Ponies on The Run (Again)

Old 12/14/07, 08:11 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Oh man, that elf thing made my day...
Old 12/14/07, 08:57 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
So, I've been on TMS for a while now, and I've seen some really great cars, how-to's (thanks Taco), and I've finally reached that milestone,

My 1000th Post
Old 12/14/07, 10:12 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by habu
HUGE difference. The stock tires are extremely hard and way too easy to spin. A bigger stickier tire.... whole 'nother ball game
Uh oh... you won't get any Taco points agreeing with me on this one!

Seriously, Bill... the burn-outs really don't even sound the same with the better tires. That's why I keep telling you... if you want to keep making videos, buy new stock replacements. Then, when you give the car to Chris, give him good tires that he can't fool around on as much.
Old 12/14/07, 10:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trooper89
Yeah, I know. That burnout is pretty impressive. Being FI you should be able to really shread 'em. I would think once you get to 295+ or DRs it'd be much harder. Then again if it isn't spooling right maybe not at the moment. (I know bupkiss about turbos apart from basic mechanicals).
I'm really hard on my stock tires 'cause I know once I upgrade these days are over.

Originally Posted by StangMahn
So, I've been on TMS for a while now, and I've seen some really great cars, how-to's (thanks Taco), and I've finally reached that milestone,

My 1000th Post

Congrats

Old 12/14/07, 10:41 PM
GTR Member

Then again if it isn't spooling right maybe not at the moment. (I know bupkiss about turbos apart from basic mechanicals).
It's basically a N/A car until 4500 RPM because of the temporary turbo lag.

I found the conversion from a SuperFlow dyno to a Dyno Jet. My 392.4 rwhp / 355.4 rwtq equates to 447.34 rwhp / 405.16 rwtq on a Dyno Jet. That's with massive turbo lag! From what I understand, fixing the turbo lag will up the torque at lower RPMs, but not so much the hp.

Read my last post in the turbo thread. I really think I have the spooling thing figured out. Monday night I'll have the boost controller.

Read the guy's post before mine, too. He takes something out of Wiki that really helps explain it.

It's all very interesting, really. The boost controller, and how it applies the generated boost to the WG, should really make a huge difference!
Old 12/14/07, 10:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StangMahn
My 1000th Post
Congrats David!

Originally Posted by 89Trooper

Seriously, Bill... the burn-outs really don't even sound the same with the better tires. That's why I keep telling you... if you want to keep making videos, by new stock replacements. Then, when you give the car to Chris, give him good tires that he can't fool around on as much.
I know what you're talking about Tom. And, I also know that the stock BFG's aren't that great (as Leo will post about his track experience tonight). My only debate was that you made it sound like there was a layer of glue around your tires.

Leo and I were just talking about tire upgrades tonight. I explained that moving up to your model of BFG's or the Nitto 555's will help his dragstrip launch somewhat, but it won't prevent him from spinning his tires out of the hole. He'll need some major traction in the way of 295/305 drag radials if he expects to 'grab n' go'.

As far as my next set of tires, I'm not sure what to get (as far as width). But, I do know that I'm on borrowed time everytime I press the REC button on the camcorder.
Old 12/14/07, 10:52 PM
GTR Member

Congrats David!
+3 ?

I know what you're talking about Tom. And, I also know that the stock BFG's aren't that great (as Leo will post about his track experience tonight). My only debate was that you made it sound like there was a layer of glue around your tires.
I didn't mean to imply THAT!

Leo and I were just talking about tire upgrades tonight. I explained that moving up to your model of BFG's or the Nitto 555's will help his dragstrip launch somewhat, but it won't prevent him from spinning his tires out of the hole. He'll need some major traction in the way of 295/305 drag radials if he expects to 'grab n' go'.
Definitely drag radials.

As far as my next set of tires, I'm not sure what to get (as far as width). But, I do know that I'm on borrowed time everytime I press the REC button on the camcorder.
Get the better ones, then... you'll be less tempted to press REC.
Old 12/14/07, 11:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Those are great!!! How do you find these things?!

Originally Posted by TacoBill
The Elves of POTR!

Leo, Jed, Brian, and George!!!

link

Sorry, I'm not in it. I was the one shooting the video!
Originally Posted by swwake
[/quote]
Old 12/14/07, 11:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

While I'm reading the turbo thread....

