought the ET Streets.
Not knocking the MTs They are both a great deal... Tom, does your track require a Fire jacket for you because your blown ?? Found out that if I want to race I have to get one of those too. (only because they're 300 bucks or so)

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Brian & Jed: Have to disagree.. to an extent. Yes, having an 'aftercooler' (in the case of centris) will and does lower the IAT, thus creating more power. However, having a non-cooled unit does not equate to another TacoBill episode. There are plenty of cooled SC's that suffered catastrophic events. With adequate fuel delivery and a stable tune, the non-cooled blowers are fine or else why sell it? Doesn't Whipple and a couple others sell non-cooled SC's?
Tom2 has driven his non-cooled Vortech thru the summer months of Indiana (with his stock bottom end) and made it through just fine. Will my HP decrease when it's get really hot? Yeah, most likely will.

Luis: +1 to that.. I enjoy hanging out with the fellas, with or without the Stang (although better with ).

Leo: I hear where you're coming from.. hey, don't you still owe me 2 beers?

OK I hear ya, but just don't completely agree. I'm not saying it will blow up, just that the aftercooler(wtf?) is extra insurance, IMO.

Leo Gotcha. I get it. Panties un-knotted.

Jon sorry to hear about your problems, I think he should be responsible if only because he knew about the TSB and should have followed the procedure. If he did and it still broke.... I dunno. Bill is right, there is always that ONE friggin thing that totally screws your plans, some are bigger than others.
Old 4/22/08, 06:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
+1. Although Saleen>Whipple>Turbo>Centri>NA.
Turbo != Whipple >Saleen> KB> Centri> NA

note to self: Get a time slip to back up your big mouth
Old 4/22/08, 06:59 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
brian, that's stupid about the jacket, we've got a racecar with 750hp, runs the 1/8 in 6 sec at 102, we dont need a jacket. So dumb

lets make people happy here FI=*NA, * is that you're happy with what you got
Old 4/22/08, 07:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
LOL, I knew I could count on you..... hahahaaa

pontificate
verb |pänˈtifiˌkāt| [ intrans. ]
1 (in the Roman Catholic Church) officiate as bishop, esp. at Mass.
2 express one's opinions in a way considered annoyingly pompous and dogmatic : he was pontificating about engines and forced induction.
OK, got it...... "pompous, and dogmatic"........ hahahhhaa

Not knocking the MTs They are both a great deal... Tom, does your track require a Fire jacket for you because your blown ?? Found out that if I want to race I have to get one of those too. (only because they're 300 bucks or so)
Never heard of it...... both tracks I've been to in my region (note I say region because one is 1.5 hours away and the other is almost 2.5 hours away) only make you wear a helmet, full legged pants (no shorts) and closed shoes. And if you run 11.5 or faster with a couple, you have to have a roll bar. (with practice, I may need one but at that point I will stop- I'm not having a roll bar.)

Turbo != Whipple >Saleen> KB> Centri> NA

note to self: Get a time slip to back up your big mouth
Time slips come in handy..... If you hit 11.8 or faster this year I'll buy pizza and beer for you.
Old 4/22/08, 07:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

What are some good speakers(resonably priced) worth looking into. I would liek clearer highs and deeper lows. I dont listen to my music super loud or anything so nothing like 2 15's or anything. But I would like clearer sound. Something classy sounding.

I might buy some GT500 pedals off ebay tonight. Who knows...
Old 4/22/08, 07:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

What are some good speakers(resonably priced) worth looking into. I would liek clearer highs and deeper lows. I dont listen to my music super loud or anything so nothing like 2 15's or anything. But I would like clearer sound. Something classy sounding.

I might buy some GT500 pedals off ebay tonight. Who knows...

I use Eclipse Point-Source speakers; they're older but still great. MB Quart, Boston Acoustics, etc. make great speakers. MTX has made great subwoofers for years but also makes some pretty decent mid & high speakers that are affordable.
Old 4/22/08, 07:26 PM

My bad. I think your right. It just looks chrome from the pictures I;ve seen. I think its one of the nicer looking strut bars. It may not be the tuff'est but who cares? Lol
Yeah, I'm not going to fight it or anything. I'll just pray he doesn't screw me with labor. But what can ya do? Nothing cept pay. At this point even if it is another couple hundred its nothing compaired to what I've spent so far. And I will not return the strut bar...

Your telling me... And I was so excited tomorrow is my day off from work. I woulda spent it cleaning and detailing the car. lol
It may not be the "tuff'est" bar around, but it is probably the strongest.
It is wicked overkill and it matches my polished aluminum wheels nicely.
Everyone does think it is chrome when they see it.
Old 4/22/08, 07:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I saw it on one of Vortech's customer cars on their website. I had my eye on it since then. I want to do some more chrome/polish accents under the hood to tie in the vortech
Old 4/22/08, 10:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Socal Peep's are any of you going to this?

I know there's some open wounds between BCMC and Edelbrock. Anyone going to this I'm thinking about it...That incident was before my time

Jed

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=463216

Old 4/22/08, 10:04 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
dang jon, I think you caught the mod bug bit you hard. Going to 2 years worth in 2 months!
Old 4/23/08, 06:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

'morning chiklets
Old 4/23/08, 07:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
dang jon, I think you caught the mod bug bit you hard. Going to 2 years worth in 2 months!
Lol, promotions at work will do that for you. Just got paid the other day and I didn't know. And I get paid again next week. So I'm slammed with extra money. Haha

'morning chiklets
Mornin'

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)