General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/08, 09:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I look at it like this. As a kid I was a Ford guy and Elliot fan. ALthoug I did like Gant in that Skoal car. I dislked Waltrip just like I dislike Gordon. But in retirement I like DW, I like the respect he showed Earnhardt in death that publicly he didn't show in life. I will root for Jr. period. For those who didn;t see his father compete you have no idea what Nascar is about. He was the Intimidator, he was a black car with a win or else attitude, he was what an American and a Southerner should be in a race car. I miss him I must say as sappy as that sounds. But anyway in my older age I'm more about the driver and who I like or respect. I respect Tony though I might not always like him. I dislike the Busch boys, indifferent about Jimmie Johnson, and lothe Gordon. Does anybody like Gordon? I mean really I guess Californians might like him I don't know. Anyway I think its truly an american racing sport and though they are not as stock as they used to be, they are safer. I mean just look at that kid who walked away from basically the same kind of wreck into the wall that killed Dale Sr.
So pretty much what your saying is Dale Sr. was the Favre of the sport?
Old 4/7/08, 09:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Does anybody like Gordon? .
I always liked Gordon over Earnhardt. I don't know why you wouldn't like Gordon. I'm a fan, but not hardcore by any means. He's a great driver and I really don't see any reason not to like him.
Old 4/7/08, 09:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Ah, I hated Sr. I respected him as a driver, but I never really rooted for him. Towards the end I didn't mind him because he wasn't nearly as dominant as he once was.
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Wow you ask about NASCAR and all the non-socal guys become posting maniacs.
Hell yeah! It's from all that moonshine ny grandpappy ran. I might ne kidding, but I might not be.
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What rules did they institute that make it less exciting? Is there less bumping or something?
The dependence on aerodynamics causes this more than anything else. They've tried many things in the past but haven't quite gotten it right yet.

Gordon & Johnson hate. Johnson is really guilt by association and that he's been so consistent and win so much. Gordon kid comes into the sport with the best equipment and **** near the best team and completely upset the "Old School" NASCAR. Started winning everything just when all the old-timers started going away. Didn't help that he was perceived as a "pretty boy" or just too corporate. That didn't happen until Gordon came in. The drivers have become more corporate and better looking and proper always mentioning the right sponsors at the right time and younger. It spelled the end of the heritage of NASCAR. Johnson's car is co-owned by Gordon & Hendrick, guilt by association

Originally Posted by mikes rx
See, you Cali guys don't get all the fun. We get NASCAR here in the southeast .

But to answer your question, I tend to just fall asleep for a little while during it, then wake back up for the last few laps. Or, just watch something else and flip back and forth.

Honestly, though, watching nascar on TV is pretty boring. In person it's a COMPLETELY different experience
I'm not the only one. Sunday race day can be nap time alot of the time too. Being at the track is another world.

Originally Posted by kh765
I'm with Brian about JJ. Don't like him at all, don't really know why.

As for the boogity thing, I absolutely hate that saying. I like to mute the race at the beginning because of it. I wish Kyle Petty could take his place. Great announcer. Of course, I could be a tad biased, being named after him.

I've been watching NASCAR my entire life and have been to Daytona many times. I used to skip school every year to go to the Daytona 500 qualifying races. I went to the Pepsi 400 (Firecracker 400 for old schoolers) every year for at least 10 years. Haven't been in a long time, but I still keep up with it pretty closely.
I would love once to be at Daytona or Talladega.
Old 4/7/08, 09:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hell yeah! It's from all that moonshine ny grandpappy ran. I might ne kidding, but I might not be.
See that's funny 'cause my granddaddy DID make moonshine and dad ran it. It happens in Alabama for some reason(dry state back then). They stopped, obviously, when they moved out to cal-i-for-nia in '59

No.... I would say that is more like Cale Yarborough or maybe David Pearson.

I will always root for Dale Jr. If anything because he's an Earnhardt and the kid can drive. I was very disappointed that DEI let him down.

Last edited by habu; 4/7/08 at 09:50 PM.
Old 4/7/08, 09:47 PM
Post *****

Ah, I hated Sr. I respected him as a driver, but I never really rooted for him. Towards the end I didn't mind him because he wasn't nearly as dominant as he once was.
I know its weird. He is a good driver, very good. But personally I can't root for him and will often root against, not to wreck or anything just to get passed by Jr.

I just remember seeing Sr. finish a race once I think it was Allstar race at night wrecking as he crossed the finish line with his car on its roof. That and a lot of other memories. I also like black cars.
Old 4/7/08, 09:48 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by habu
See that's funny 'cause my granddaddy DID make moonshine and dad ran it. It happens in Alabama for some reason(dry state back then). They stopped, obviously, when they moved out to cal-i-for-nia in '59
That's cool. I was joking, but your story is cool.
Old 4/7/08, 09:49 PM
Cobra R Member

I think it would be more appropriate to say that Richard Petty was the Favre of the sport, because I don't think that anybody dislikes Favre.

Dale Sr. was a driver whom you either rooted for or hated, mainly because of his driving style. BUT, love him or hate him, he was EXTREMELY respected.
Old 4/7/08, 09:52 PM
Cobra R Member

I would love once to be at Daytona or Talladega.
My parents have to Talladega. It's out in the middle of nowhere. Maybe I can talk them into going back one day...I was to go there and Bristol. I've always wanted to see Bristol. Daytona just seems normal to me now.

