General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 12/15/07, 06:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Well as you all know now I went to the track last night. I fish tailed on every single run regardless of how soft or hard I tried to launch. My best run of the night was a 9.9. Needless to say I left after about 6-8 passes.

Other than the driveshaft I won't be buying any other mods untill I get tires. After last night tires became priority one.
Sorry to hear that Leo, is that what the call was about ?? Sorry I couldn't take then and there.

So all things equal no traction is a good thing, you're making too much power for your current setup. I think suspension wise you can now only change tires... I knew that even with my car which has less power than yours at the moment drags on the stock tires is futile... at least with the track prep at qualcomm (that's where you were at right ?) I've wanted to test Irwindale just to see if the track prep was better and how much of a difference it'd make, Barona for you would be a good bet. A set of DRs would be very good for you because you'd be able to drive to the track with them on. Or upgrade your tires and then get a set of slicks or cheater slicks just for the track I think it'd be a very different story if you had them
Old 12/15/07, 06:10 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only problem with slicks is that your tires are now your weak point. Make it hook up really good, and you'll find your next weakest link... eventually.

Just something to think about, especially on a DD.
Old 12/15/07, 08:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by habu
Because I've seriously comtemplate doing something along these lines with DRs and 17s...
Certainly worth consideration. Save some weight and you don't ruin your street tires at the strip.
Old 12/15/07, 08:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
The only problem with slicks is that your tires are now your weak point. Make it hook up really good, and you'll find your next weakest link... eventually.

Exactly. If you are willing to take the risk, DRs are awesome. There's a lot of track junkies over at the Collective that can attest to the high cost of pushing your car to the limit.
Old 12/15/07, 09:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

u-joints, transmissions, clutch, pressure plate... something somewhere will eventually break, absolutely. But if a bigger tire(KDWS, 555s) only moderately helps DRs are next, slicks after that. Depending on how serious Leo is about racing. Me, I loved it. Problem for me is mine is a DD and I am not prepared to take that step that I know that racing would take me. The Mustang could not propel me fast enough. If/When I am FId, immediately following I will be buying a 'beater' so my car isn't a DD. Mainly for the miles but also the day-to-day worries about something happening. Then maybe DRs on 17".... but until that day arrives I dream(like about alot of things)
Old 12/15/07, 09:52 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Tires are often the weak point, because you can have as much hp as you want, but if you cant put it down, it might as well not even be there. What was the temp at the track, that makes a big difference. Last time I went to the strip, it was about 65 out, and bc the track was "cold" noone hooked up.
Old 12/15/07, 10:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by StangMahn
Tires are often the weak point, because you can have as much hp as you want, but if you cant put it down, it might as well not even be there. What was the temp at the track, that makes a big difference. Last time I went to the strip, it was about 65 out, and bc the track was "cold" noone hooked up.
You know I would not be surprised that weather played a big part in Leo's problems. Up in LA it's been very cold and at night damp, but not rainy... Bet track prep and weather played a HUGE factor. In Aug it was bad but bearable at first and later is was terrible.

Just a guess though. Bigger, stickier tires will help immediately.
Old 12/15/07, 11:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Leo made a last minute decision and stopped by today. I'll let him chime in when he gets a chance on what happened.

In the meantime, here's a pic from tonight, Kai with Leo's GT...

Old 12/16/07, 05:10 AM
GTR Member

I just found a great thing that some of you may not know about. Under Quick Links, then Edit Options, you can check the box for "show signature only once". Then peoples' signatures will only show up one time per page.
Old 12/16/07, 05:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Get an extra pair of stock 17" bullitts and put some 275/40/17 ET Streets on them. I've seen Brent at Brenspeed pull some incredible times on these tires:

http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_200...2etstreets.gif
Old 12/16/07, 08:28 AM

I just found a great thing that some of you may not know about. Under Quick Links, then Edit Options, you can check the box for "show signature only once". Then peoples' signatures will only show up one time per page.
That's pretty cool. Lots of options to change in there.

I see that Tom2 excercises the stealth mode option.
Old 12/16/07, 08:31 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
I do, too... sometimes.
Old 12/16/07, 08:54 AM

I do, too... sometimes.
Why?

Ashamed that someone will see you logged on in the wee hours of the morning, thus exposing your addiction to TMS?
Old 12/16/07, 10:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Get an extra pair of stock 17" bullitts and put some 275/40/17 ET Streets on them. I've seen Brent at Brenspeed pull some incredible times on these tires:
I like how it says "ET Streets are not to be used in the rain."
Old 12/16/07, 10:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Like Brian though I don't know If I'm willing to take the risk of going with slicks. It's my DD and I just want to go to the track and have fun. So I'll probably buy nittos or KDW's. If I still can't get any traction then I'll "retire" the car from track duty.

D/S Install went down at Bill's yesterday.

Two-hiccups during install

1) We didn't have a 8mm bit socket. Needed in order to install the adpater plate.

2) My ebrake wasn't engaging. Problem stemmed from incorrect install during the LCA switch.

So with those two problems It took us about 4-5 hours.

Good news.
The car feels even better now. I'm sure that won't help my traction problem though. No vibrations up to 120mph.
Old 12/16/07, 10:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Yep!

Why?
'Cause I can.

Originally Posted by kh765
I like how it says "ET Streets are not to be used in the rain."

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Like Brian though I don't know If I'm willing to take the risk of going with slicks. It's my DD and I just want to go to the track and have fun. So I'll probably buy nittos or KDW's. If I still can't get any traction then I'll "retire" the car from track duty.

Good news.
The car feels even better now. I'm sure that won't help my traction problem though. No vibrations up to 120mph.
'grats Leo..... glad you "got the shaft" ........ regarding the slicks, I don't think you'd break anything frankly IMO. The 8.8 is pretty strong, you have 31 spline axles, etc. As long as you didn't rev to 4000rpm in neutral and then slam it into drive LOL, you'd be OK.
Old 12/16/07, 01:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

D/S Install went down at Bill's yesterday.

Two-hiccups during install

1) We didn't have a 8mm bit socket. Needed in order to install the adpater plate.

2) My ebrake wasn't engaging. Problem stemmed from incorrect install during the LCA switch.

So with those two problems It took us about 4-5 hours.

Good news.
aw heck, If I knew you guys were doin this today I would have come down and kibitzed at least. I had a set of small mm sockets in the car too..

Good to hear about the outcome though. Shaftmasters will probably get my business when I do mine.
Old 12/16/07, 05:02 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
aw heck, If I knew you guys were doin this today I would have come down and kibitzed at least. I had a set of small mm sockets in the car too..
I thought it was an 8mm socket bit. I thought that implied a hex bit.
I guess I'll see it in Taco Bill's Hot Links write-up.
Old 12/16/07, 05:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by karman
I thought it was an 8mm socket bit. I thought that implied a hex bit.
I guess I'll see it in Taco Bill's Hot Links write-up.
I re-read that and you are probably right.
Old 12/16/07, 06:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
+1

Glad that the new ds feels better

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)