General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 2/9/08, 10:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I spoke to Leo last night from the track. The result?.....

I'll let him elaborate.

It just reaffirms my decision to get som big azz meats out back.
Old 2/9/08, 11:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Can MGW and Scott Drake co-exist?

Since MGW has no plans on releasing a power steering, brake reservior and washer fluid caps, think it'll look okay mixed in with my chrome oil, dipstick, and coolant tank caps?

I'm thinking yes since it'll be a 50/50 mix.

Thoughts?

Old 2/9/08, 11:05 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Yeah, that would look pretty good.
They dont shy away from the condiments on the Pinks dogs do they?

Leo, I bet if you got some street slicks, you wouldnt spin at all...
Old 2/9/08, 11:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard that the drake stuff had issues w/the oil dipstick so beware.

I was pulling for the new tires to be better dang. Deep dish and 275s might have to be next
Old 2/9/08, 12:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill

Since MGW has no plans on releasing a power steering, brake reservior and washer fluid caps, think it'll look okay mixed in with my chrome oil, dipstick, and coolant tank caps?

Thoughts?

I have always loved those caps, but prefer more of a chrome appearance underhood..... those look more like a satin finish to me. You'll want something polished, right Bill?
Old 2/9/08, 12:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts?
I came very to getting those myself. One day I will have them under the hood. I think they look great. You can even get them with the Pony in the center now.

Originally Posted by habu
I was pulling for the new tires to be better dang. Deep dish and 275s might have to be next
Why not go 285?
Old 2/9/08, 01:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I've heard that the drake stuff had issues w/the oil dipstick so beware.

I installed the Scott Drake dip stick handle a while back ago. It was well machined and the install was easy. Remove your old "yellow" loop then fasten it with the stock pin if I remember correctly. A small punch tool made the removal and install easy. I think it took me about 10 minutes. My experience with SD products has been pretty good the only issue I had was when I installed a billet dome light piece, they could have used a little more 3M tape. Other that that I am very satisfied with their products.

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCa...cott_drake.htm

Jed

Old 2/9/08, 01:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Parts
I didn't bring my wide-angle lens today, so I couldn't get any really good close ups, sorry

Old 2/9/08, 02:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thoughts?

I say if your going to get these get the whole set and drop all the mgw stuff. A mix of MGW and SD will look wierd IMO.

Brian-All the parts look to be very well made. Let us know what you thought of the dificulty of install.

Went to the track with negative results as Bill reported. Got a little better traction but not enough. My best time was a 9.6. Heck with just a intake and tune I was running 8.8-8.9's. I told Bill I was going to try lowering the LCA's to the bottom hole on the relo's next time and possibly going to another track. Worst case scenario my track days are on hold untill I get some drag radials.

Not sure if 285's would've made the difference since it's less than an inch in difference between 255 and 285
Old 2/9/08, 04:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I say if your going to get these get the whole set and drop all the mgw stuff. A mix of MGW and SD will look wierd IMO.

Brian-All the parts look to be very well made. Let us know what you thought of the dificulty of install.

Went to the track with negative results as Bill reported. Got a little better traction but not enough. My best time was a 9.6. Heck with just a intake and tune I was running 8.8-8.9's. I told Bill I was going to try lowering the LCA's to the bottom hole on the relo's next time and possibly going to another track. Worst case scenario my track days are on hold untill I get some drag radials.

Not sure if 285's would've made the difference since it's less than an inch in difference between 255 and 285
I also meant to ask two things what was your tire psi....shoould be down to about 10-15 and how much of the problems are track related ? I remember a post by don_w shortly after I went talking about how bad Qualcomm was? is it still a problem? was there too much moisture in the air to aid in power making as well as making the track slick ??

IMO with what you've done and you're not seeing improvements... the only other constant is the track. Something doesn't add up
Old 2/9/08, 04:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I also meant to ask two things what was your tire psi....shoould be down to about 10-15 and how much of the problems are track related ? I remember a post by don_w shortly after I went talking about how bad Qualcomm was? is it still a problem? was there too much moisture in the air to aid in power making as well as making the track slick ??

IMO with what you've done and you're not seeing improvements... the only other constant is the track. Something doesn't add up
Nope didn't lower PSI. But then again I never did that before the ds and gears. Yeah it really isn't the greatest track considering it's just a parking lot. That's why I want to go to the Barona track which is actually a real track. Don't know if it will make the difference but it's worth trying. It's only about a 20 minute driving difference bewteen both tracks. It's really fustrating that after all the recent mods I can't hook/go faster than I had before all the mods. Humidity according to the weatherchannel.com was between 65%-75% during the time I was there.
Old 2/9/08, 04:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

.......... the only other constant is the track. Something doesn't add up

And the driver.......

Old 2/9/08, 04:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
And the driver.......

I know you said your joking but really I'm the biggest non factor since the car's an automatic. I launch at idle and I'm still spining the tires through second. I wonder if I would've had this problem had I got 3.73's.
Old 2/9/08, 05:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I think you'd have the same problem no matter what gears you run....... you just need bigger tires or better track prep- or both.
Old 2/9/08, 06:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

You guys know where I can find hood pins like the one below without the lanyard? I'm not too big a fan of the ones SHR/Steeda sells those Sparco ones or w/e. The pin is really bulky. I just need pins bad. Hoods moving way to much to enjoy highway driving.

Anyone know of the Shelby pins have stainless steel screws or "rust proof"? Rust looks tacky IMO =P
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-sp_a0265.jpg  
Old 2/9/08, 07:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Ready for a ride?

I'm experimenting with some camera mounts. One on the windshield and another one mounted between the seats. Tommorrow a test run in the morning, maybe Palos Verdes not sure yet. Next maybe something external

Jed

Old 2/9/08, 08:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
You guys know where I can find hood pins like the one below without the lanyard? I'm not too big a fan of the ones SHR/Steeda sells those Sparco ones or w/e. The pin is really bulky. I just need pins bad. Hoods moving way to much to enjoy highway driving.

Anyone know of the Shelby pins have stainless steel screws or "rust proof"? Rust looks tacky IMO =P

This shot is from Shelby's Terlingua Mustang at SEMA, can't remember if the screws were SS. They make a Shelby and plain version, I think Scott Drake sell it also?

Jed

Old 2/9/08, 08:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by JedCranium
This shot is from Shelby's Terlingua Mustang at SEMA, can't remember if the screws were SS. They make a Shelby and plain version, I think Scott Drake sell it also?

Jed

I dunno what looks better. The one you pictured above which is the shelby ones for ~$100 or the one I first I attached in my last post.

Flat or slightly raised?
Old 2/9/08, 08:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
I dunno what looks better. The one you pictured above which is the shelby ones for ~$100 or the one I first I attached in my last post.

Flat or slightly raised?
^ The Shelby one is raised ^, I find it a little lumpy. I have plans to install this one below..

Aero

Old 2/9/08, 08:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I was looking at StangPeds Event Calender for future shows...

Just getting ready for the 08 shows!

Jed

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)