General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/08, 11:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I'll probably get flamed here, but unless someone runs their car on the autocross circuit, I don't understand what's wrong with the factory suspension. I think these cars handle pretty dang good while stock, and LCAs, Panhard bar, & springs along with tires make a big difference- enough for me to not warrent replacement shocks and struts anyway.

The AVIC D3 is awesome...... while my car was at Brenspeed for 2 weeks that is one thing that I missed the most about it being gone. The only thing you need for Ipod control is the cable which I think was like $30. Otherwise, the controls are great and mine has worked flawlessly. If you do the video safety bypass like I did, you can watch videos, etc. from your Ipod on the D3 screen while in motion. Plus the camera inputs and 2 other a/v inputs are awesome for game systems, etc.

The only, and I mean only, thing that I wish was different on the D3 is the Ipod search feature- there basically is none. You can sort by Playlist, Artist, Album, etc. but once you select how to sort, there really isn't a search that I have found. Meaning, if I sort by Artist it will bring up (for example) all artists in alphabetical order- then you have to scroll down thru to get to the one you want. If you listen to artists that start with M for example, you'll be scrolling down for several seconds. However all of this is down right on the touchscreen on the D3, so my Ipod is stashed in the console and is never moved. In the end, I've just created more playlists so that I can get to my faves faster and easier.

Otherwise, it's plug and play beauty.
Old 2/21/08, 11:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
I'll probably get flamed here, but unless someone runs their car on the autocross circuit, I don't understand what's wrong with the factory suspension. I think these cars handle pretty dang good while stock, and LCAs, Panhard bar, & springs along with tires make a big difference- enough for me to not warrent replacement shocks and struts anyway.

The AVIC D3 is awesome...... while my car was at Brenspeed for 2 weeks that is one thing that I missed the most about it being gone. The only thing you need for Ipod control is the cable which I think was like $30. Otherwise, the controls are great and mine has worked flawlessly. If you do the video safety bypass like I did, you can watch videos, etc. from your Ipod on the D3 screen while in motion. Plus the camera inputs and 2 other a/v inputs are awesome for game systems, etc.

The only, and I mean only, thing that I wish was different on the D3 is the Ipod search feature- there basically is none. You can sort by Playlist, Artist, Album, etc. but once you select how to sort, there really isn't a search that I have found. Meaning, if I sort by Artist it will bring up (for example) all artists in alphabetical order- then you have to scroll down thru to get to the one you want. If you listen to artists that start with M for example, you'll be scrolling down for several seconds. However all of this is down right on the touchscreen on the D3, so my Ipod is stashed in the console and is never moved. In the end, I've just created more playlists so that I can get to my faves faster and easier.

Otherwise, it's plug and play beauty.
Thanks for the review Tom. The reason I want shocks and struts is smooth out the ride some. It isn't horrible after switching to the steeda ultralites but I'd like a little more comfort. I'm sure it won't be caddy smooth but I'm sure will make a significant difference.
Old 2/21/08, 11:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I'll probably get flamed here..
You're right!

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Thanks for the review Tom. The reason I want shocks and struts is smooth out the ride some. It isn't horrible after switching to the steeda ultralites but I'd like a little more comfort. I'm sure it won't be caddy smooth but I'm sure will make a significant difference.
Along the same line, our stock struts/shocks are not tuned for lowered vehicles. They are being compressed an inch+ beyond their static height. And when driven, the compression is that much shorter, thus creating that 'busy-bumpy' ride.

The only draw back with the D-Specs for me is not being able to use the MWAG strut covers.
Old 2/21/08, 11:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Some final highlights from last weekend's photoshoot..
(Brian friendly link )

Photo Team.. Kai, Luis, Jed, and me. Not too shabby huh Ray!
I taught you guys well. Looks terrific!

+1

A S/C. If I'm under 35,000 miles by this time next year I'lll seriously consider it. I want it now but just can't swing it.

End of S/C talk for me.
When are you getting your S/C Leo?!
Old 2/21/08, 01:00 PM
Cobra Member

I'm behind again
Old 2/21/08, 01:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The only draw back with the D-Specs for me is not being able to use the MWAG strut covers.
Have you seen pics of Brads strut covers with d-specs? He just drilled a small hole in the center of them. Does it look as good as without the hole? No but it looks better than the alternative which is not having them at all. So assuming I get the D-specs I'll probably do the same. I'll try and see how they seat first though before cutting. Reason being since I only use them for show they might seat well enough that I can just leave them as is.
Old 2/21/08, 01:24 PM

Have you seen pics of Brads strut covers with d-specs?
Post a pic if you can, Leo. I'd like to see it.
Old 2/21/08, 01:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm itching for a mod. Problem is I can only get one or the other. Which of the following two would you chose? Looking to get either one early next month.

