General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/08, 08:04 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey 89Trooper, I guess you've been reading the other big thread in Tech already regarding blowers and turbos, since JR said that you asked him to check it out and respond to some of my posts.
I've never been in that thread, but it was funny going through it now reading about everybody talking about me. Tom is wishy washy. Tom likes to tinker. Tom skipped a step. (By the way, I skipped the step because he didn't supply the hose or fitting so I called him and he said they stopped supplying those items because that step wasn't necessary and there should be a plug in the kit to replace the fitting). There was not a plug, either. It's funny how he turns it around now to make it sound like I wanted to skip that step and he went along with me. Yeah, I know nothing about turbos (at the time) and wanted to skip a step to hook the WG up to boost.

Would you mind telling me what I said in this thread that made you feel obligated to have JR post and say the things he said, as well as send me this PM:
Your the man - just ask you
Please cut me some slack and stop hyper focussing on me. I am really trying to help and Tom has made it clear he is happy. You really are taking his works and painting them as if they were in the worst light
He mentioned that thread on the phone once, and I said I saw it in the GT Performance section, but I have no interest in superchargers really, so I never even looked at it.

I'm having a hard time figuring out why you asked him to get involved and what I said to upset you regarding your turbo kit.
I'm having a hard time figuring out why he said those things.

Believe me, if I had been in that thread at all, I would have at least tried to defend myself.

Old 1/3/08, 08:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Yeah, I know nothing about turbos (at the time) and wanted to skip a step to hook the WG up to boost. [/COLOR]
Sounds like something you would do Tom...

Old 1/3/08, 08:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Rear Spacer Install Success!!!!

Turns out I didn't need to cut/trim the studs at all. I tested the clearance with some putty and there wasn't even a hint of it on the back of the wheel. Also no signs of the putty being pressed against the rear.

I only installed the rear spacers tonight. So far I'm very happy with the difference. After I got them on I took them for a test drive. I did about five or six 0-60 launches. After that I took it on a drive on the freeway. Went up to 80 and sustained it for about 4-5 minutes. No vibration or any wierd sounds. The only test left is the "test of time".

It was dark by the time I finished but here's some crappy pics I took. I'll take better one's tomorrow morning once I'm done with the fronts.

Gallery
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...eel%20Spacers/

One very big possible negative. After returning from all the above test I removed the wheels and found that the spacers nut's had lost about 1-2lbs of torque. Is that normal? Should I pour on some more loctite? Did I not let it dry enough? What color is the strongest? I used the one that comes in the red bottle labled "medium strength". I also notice the nuts screw on either way does it really matter which way? The actual lug nuts were still torqued to spec.
Old 1/3/08, 08:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
It was dark by the time I finished but here's some crappy pics I took. I'll take better one's tomorrow morning once I'm done with the fronts.
Tough to tell by the pics, but I think I like them. I've always thought my wheels need to be pushed out a little. I think some new tires would really round out the look.

EDIT: I think a pic looking from the front wheel back would be awesome.
Old 1/3/08, 08:52 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I would think just retighten the bolts, and they should be good. You always have to allow time for things like that to settle in a little. The Spacers look very good!
Old 1/3/08, 09:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by kh765
Tough to tell by the pics, but I think I like them. I've always thought my wheels need to be pushed out a little. I think some new tires would really round out the look.

EDIT: I think a pic looking from the front wheel back would be awesome.
I'll keep that in mind tomorrow morning when I'm snapping pics. Yeah the crappy pics don't do it justice. Take my word for it they make a huge difference.

Originally Posted by StangMahn
I would think just retighten the bolts, and they should be good. You always have to allow time for things like that to settle in a little. The Spacers look very good!
Yup, just got off the phone with Bill and that's what he said too.

I retorqued them. Now just so I don't scare anyone away the torque wrench only moved about an inch if that before clicking so it's not like they were half off the stud or anything.
Old 1/3/08, 10:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Leo the wheels look great can't wait to see them in person. When are you up again?

Jed
Old 1/3/08, 10:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Tour d' Orange

On this link I saw more pictures of this event someone shot us

http://www.bench-racing.com/html/event_calendar.html

The event calender shows more things happening in SoCal.

FYI My BMR driveshaft safety loop is in, man that sucka is heavy! I would install it this weekend but I heard the rain were going to getting is biblical

Jed
Old 1/3/08, 11:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Yup, just got off the phone with Bill and that's what he said too.
The Loctite needs some time to set-up. They'll be fine tomorrow.

FYI, Red (for permanent applications) is the next one up, but don't recommend using that for lugnuts.

Originally Posted by JedCranium
Leo the wheels look great can't wait to see them in person. When are you up again?
+1, spacers look great!

FYI My BMR driveshaft safety loop is in, man that sucka is heavy! I would install it this weekend but I heard the rain were going to getting is biblical
I'm heading out of town tomorrow, so if you want that spacer for the DS loop done, contact Kevin (I'll PM you his e/m addy).

I have a Ford Fusion reserved, I'll put it through it's paces. Maybe even attempt a front-wheel burnout!
Old 1/3/08, 11:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Jed
Not sure when I'll be bringing the car again but I'll be up next week and the week after that. Hmmm.... maybe I'll order some motor mounts and that will give me an excuse to bring the car up again.

On this link I saw more pictures of this event someone shot us

http://www.bench-racing.com/html/event_calendar.html

The event calender shows more things happening in SoCal.

Jed
You daredevil you driving around with no safety loop.

Originally Posted by TacoBill
The Loctite needs some time to set-up. They'll be fine tomorrow.