Here is a turbo part, somewhere, for your enjoyment....

sorry they're so small... they're pics from a screenshot of a web-vid.
Old 12/14/07, 11:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Congrats David!

Did he lower the Pressure at all. He should be at about 15-20 PSI at the most ?? (not having talked to him).
If Leo does more drag racing it would be useless not to be at least on DRs. He's got a bit more power than me and I could not keep the tires from spinning terribly and I think he was the same. I am about past borrowed time on my rears... I can WAY too easily spin the tires and the tread is noticeably low. Going to have to rotate them this weekend. If I am able to go FI next year I am hoping I'll be OK with 275s.

I know that if I want to have any luck on the track I'm going to have to get tires just for the track.
Old 12/15/07, 05:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Regarding tires, I run Nitto 555's: 275/40/18s on all four corners. The Nittos certainly grab better than the stock Pirelli's and are even somewhat comparable to a set of BFG 275/40/17 drag radials that I use on the strip.

However for the comment about 275s with a blower, let me tell you with my current power setup along with base suspension mods (LCAs, Adjst Panhard, and Sport springs- all Steeda components) at WOT I have no traction in 1st and 2nd with either the Nittos or the BFG DRs. Just FYI.
Old 12/15/07, 05:39 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by tom281
However for the comment about 275s with a blower, let me tell you with my current power setup along with base suspension mods (LCAs, Adjst Panhard, and Sport springs- all Steeda components) at WOT I have no traction in 1st and 2nd with either the Nittos or the BFG DRs. Just FYI.
I believe it... my boost comes in too slow and by the time it's in, I'm moving too fast. When I fix the boost issue, I think I'll have the same "problem" as you.
Old 12/15/07, 08:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Did he lower the Pressure at all. He should be at about 15-20 PSI at the most ?? (not having talked to him).
Yes, he aired down too. Also tried all 4 lanes, TC 'on', etc., none worked as far as getting decent traction.

He was kinda PO'd last night about all this. The straw that broke the camel's back was when a stock Acura Integra took him out.
Old 12/15/07, 10:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Well as you all know now I went to the track last night. I fish tailed on every single run regardless of how soft or hard I tried to launch. My best run of the night was a 9.9. Needless to say I left after about 6-8 passes.

Other than the driveshaft I won't be buying any other mods untill I get tires. After last night tires became priority one.
Old 12/15/07, 12:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Other than the driveshaft I won't be buying any other mods untill I get tires. After last night tires became priority one.
You should get a set of 17 in bullitts for the rears and put on some decent DRs if you just want good tires for the strip. Those 18s aren't helping you at the track. I would say get the stock V6 rims, but they won't fit with the GT brakes.
Old 12/15/07, 01:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Went to a Van Halen concert last night at Staples Center in L.A. CA. Great show all the band members are skinny now and are clean cut what happened Oh to make this Mustang related I saw a nice red stang pulling in with a hot babe behind the wheel In case your to don't remember VH here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpX3N...eature=related
">
Old 12/15/07, 02:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Went to cars and coffee at the Ford premier group in Irvine. Lots of nice cars,exotics,ect!
Got a little sideways on my way out...and someone captured it on camera! oops!

Lot's of pics here..http://cncpics.com/v/121507/
Old 12/15/07, 03:47 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by USMC0341
Lot's of pics here..
"Lot's" is right!
Old 12/15/07, 05:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by kh765
You should get a set of 17 in bullitts for the rears and put on some decent DRs if you just want good tires for the strip. Those 18s aren't helping you at the track. I would say get the stock V6 rims, but they won't fit with the GT brakes.
OK, dumb question.. can you put 17s in back and keep the 18s in front ? If you do, then, what size tire could you possibly put on the 17s, wouldn't the tire be smaller and thinner ? Because I've seriously comtemplate doing something along these lines with DRs and 17s...
Old 12/15/07, 06:08 PM
GTR Member

OK, dumb question.. can you put 17s in back and keep the 18s in front ? If you do, then, what size tire could you possibly put on the 17s, wouldn't the tire be smaller and thinner ? Because I've seriously comtemplate doing something along these lines with DRs and 17s...
You could do that. The front would be something like 255/45-18 and the backs would be 255/50-17 and they would both be 27" tall.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)