General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/08, 06:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
Sounds like you've come 'round full circle........
And it wasn't even planned. Was talking to the shop guy originally about my header isntall and then we got on the subject of superchargers and from there he showed me a Procharger'ed car he had on the dyno. I was impressed, first time seeing a S/C'd s197 in person(that wasn't a SE). I was

Then he started asking questions on what I'd use it for. Told him something that looks nice when the hoods up performs 450rwhp easily and is reliable for a DD. From there he pointed me to his Vortech kits and we started talking more. After about an hour he threw out his price on a complete kit, installed and dyno tuned. I smiled, and said it was abit out of my price range. He sighed, walked into his office. 5mins later he came out with another dollar amount... MUCH lower then his first.

The rest is history. I've seen the same kits on websites only a few hundred dollars cheaper. Its hard to walk away from that. Haha

Hey Tom, do you know who/where someone sells replacement silicon connections for the Vortech kits. I prefer the black silicon over the blue which seems to be standard on Vortech. I like how Paxton sends the kits with black silicon.
Old 2/2/08, 06:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Good luck man! As far as the clamps/connections, no..... I really don't know who would other than just calling Paxton and buying them directly from them.
Old 2/2/08, 06:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Good luck man! As far as the clamps/connections, no..... I really don't know who would other than just calling Paxton and buying them directly from them.
Thanks, I'll have to do that. Deff not a priority. I just want to make the supercharger happen first and work that. Whats deff killing me is the recent addition of L/T's which cost me ~$850. Money which coulda/woulda been supercharger money. Oh well. Hopefully it all works out accordingly.
Old 2/2/08, 08:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by USMC0341
Guys, Check this out....
That's cool! Sounds great too!

Originally Posted by JedCranium
Then I noticed a flaw one of the wheels. WAAAAAAAA!
Dude, that's messed up.

That's the thing, there was no QA on those wheels. Upon pick up this time around, better give them a good once over. For plating, it should be nothing less than perfect.

Originally Posted by JedCranium
Hey life is short, remember the fun is in the journey not the destination!
Hey! Did you read that from a fortune cookie?

Originally Posted by JonCo
So Brian how are your plans on getting blown?

Hey Tom, do you know who/where someone sells replacement silicon connections for the Vortech kits. I prefer the black silicon over the blue which seems to be standard on Vortech. I like how Paxton sends the kits with black silicon.
Check out HoseTechniques. Leo, Jed and I got our black silicone hoses from there.
However, if the Paxton kit uses the same size hoses as the Vortech, getting them all from Paxton will be your best (and probably cheapest) bet.
Old 2/2/08, 08:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hehehe, he said "hose techniques"...... hahahahaha
Old 2/2/08, 08:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So Brian how are your plans on getting blown?

I'm hoping to hear from the bank sometime this week to see if they can beat the offers I've recieved on credit cards I got offered. So one way or another I should now this week when I'll get blown I think I've made my mind up on the Vortech HO system. Im getting good bang for buck. Looks nice under the hood and cant beat the price. This will deff put a halt on the rest of the mods for my car for a good while haha.
OK, hold on a sec. I like you guys, but when and how I go about getting blown is anoth------ Wait, the other kind of blown

Next week I'm making the calls trying to get the $,$$$. I should now definitively where I stand by EOW.

Great news Jon. The Vortech is an awesome system and if you're getting a killer deal on an out-the-door price, I certainly don't blame you. Congrats !!

Jed, sorry to hear about the QA. In the first pic it looks like they didn't clean the surface of the wheel correctly for the plating to adhere to, the excess.... that just doesn't make sense, there is no excess plating, it's not like you spray it on the wheel. I'm at a loss trying to figure out how that happened.

Mod Update -- BMR loop on order. LCAs/Relos to be delivered 2/6 !!! WAY before I expected. Will call Shaftmasters Monday Morning.

OK, that's funny.
Old 2/2/08, 08:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by habu
mod Update -- BMR loop on order. LCAs/Relos to be delivered 2/6 !!! WAY before I expected. Will call Shaftmasters Monday Morning.

Sorry, did I miss something- you're getting a 'shaft? If so, congrats!

Is this the loop you ordered: http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/images/dsl010.gif
Old 2/2/08, 09:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Sorry, did I miss something- you're getting a 'shaft? If so, congrats!