I know its weird. He is a good driver, very good. But personally I can't root for him and will often root against, not to wreck or anything just to get passed by Jr.
I don't mind Jr. anymore since he started driving for Hendrick. Which is weird, because I dislike JJ so much.
Old 4/7/08, 09:54 PM
Cobra R Member

I think it would be more appropriate to say that Richard Petty was the Favre of the sport, because I don't think that anybody dislikes Favre.

Dale Sr. was a driver whom you either rooted for or hated, mainly because of his driving style. BUT, love him or hate him, he was EXTREMELY respected.
Spot on. I got to meet Richard years ago in Daytona. He seemed to like my name.

If you need anymore proof about Sr. being respected, just watch the video after he won the 500. EVERY single crew member on every team came to congratulate him. Gives me chills just thinking about it.
Old 4/7/08, 09:54 PM
Post *****

The Babe Ruth of the sport is Richard Petty "The King" won over 200 races I think and like 7 championships. It is argueable how many he would win today but its also argueable how many homers the babe would hit.

Earnhardt Sr. is more like the John Lennon, Ali, and such of the sport, perhaps the greatest talent and force in the sport but thats overshadowed by the iconic nature of his legend. The legend is bigger than the man as most legend are for those not around to not live up to them. He was big in life and bigger in death. But it was a pleasure to watch him race. Especially against that kid from California in the rainbow car.

Its getting hard to keep up here!

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 4/7/08 at 09:55 PM.
Old 4/7/08, 09:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

That's cool. I was joking, but your story is cool.
quick story... Dad tells this one alot and does it better than I could....

They always had a federal come around and search for the still or the hooch. Called Grandpa out one day and come up to the porch stood there and read him the riot act telling him that he's gonna find the stash and he'd better come clean and get it over with. Grandpa & Grandma and Dad denied everything. Acted like the Fed was crazy and they didn't know what he as talking about. The whole time the Fed stood on the porch he was standing over the hooch that grandpa had a way to lift off board of the porch to get it out. They never found a thing. Dad learned to hot-rod souping up cars to run the stuff. He used to throw a jerry can or two over the side of the truck, tell grandpa they "lost" it being chased and then go sell it to grandpas competitor for some side cash.

I didn't say Petty because he simply was the king of the sport for so long and as much as I liked Favre he didn't obtain that status in the NFL. IMO

To be slightly on topic, the rumors are also that the Busch/Nationwide series will go pony car for either 09 or 10.... Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers and whatever Toyota comes up with.
Old 4/7/08, 09:57 PM
Cobra R Member

But it was a pleasure to watch him race. Especially against that kid from California in the rainbow car.
I wish I could see more battles between Sr. and Gordon. Those 2 had some epic battles. It's too bad we couldn't see more.
Old 4/7/08, 09:59 PM
Cobra R Member

I didn't say Petty because he simply was the king of the sport for so long and as much as I liked Favre he didn't obtain that status in the NFL. IMO
Good point. I think he was more like Sr. in that respect. Sr. was moreso respected as Favre later in his career. Even I had given up much of my hatred from my early years.
Old 4/7/08, 10:01 PM
Post *****

I'm really glad to see so many POTR Nascar fans in here. Some places we're considered nuckle draggers and such. Its been fun without being your guy sucks and such.
Old 4/7/08, 10:05 PM
Post *****

Good point. I think he was more like Sr. in that respect. Sr. was moreso respected as Favre later in his career. Even I had given up much of my hatred from my early years.
I find that true about Favre in my case. Being a Cowboys fan I liked beating Favre. I respected him and am amazed at the frozen ropes he could throw. The guys arm was down right supernatural. I saw him throw 40 yard ***** that never went more than 10 feet off the ground and hit the receiver in the chest. But later in life I was pulling for Favre. Southern guy. Family man. Just a guy you could play golf with and have a beer with. I think Sr. and Favre would make for a few laughs at the honky tonk.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 4/7/08 at 10:14 PM.
Old 4/7/08, 10:15 PM
Post *****

To be slightly on topic, the rumors are also that the Busch/Nationwide series will go pony car for either 09 or 10.... Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers and whatever Toyota comes up with.
Toyota Solara?
Old 4/7/08, 10:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

So here is a fun shot....

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/I...ang_156322.htm

I think it's psracer's car... mine won't be this good but does it make me want it NOW
Old 4/7/08, 10:43 PM
Cobra R Member

I find that true about Favre in my case. Being a Cowboys fan I liked beating Favre. I respected him and am amazed at the frozen ropes he could throw. The guys arm was down right supernatural. I saw him throw 40 yard ***** that never went more than 10 feet off the ground and hit the receiver in the chest. But later in life I was pulling for Favre. Southern guy. Family man. Just a guy you could play golf with and have a beer with. I think Sr. and Favre would make for a few laughs at the honky tonk.
Being a Bucs fan, I had too root against Favre many times. I was a Packers fan when I was really young and actually started to like Favre again towards the end simply out of respect.

Toyota Solara?
I think it would be hilarious to see them use the Supra name again.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)