General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/08, 04:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pville piper
Wow… What an eventful couple of days… Sunday I was gonna hook up with Philster in Houston til the wife pulled a fast one and wanted to have breakfast with her mother. We headed home after that. We got to Baton Rouge about 3 pm and the wife is talking to our daughter, who lives with us, when she says ” OH sh1+ I gotta go!” and hangs up abruptly only to call back to tell us that a tornado hit our neighborhood!
Adding to the tension the stang started to act up, lightly surging going up the overpasses. I thought it might be bad gas. It stalled completely when we pulled off to re-fuel north of Mobile and I barely made it to the pumps. Stalling and running rough. As I fueled up I checked the engine only to find the JLT hose clamps had come loosse at the elbow. I put it back on and it seemed fine but when I went to pull onto the interstate it went into limp mode. It re-started and gave no more problems on the way home. I had to show ID to get into my street and the police were patrolling all night long.
We sustained minor damage to the roof and windows, most of our privacy fences are down, my 12x24 workshop got rolled and my 8x10 metal shed is MIA… We were very lucky. I walked around the neighborhood yesterday and I am amazed that no one was killed. It looks like a war zone. There are about 200 homes damaged. Believe it or not we had power back yesterday morning and we have cable today. Anyway, I’ll try to get some pictures up later on.
Woweee John good thang you got an early start back. Glad you were safe and not to much damage was done about the GT but it sounds like you figured it out and fixed. Look forward to some pics
Old 2/19/08, 05:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Tornados? What are those?
j/k John.. glad you and the fam are okay and your property didn't sustain too much damage (except for your MIA shed).
Good that you fixed your loose clamp issue too. If you had an A/F gauge, it would've went thru the roof!

On the Vortech front... Good news! Money from my lost check refunded, new check cut, will be on the UPS plane tonight out of Los Angeles to Indiana, then into Seth's hand at Brenspeed by tomorrow afternoon!

I finally feel like I'm making some headway now.
Old 2/19/08, 05:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
On the Vortech front... Good news! Money from my lost check refunded, new check cut, will be on the UPS plane tonight out of Los Angeles to Indiana, then into Seth's hand at Brenspeed by tomorrow afternoon!

I finally feel like I'm making some headway now.
Good news Bill, I really can't wait till you get this project going. Did you say you were going to do the install yourself or have it done for you?

Oh the other question I have and I'm too lazy to look back, which FI system delivers power in the low end vs. the upper end?I'd like my system to deliver the power as early in the RPM ranges as possible.

Thanks Bill and sorry if these are dumb a$$ questions
Old 2/19/08, 05:37 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Glad you and the family are alright John! Sucks about the shed though.
Nice to see you got the vortech thing settled bill
Phil, twin screw's such as the kenne bell's deliver low end power, high end power comes from centri's, like the vortech system
Old 2/19/08, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by StangMahn
Phil, twin screw's such as the kenne bell's deliver low end power, high end power comes from centri's, like the vortech system
That is correct as far as I know. However, Tom2 is our resident expert since he has experience with both systems.

With that said, I'm ticked I chose the centri setup. With 4.10 gears and an aluminum DS, I don't need any help on the low end.

Besides, the deciding factor was what works and looks best with the Shaker hood.
Old 2/19/08, 05:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Sorry for posting this again, but it really tells the story between the 2 kinds of blowers: twin screw and centri.

The red curve is the twin screw (Saleen) hp and tq...... the blue is the centri (Vortech) hp and tq. The Saleen is more powerful all throughout the powerband both in hp and tq until 6000rpm, where the Vortech takes over. This is not saying that the Vortech doesn't make serious power because it does, however the graph doesn't lie.

The impressive thing is the torque curve- note how the Vortech torque curve is right at 350 lb/ft at 3500 rpm and dropping below that... but the Saleen is around 420 lb/ft as low as 3000 rpm and really looks to be at that level probably somewhere as low as 2500 rpm.

Old 2/19/08, 05:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Bill it looks like I'm not too far behind you. Hopefully tomorrow is when I order my Vortech system at the shop. Then its about a week to week and a half to get the system at the shop for the install
Old 2/19/08, 06:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by philster2003
Woweee John good thang you got an early start back. Glad you were safe and not to much damage was done about the GT but it sounds like you figured it out and fixed. Look forward to some pics
+ 1. Good to hear you are safe and sound. My sympathies go out to the families that lost everything, there just isn't words to say for something like that.

Bill & Jon more power. The interesting part will be the difference between the two. Wonder how they'll compare. Bill, when do you estimate that the install will be complete ?

Phil +2 on what Bill and David said. The problem then becomes one of using HP to make HP, all blowers do that, and at the higher rpms all blowers are inefficient. It looks like the centris are less so over the twin-screws.
Old 2/19/08, 07:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tom281
The red curve is the twin screw (Saleen) hp and tq...... the blue is the centri (Vortech) hp and tq. The Saleen is more powerful all throughout the powerband both in hp and tq until 6000rpm, where the Vortech takes over. This is not saying that the Vortech doesn't make serious power because it does, however the graph doesn't lie.