FYI, Red (for permanent applications) is the next one up, but don't recommend using that for lugnuts.

+1, spacers look great!

I'm heading out of town tomorrow, so if you want that spacer for the DS loop done, contact Kevin (I'll PM you his e/m addy).

I have a Ford Fusion reserved, I'll put it through it's paces. Maybe even attempt a front-wheel burnout!
Have your sister shoot some vids.
Old 1/4/08, 12:44 AM
Cobra R Member

Prediction- Turbo Install III will be opening within the next 24 hours.
Old 1/4/08, 04:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Hmmm.... maybe I'll order some motor mounts and that will give me an excuse to bring the car up again.

Have your sister shoot some vids.
Do it Leo!

Here's where I got mine.. ebay

Great idea on the vid!
I'm curious to see how much power those Fusions have.
Old 1/4/08, 05:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Hey 89Trooper, I guess you've been reading the other big thread in Tech already regarding blowers and turbos, since JR said that you asked him to check it out and respond to some of my posts.
I've never been in that thread, but it was funny going through it now reading about everybody talking about me. Tom is wishy washy. Tom likes to tinker. Tom skipped a step. (By the way, I skipped the step because he didn't supply the hose or fitting so I called him and he said they stopped supplying those items because that step wasn't necessary and there should be a plug in the kit to replace the fitting). There was not a plug, either. It's funny how he turns it around now to make it sound like I wanted to skip that step and he went along with me. Yeah, I know nothing about turbos (at the time) and wanted to skip a step to hook the WG up to boost.

Would you mind telling me what I said in this thread that made you feel obligated to have JR post and say the things he said, as well as send me this PM:
Your the man - just ask you
Please cut me some slack and stop hyper focussing on me. I am really trying to help and Tom has made it clear he is happy. You really are taking his works and painting them as if they were in the worst light
He mentioned that thread on the phone once, and I said I saw it in the GT Performance section, but I have no interest in superchargers really, so I never even looked at it.

I'm having a hard time figuring out why you asked him to get involved and what I said to upset you regarding your turbo kit.
I'm having a hard time figuring out why he said those things.

Believe me, if I had been in that thread at all, I would have at least tried to defend myself.

Thanks for clarifying, I don't like it when I feel like people are upset with me, and I don't know why LOL. Thanks again- good luck on the dyno jet!

Turns out I didn't need to cut/trim the studs at all. I tested the clearance with some putty and there wasn't even a hint of it on the back of the wheel. Also no signs of the putty being pressed against the rear.
Good deal Leo! You probably aready know from reading the other posts, but yes I would just retighten and check them periodically.
Old 1/4/08, 10:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Do it Leo!

Here's where I got mine.. ebay

Great idea on the vid!
I'm curious to see how much power those Fusions have.
I contacted that guy asking if he could gurantee me a set of black mounts. He told me the majority of the one's he get's are red annd that he couldn't gurantee me some black ones. I told him I was willing to wait and haven't got an answer back from him since.

Just woke up about 10 minutes ago. Once my laziness goes away I'll go to the garage and finish installing the spacers.

Tom-Sorry about your thread yet again.

EDIT: Just ordered a set of prothane motor mounts from laurelmountainmustang.com. I got them for $115.95 shipped.
Old 1/4/08, 11:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Leo, good time to do some headers (even shorties) when you do your mounts.
Old 1/4/08, 12:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Hey Leo, good time to do some headers (even shorties) when you do your mounts.
JBA is the only one with CARB certified shorties. Problem is they want about $600 for them. No way I'm paying that much for a couple HP and looks. I really wish I could get longtubes. I guess that's the price we pay here in Cali.
Old 1/4/08, 02:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

JBA is the only one with CARB certified shorties. Problem is they want about $600 for them. No way I'm paying that much for a couple HP and looks. I really wish I could get longtubes. I guess that's the price we pay here in Cali.

Are the Ford Racing shorties not CARB approved? I don't know, just asking..... also can't you get certified or something and then be good for a couple of years? I'm sure you've already checked it out and know the answers.... I'm just saying it would be nice to throw some kind of headers on there.
Old 1/4/08, 03:06 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
the motor mounts will looks good leo!
Old 1/4/08, 03:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Are the Ford Racing shorties not CARB approved? I don't know, just asking..... also can't you get certified or something and then be good for a couple of years? I'm sure you've already checked it out and know the answers.... I'm just saying it would be nice to throw some kind of headers on there.
Nope only JBA has bothered getting a CARB cert. Believe me I think all us Socal guys would've got headers if possible.

The smog checks are ever other year here in Cali. No way any us is willing to spend 8-10 hours every other year for testing.

Originally Posted by StangMahn
the motor mounts will looks good leo!
And feel good to.

Spacer Update:

Started on the fronts this morning....Turns out the front wheel studs do make contact with the back of the rim. I've already sawed the passenger wheel down enough to fit the rim. Had to stop there and but the wheel back on because I have a Dentist appt. So looks like the front spacers may have to wait till tomorrow and unless I find time later today.

Amazingly it wasn't as big of a PITA as I thought it would be to cut through the studs. Using a "Lenox 18TBI blade" (Thanks to Bill's bro-in-law Kevin for the tip) It took me 10-15 min to cut through all 5 studs on the passenger side wheel.

Gotta go.....
Old 1/4/08, 06:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Here's some pics in daylight of the rear spacers. Looks like the rears are on hold till tomorrow.
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...eel%20Spacers/ (New pics start on the bottom of page 1 and continue on to pg 2.)

Quick question for everyone.
Agent 47 mirrors on a black car painted or unpainted? (Dam you George!)

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)