Is this the loop you ordered: http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/images/dsl010.gif
Yep the 3.5" shaft.
That's the loop I ordered, but went with PMP. They're all about 100 bucks so since I ordered the other stuff there I thought I'd get this from the same place too.
Old 2/2/08, 09:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Check out HoseTechniques. Leo, Jed and I got our black silicone hoses from there.
However, if the Paxton kit uses the same size hoses as the Vortech, getting them all from Paxton will be your best (and probably cheapest) bet.
Yeah, I may call Paxton on Monday to see whats up. Be nice if the silicon hoses could be installed with the blower. Thanks for the link!

Wonder what type of techniques those are?

OK, hold on a sec. I like you guys, but when and how I go about getting blown is anoth------ Wait, the other kind of blown

Next week I'm making the calls trying to get the $,$$$. I should now definitively where I stand by EOW.

Great news Jon. The Vortech is an awesome system and if you're getting a killer deal on an out-the-door price, I certainly don't blame you. Congrats !!

Mod Update -- BMR loop on order. LCAs/Relos to be delivered 2/6 !!! WAY before I expected. Will call Shaftmasters Monday Morning.

OK, that's funny.
Yeah, I just like how Vortech LOOKS over the ProCharger system(no offense to any procharged guys). Procharger looks busy, IMO.

Yep the 3.5" shaft.
That's the loop I ordered, but went with PMP. They're all about 100 bucks so since I ordered the other stuff there I thought I'd get this from the same place too.
You've become mod mad! I'm afraid to ask what you have instore next? Lol
Old 2/2/08, 09:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yep the 3.5" shaft.

PMP is great, no doubt. Nice choice of... um..... shafts.
Old 2/2/08, 09:54 PM

Hey John, Vortech is a clean looking system, just look at Tom's avatar!

The more I look at it, it looks great with the Shaker. I'm with you on the black hoses though, I'd swap them in for the blue ones.

Tom- Looks like Brenspeed is running a good price on the non-I/C Vortech at $4240. link
Do you think additional discounts will be applied if you already have the delete plates and XCal2?
Also, I know we talked briefly about the I/C vs non-I/C, but I'm wondering if I really need the I/C version. As the ambient temp rises, is it really that bad on the non-I/C in terms of performance?
Old 2/2/08, 10:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

You've become mod mad! I'm afraid to ask what you have instore next? Lol

Bill, I wouldn't even mess around with the Non I/C version. Heat is death to FI motors and as hot as it gets here July-> Sept I think the Non I/C would seriously suffer. I also understand that the heat will play with the AF or affect it adversly, I'd have to find the MM&FF MILF tech articles, it was explained there. If you go non I/C you're left with another 'thing' that you'll eventually want to do. Get the higher HP version and be done with it. ...... Then again if the car isn't yours in a couple of years, maybe a lower HP version would be better

I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.
Old 2/2/08, 10:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

The more I look at it, it looks great with the Shaker. I'm with you on the black hoses though, I'd swap them in for the blue ones.

Tom- Looks like Brenspeed is running a good price on the non-I/C Vortech at $4240. link
Do you think additional discounts will be applied if you already have the delete plates and XCal2?
Also, I know we talked briefly about the I/C vs non-I/C, but I'm wondering if I really need the I/C version. As the ambient temp rises, is it really that bad on the non-I/C in terms of performance?
Yeah at first I didn't like how the centri's were set up. That looked outta place. But the more I look and read about the Vortech and pictures of it the more I like it. I like how I can buy a chrome strut bar for a future mod to add more bling underneath etc...

Not to speak for Tom but I think they would discount the price for the mods you wouldn't need.

From what I've read, go with the I/C. But I know money plays an important role and if your going to keep the car for a long time.

So you thinking about doing Vortech or still playing around with different set-ups?

Bill, I wouldn't even mess around with the Non I/C version. Heat is death to FI motors and as hot as it gets here July-> Sept I think the Non I/C would seriously suffer. I also understand that the heat will play with the AF or affect it adversly, I'd have to find the MM&FF MILF tech articles, it was explained there. If you go non I/C you're left with another 'thing' that you'll eventually want to do. Get the higher HP version and be done with it. ...... Then again if the car isn't yours in a couple of years, maybe a lower HP version would be better

I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.
I know if your second thinking an I/C or not, your best bet is to bit the bullit now and go for it and then be done with it. It would suck to avoid the initial cost and then a few months later to want it and pay a hefty premium for it. JMO

TOM - Do you know if you can upgrade the blow-off valve to produce a louder sound? I dunno if thats considered an upgrade or a downgrade to be honest. Lol

Question, when did the supercharging topic get introduced in this thread? Lol, it just seems like everyone is wanting a little something something around town now. haha
Old 2/2/08, 10:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You'll get a credit of $250 to $300 for your tuner and plates.....I'd bet you'd be under $4k. This is for the polished version too.

