General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/08, 11:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by habu
I'm trying to secure the funding for the blower and the rest of the stuff I'll need to get it and have someone tune it and put gauges in.
Nice Brian! I hope it all goes as planned for you.

I know you've been doing your homework, so the big questions..

Which SC are you going with?

Who will do the install?

If the Whipple, have you considered running the FRPP tune (can save you a considerable amount of $$$)?

What gauges are you planning on running?
Old 1/29/08, 11:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evolution Performance

I found a place that sells Ford Racing Oil filters A La Carte. Click on the filter to take to there

I bought two and they arrived today Looks like an oil change this weekend I'm going to use Mobil 1 synthetic. Hey Bill what weight did you use?

Jed
Old 1/29/08, 11:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Nice Brian! I hope it all goes as planned for you.

I know you've been doing your homework, so the big questions..

Which SC are you going with?

Who will do the install?

If the Whipple, have you considered running the FRPP tune (can save you a considerable amount of $$$)?

What gauges are you planning on running?
Whipple for sure. My choices have always been either KB or Whipple with me leaning towards the Whipple. The Saleen and Roush where never an option. I do not like how they are installed or look(Saleen), the backwards alternator looks so hacked it isn't funny. I've read that the KB produces more heat than the Whipple and that people are/were having issues with the BAP system and going to the GT500 fuel pumps, which the Whipple kit has. This is likely the tipping point for the Whipple.

Install = Me

I'll run the stock tune and not press it, ala Tom, and shortly afterwards take it to GTR, RET, ST... somebody and have it Dyno tuned as well as gauges installed so that I can keep track of the system. The gauges are the main reason but afterwards I know I'll want to get it dyno'd. If I can get 425-430 at the wheels I'll be very happy. Even with the stock tune this should be a goal I can surpass, with a dyno tune ????

Of course included in this is it will make my car a Garage Queen I'll get some beat-up POS to flogg to work and running around on the weekends. Primary reasoning... longevity. If I'm not beating the car every day, with a blower how could I not, it'll be a little less likely to ventilate the block.

whew.... sorry for the War & Peace.
Old 1/29/08, 11:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JedCranium
I found a place that sells Ford Racing Oil filters A La Carte. Click on the filter to take to there

I bought two and they arrived today Looks like an oil change this weekend I'm going to use Mobil 1 synthetic. Hey Bill what weight did you use?

Jed
ohhh... link please !!!!!!

Don't know about Bill but I've always used 5-20

Jeez I used to use 20-50 in my 429, the times have changed.
Old 1/29/08, 11:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Hope everything comes together for ya Brian. Love to see another blown car in POTR!
Old 1/29/08, 11:59 PM

Hey Bill what weight did you use?
Here's the FRPP filter I used. Cross reference this part number with yours, curious if they're the same.

Mobil 1 Synthetic, 5W20, 6 quarts
Old 1/30/08, 12:12 AM

Whipple for sure.

Install = Me
I like the Whipple HO too, but does that system use that tank where you have to put ice or seperate coolant in it?
If ice, that my sway me away from it.

My other cosideration (for ease of the shaker scoop adaptability) would be the Saleen system. This system put out about the same power while utilizing the shaker throttle body mounting points.

When it's my turn, I'm considering getting it installed.. if the price is right.
If I get it installed, any install and tune issues are their problem.

I know I can do it, but I hate running into problems of this complexity. My switch panel was enough stress!!
Old 1/30/08, 01:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Oh come on Bill, THE How-To guy can't let someone else install parts on his car.
Old 1/30/08, 02:41 AM
Cobra Member

Interesting point bill....I'm saving up now for the shaker hood and already looking into the future (way deep into the future) for a blower.

What have you found so far to look/work best with a shaker?

by the way....thanks to you... I have the mod bug
Old 1/30/08, 05:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
I like the Whipple HO too, but does that system use that tank where you have to put ice or seperate coolant in it?
If ice, that my sway me away from it.