Tokico D-Spec
Avic D3

Tom281-Does the IPOD feature come standard with the avic-d3? Trying to figure out what if any add-on's I have to figure into the price.

BTW-I was doing the math on a 6k loan and the monthly payment was between 125 and 166 depending on the lenght of the loan. Hmmmm.....
I also have the Avic-D3 got it last August. I love it. Like Tom mentioned its one of my most missed feature when I'm forced to drive someone elses car. iPod integration is near flawless(except the search function). Changes the stock sound 10 times better(which you prolly know from Bill). Overall, one of my favorite mods next to the MGW shifter.

D-Specs are on my to-do list also. Just gotta manage away to get the money to do them. Not the easiest thing with this supercharger on the way...

I'm going to be annoying. Whats the 6k loan for?
Old 2/21/08, 01:59 PM
GTR Member

Have you seen pics of Brads strut covers with d-specs? He just drilled a small hole in the center of them. Does it look as good as without the hole? No but it looks better than the alternative which is not having them at all. So assuming I get the D-specs I'll probably do the same. I'll try and see how they seat first though before cutting. Reason being since I only use them for show they might seat well enough that I can just leave them as is.
I was talking about doing this awhile back. I would re-order the covers with the plain center so there wouldn't be a hole in the middle of the "GT" or "4.6".
Old 2/21/08, 02:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Not the greatest pic but....
Old 2/21/08, 02:07 PM
Cobra R Member

That looks better than I expected it to. I would like to do that with my D-Specs...I remember talking to Tom about it a while ago.
Old 2/21/08, 02:12 PM
GTR Member

Looks pretty good, actually. And the covers come off easily enough for adjustment.
Old 2/21/08, 02:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by kh765
That looks better than I expected it to. I would like to do that with my D-Specs...I remember talking to Tom about it a while ago.
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Looks pretty good, actually. And the covers come off easily enough for adjustment.
Looks good although I'd like to actually see how they sit without the hole. Assuming you get the covers before I get the d-specs please take a pic for me of how they sit before drilling a hole.
Old 2/21/08, 03:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully the Tokico's are better than the FRPP struts. I love mine but they are a bit harsh. Being able to dial them out to soften the ride would be sweet.

JMO.... go avic, then Tokico's. With the Steeda springs you probably weren't as bad as mine was with the FRPP's and the rebound, so it's liveable. If I wasn't trying to spend 8K on mine I'd be looking at the nav stuff avic or factory. The avic would have had the nod just for the iPod connectivity. But the factory one sure looks sweet.....

YMMV

I'd have something to add about the covers, but my work's network isn't pulling up the image(took me 30mins to download a 430KB pdf earlier....) Anyway I've heard it's cheaper to get them unpainted then you can have them painted anywhere for half the price. Probably get a trophy......
Old 2/21/08, 03:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
You're right!

Along the same line, our stock struts/shocks are not tuned for lowered vehicles. They are being compressed an inch+ beyond their static height. And when driven, the compression is that much shorter, thus creating that 'busy-bumpy' ride.
LOL that sounds like a salesman's pitch...... you been talking to Tillman lately or what?

j/k
Old 2/21/08, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by kh765
That looks better than I expected it to. I would like to do that with my D-Specs.
+1
Looks better than I imagined.

LOL that sounds like a salesman's pitch...... you been talking to Tillman lately or what?

j/k
I'm pretty good at spending other people's money.. just ask Leo and everyone here with a MGW shifter!
Old 2/21/08, 04:33 PM
Cobra Member

+1
Looks better than I imagined.

I'm pretty good at spending other people's money.. just ask Leo and everyone here with a MGW shifter!
I'm ordering one as soon as I can figure out what **** I want
Old 2/21/08, 04:34 PM
Cobra Member

Tell me about it,MGW shifter here as well as FRPP exhaust system, SCT and BAMA tune

BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD influence Bill
Old 2/21/08, 04:35 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by superfly s197
I'm ordering one as soon as I can figure out what **** I want
The ole **** excuse come on Louis order it
Old 2/21/08, 04:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Hey Bill, here some silicon hoses. Haven't look much into them yet. Little FYI if you didn't want the blue connections that it comes with.

http://www.racepartsolutions.com/categories.asp?cat=26

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)