The impressive thing is the torque curve- note how the Vortech torque curve is right at 350 lb/ft at 3500 rpm and dropping below that... but the Saleen is around 420 lb/ft as low as 3000 rpm and really looks to be at that level probably somewhere as low as 2500 rpm.
Thanks Tom that explains it quite well. I like the Saleen a lot as mentioned before, thats the one I'd do if I was in the market, I want that low end and smooth continuous power band.
Old 2/19/08, 07:15 PM
Cobra Member

So Bill you forgot to answer my question, you doing the install of the blower or someone else?
Old 2/19/08, 08:14 PM
NTTAWWT

Originally Posted by habu
The problem then becomes one of using HP to make HP, all blowers do that, and at the higher rpms all blowers are inefficient. It looks like the centris are less so over the twin-screws.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that.
Old 2/19/08, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by habu
Bill & Jon more power. The interesting part will be the difference between the two. Wonder how they'll compare. Bill, when do you estimate that the install will be complete ?
Great point Brian. I'm very interested how my Brenspeed tuned/non-cooled Vortech will compare to Jon's dyno-tuned & cooled Vortech HO system.

Jon: Post up your dyno graph, SAE Corrected, Smoothing 3 or 5, and I'll do the same once it's installed.

I'm estimating the install to be done on March 1 & 2, pending all my parts being in.

Originally Posted by philster2003
So Bill you forgot to answer my question, you doing the install of the blower or someone else?
Oops!
My Mechanic friend will perform the install (incl. gauges). I know I can do it, but don't want to tie up 2-3 weekends being frustrated.
Install will be aircraft quality (George knows what I'm talking about), not to mention 'show' quality too. He fully understands how I feel about my baby.
Old 2/19/08, 08:22 PM
NTTAWWT

so other than that and your rear gears, havent you done everything else yourself bill?
Old 2/19/08, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by StangMahn
so other than that and your rear gears, havent you done everything else yourself bill?
Only 2 things I didn't install.. the gears (like you said) and the window tint. Both of which I'm sure I would've butchered had I attempted them.
Old 2/19/08, 08:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just got done tinkering with the LCA's and adj. panhard. Took me about two hours. Not bad considering I did it myself. Yes even torquing the LCA bolts to 129 ft lbs. What a PITA. Haven't had a chance to get on it so I can't really say if moving to the lower holes made a difference. Just cruising around though I didn't feel any difference in the ride.

John -Good to hear you made it through all right.

Bill-Can't wait to go for a ride once the blower's in.
Old 2/20/08, 08:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Great point Brian. I'm very interested how my Brenspeed tuned/non-cooled Vortech will compare to Jon's dyno-tuned & cooled Vortech HO system.

Jon: Post up your dyno graph, SAE Corrected, Smoothing 3 or 5, and I'll do the same once it's installed.

I'm estimating the install to be done on March 1 & 2, pending all my parts being in.
Oh so your just going on Brenspeeds tune? You going conservative or a mild tune from them?(its like I'm talking about hot sauce! )

I'm hoping also for a March 1st, 3rd install date. Bill its like we're twins... from very different backgrounds. This month of waiting to buy has been hard. I keep wondering if what I'm about to buy is perfect for the money I'm spending. I flip flop back and forth often, and do it alot daily. haha. I just have to buy it and I'll be at peace.
Old 2/20/08, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by JonCo
Oh so your just going on Brenspeeds tune? You going conservative or a mild tune from them?(its like I'm talking about hot sauce! ).
Just Brenspeed's tune? That's like saying Pink's is just another hot dog stand.
j/k Jon... Yup, going with their custom tune that was developed on Tom's car when he had the non-cooled Vortech in it. From what I recall, he put out some decent numbers with a safe and stable A/F line.

Originally Posted by JonCo
I keep wondering if what I'm about to buy is perfect for the money I'm spending. I flip flop back and forth often, and do it alot daily. haha. I just have to buy it and I'll be at peace.
I don't blame you. This is a big mod purchase so you want to make sure it's the one that you want.
The biggest question is whether you want to go TS or centri. From there, it's easier to decide which company to go with. But like you said, do the homework, pick one, and stick with it.
Old 2/20/08, 08:34 AM

First piece of the puzzle has arrived... more to come later.

Attachment 39608 Attachment 39609
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-img_4132-1-.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-img_4153-1-.jpg  
Old 2/20/08, 09:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

First piece of the puzzle has arrived... more to come later.

Attachment 39608 Attachment 39609
I always thought the guages were attached to the existing pillar. That's cool though makes the install that much easier. Looks good. Can't wait to see it mounted with gauges.
Old 2/20/08, 09:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I always thought the guages were attached to the existing pillar. That's cool though makes the install that much easier. Looks good. Can't wait to see it mounted with gauges.
That's what makes SOS's so nice. Not only are they unique styling wise, but they also are a FULL REPLACEMENT.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)