I'd be more concerned about the intercooler if you drove your car more often..... from the pix I always see, you only drive it long enough to make some videos and then you park it again LOL. The tune file for this kit was made off of several days' worth of tuning on my car...... the higher intake temps were taken into consideration with regards to timing and fuel delivery, although the cooler the charge, the better- no denying that.
Old 2/2/08, 10:41 PM

Brian, I hear ya.. but, from what I've read in Tom's past posts in real world situations, it sounds like the non-I/C Vortech (along with a safe tune) is stable.

I quote Tom..
"Yes that is the intercooler you would have to buy to upgrade and yes it will cost you around $1800 to do it later.
For what it's worth, I ran the base kit sans cooler for 6 months with no problem, 3 months of that time being in Indiana +90 degree heat and humidity."

"Non-intercooled Vortech here, no problems at 439 at the wheels."

So to analyze this further, is 30hp more from an I/C unit worth $1800? I think I know the answer to that one.
Old 2/2/08, 10:42 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I do think the Vortech looks the best, but Im just astonished about the Procharger power capabilities.
Taco - a Vortech would look good with your shaker setup.
Old 2/2/08, 11:45 PM
Cobra Member

Okay.... all this blower talk has gotten me to search around and I've narrowed it down: Saleen's shaker/charger (asssuming fit and finish is pristine), Vortech's HO, and Paxton's Novi 2200. Only three that I think would support the shaker mod (another mod pending).

I need something that can be daily driven (even though I'm in the process of getting a dd). I really only paln on pushing it at the track (not sure which would benefit best). I'm looking to start at around 420hp then move up in stages until I'm at a happy number (500hp max).

As far as knowing where I want the power band.. I want to feel the difference between a centri and t/s (Jed ) to see which one my butt-o-meter likes more.

As it stands, I like the Paxton because of it's looks, blow off valves, and air to air intercooler. Not sure which is best: the new sl or the traditional design?

Not sure if the vortech would fit my needs looks nice, but I'm not sure how effective the water to air cooler would be for a dd.

The saleen would be ideal assuming they make an oe-like fit and finish. Waiting on the debut (not in a rush )

Guys, I need help in getting started in the right direction... Remember, I have to keep up with people like Jed ( yah right, like that would ever happen)

Thanks in advance, you guys offer so much info and....

you guys are such a bad influence didn't plan on looking into a blower this soon.
Old 2/2/08, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by superfly s197
... you guys are such a bad influence
Luis, you have no idea yet what bad influences we can be. (example)

On the SC's, you mentioned starting at 420hp.. guessing you meant 420rwhp, right? If so, I don't think you want to touch 500rwhp with your stock internals... otherwise Kaboom!

I'm still confused at the exact SC fits my bill, but it's leaning towards a centri set-up.

btw, I think I started all this SC talk.
Old 2/3/08, 01:01 AM
Cobra Member

you're right bill. I meant 420 rwhp. Yah... 500 rwhp = kaboom. I put that up as a max number. Realistically, I just want to push stock internals I'm guessing its around the 470-480 rwhp mark? Doesn't sound bad to me I don't see myself ever wanting to push it over 500rwhp.

As for the "example:" hahaha. Now I know what all this b.e talk is about. I finally pieced it together.
Old 2/3/08, 01:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I really like how the vortech and paxton look under the hood, but the thing I like about the procharger is that its self-contained supercharger oiling. The vortech/paxton units require you punch a hole in the oil pan as it uses engine oil for lubrication. I want something that can be easily returned to stock if I have to.

In my situation I wonder if I would need a custom tune due to having different cams, higher compression, ect? That will drive the price up.

I want to keep the shaker but I dont know if I could wait for the shaker/supercharger and I know that it's going to be almost twice the price as a centri. The few positive things are that I'll be out of warranty in may(saleen only came with 12mo/12000 mi) so I could do what ever I want, second, all three of these kits are smog legal and have CARB EO numbers.and last I already have built internals so I think I'll be safe there. Thoughts, comments?

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)