My other cosideration (for ease of the shaker scoop adaptability) would be the Saleen system. This system put out about the same power while utilizing the shaker throttle body mounting points.

Bill, just FYI using the CDC shaker with the Saleen blower is basically impossible unless you lower the motor about 2" or fabricate a completely new shroud for the scoop to sit on. The mounting point at the throttle body is the same, but the Saleen sits much higher compared to the factory intake- and there is not enough room between it and the hood.
Old 1/30/08, 07:03 AM
Cobra Member

I bought two and they arrived today
Jed, thank you so much for this find.................I've been looking for ages for a place that would sell these racing filters individually. You da man Jed!

I was just about to change my oil but will wait until these filters arrive.
Old 1/30/08, 07:25 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

In preparation...

I like how you guys are getting mentally ready for your blower. I did the same thing; thinking about it thinking about it. Then the next step before buying it I purchased little things like the gauges, the pod an aluminum radiator. Your well on your way to blowerisum after that!

I can safely say that once you get it your going to wonder why you took so long to do it.

Jed

Old 1/30/08, 07:28 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by philster2003
Jed, thank you so much for this find.................I've been looking for ages for a place that would sell these racing filters individually. You da man Jed!

I was just about to change my oil but will wait until these filters arrive.
Cool Phil glad to of helped I almost bought a case. We were going to divide the case between the boys but I think A La Carte is the way to go More mod money for someting else

Jed
Old 1/30/08, 07:31 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

ohhh... link please !!!!!!

Don't know about Bill but I've always used 5-20

Jeez I used to use 20-50 in my 429, the times have changed.
Brian "click" on the Oil Filter it should take you there if not:

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/

Jed
Old 1/30/08, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by kh765
Oh come on Bill, THE How-To guy can't let someone else install parts on his car.

2 things I didn't personally install on my car... the gears and window tint, and maybe the blower!

Originally Posted by superfly s197
What have you found so far to look/work best with a shaker?

by the way....thanks to you... I have the mod bug
Still looking for a twin screw that plays nicely with the Shaker.

I know the centri's a perfect match, but I'm looking to mount that massive chunk of aluminum on top of my manifold.

Sorry you caught the bug Luis. This rare bug is known to drain your savings and plummet you into debt.

Originally Posted by tom281
Bill, just FYI using the CDC shaker with the Saleen blower is basically impossible unless you lower the motor about 2" or fabricate a completely new shroud for the scoop to sit on. The mounting point at the throttle body is the same, but the Saleen sits much higher compared to the factory intake- and there is not enough room between it and the hood.

I was hoping the JDM Prothanes (-0.5") would do the trick with the Saleen blower.. Ughh!

What to do..
Old 1/30/08, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by tom281
... the Saleen sits much higher compared to the factory intake- and there is not enough room between it and the hood.
Curious Tom.. do you know if the KB and Whipple sit at about the same height as the Saleen in relation to hood clearance?
Old 1/30/08, 08:22 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kh765
I agree Kyle, how cant the How To Guy NOT do the install himself.....................
Old 1/30/08, 08:22 AM
Cobra Member

Of course included in this is it will make my car a Garage Queen I'll get some beat-up POS to flogg to work and running around on the weekends. Primary reasoning... longevity. If I'm not beating the car every day, with a blower how could I not, it'll be a little less likely to ventilate the block.

whew.... sorry for the War & Peace.
So what kind of slummer car do you have in mind Brian?
Old 1/30/08, 08:23 AM
Cobra Member

Did I just sneak into post 15000?

Yes I did
Old 1/30/08, 08:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by philster2003
Did I just sneak into post 15000?

Yes I did
You SOB! I was just about to do that.

Brian-Hope your S/C dreams pan out sooner rather than later.

Jed-Awesome find on the filters.

As for me I think a S/C will probably never happen. By the time I get the money the car will have to many miles IMO. As it stands now I think it has to many. Maybe my next stang.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)