General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Old 10/23/07, 11:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like the rear springs aren't in the seated correctly. The thump up front could be from the strut bearing or the sway bar link. Unless the strut bearing/mount came apart or isn't aligned it's most likely the sway bar link.
Old 10/23/07, 11:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Excellent pics Jed!

Nothing like a California sunset (well, Hawaii ain't too bad either )

Upper strut mount: Pop could be from dislodged ball bearings within the bearing cap.
Noise can also be from the rubber isolator not postioned on the bottom of the coil pedestal correctly.

Rear spring noise: Guessing the bump stops? Leo and Tom can tell you more on how it sounds when the stop hits the frame.
Bill beat me to it
Old 10/23/07, 11:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In response to Bill's suggestion...

The only reason I modified the bump stops was becuase of the harsh rebound from the rear end hitting the bump stop when going over speed bumps or pot holes.
Old 10/24/07, 12:15 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by habu
It sounds like the rear springs aren't in the seated correctly. The thump up front could be from the strut bearing or the sway bar link. Unless the strut bearing/mount came apart or isn't aligned it's most likely the sway bar link.
I don't think it's the bearings because Midas took apart my old assembly and put the new one back together. I know they could very well have screwed up, but I doubt it for some reason. Would I have to take the USM apart to see if the bearings are dislodged? Sway bar end link was suggested in the thread I made. He said you aren't supposed to reuse them, and, of course, I did. Hopefully that is the problem with the front and that should be an easy fix. The rubber isolator would be another nice, easy fix.

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
The only reason I modified the bump stops was becuase of the harsh rebound from the rear end hitting the bump stop when going over speed bumps or pot holes.
I thought it might have been the bump stops too, but I've had 2 tech-savy guys ride in my car and both said it sounded like the spring. I guess we'll just go in and try that side again and see if it works.

Is there any way to explain the sound you were getting from the bump stops Leo?
Old 10/24/07, 12:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by habu
Bill beat me to it
He has a habit of being on top of things doesn't he.
Old 10/24/07, 03:13 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by kh765
Sway bar end link was suggested in the thread I made. He said you aren't supposed to reuse them, and, of course, I did. Hopefully that is the problem with the front and that should be an easy fix. The rubber isolator would be another nice, easy fix.
Of course you are supposed to reuse the sway bar end links. Who told you that you shouldn't reuse them?

If any of the 4 connections of the end links are loose, it will clunk when going over any bump at all. A good way to get rid of that problem is to remove the sway bar! Seriously, with the stiffer springs, you won't see any sway at all... unless you are going to road race?

If you want to see what it's like without a sway bar, take out one of the end links all together (either side). The one you leave in will hold the sway bar in place, but the sway bar will be disabled.

If you like the way it feels, take it out all together (then you can get the BMR swaybar delete kit and get some weight off the nose). If you don't like it, reinstall the end link and make sure all 4 bolts are as tight as you can get them.

Back Noise:

The bump stop really didn't make any noise... it was more of a harshness thing. Most lowering spring kits come with shorter bump stops.

After you drive around for awhile, look where the bump stop would hit the frame. If there is a mark from hitting, then cut off the top section of the bump stop. I checked and it will STILL hit the shorter bump stop before anything else is hit.
Old 10/24/07, 07:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kh765
Would I have to take the USM apart to see if the bearings are dislodged?
Yes. Here's a couple pics of the bearing cap apart. As you can see, several bearings fell out.

Old 10/24/07, 08:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
PV photoshoot pics are in!

Just a few teaser pics here.

This is my Niece, Amber. She's over 18, but keep the comments nice.

I had 2 of my others nieces show too, but I'll save that for the slideshow later.

Thanks to Jed for the photoshoot, he takes awesome pics!

Sorry Brian and George, you guys missed some nice handprints on your fenders.

Old 10/24/07, 08:39 AM
Cobra Member

I see you took these pics in front of my winter home.......................

Just kiddinggggg

Look great Billster, great pics Bill2
Old 10/24/07, 08:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Back Noise:

The bump stop really didn't make any noise... it was more of a harshness thing. Most lowering spring kits come with shorter bump stops.

After you drive around for awhile, look where the bump stop would hit the frame. If there is a mark from hitting, then cut off the top section of the bump stop. I checked and it will STILL hit the shorter bump stop before anything else is hit.
+1 to that
Old 10/24/07, 10:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry Brian and George, you guys missed some nice handprints on your fenders.
As usual, Great pics Bill
We might be able to get some good pics on saturday
Old 10/24/07, 10:52 AM
GTR Member

I got the strut tower brace for the '89 today. The bar that goes across between the strut towers actually lays on the spark plug wires. Meaning, it still needs to go lower, but can't because it hits the spark plug wires on the distributor cap first.

I'm not too upset, though. Looking at it laying in place, I don't really like the look.

I'll install the K-Member brace to at least triangulate the K-Member... that'll be something.
Nobody cares about my brace not fitting????

Nice pics, Bill!
Old 10/24/07, 11:06 AM
GTR Member

I just ordered the Turbo.

Here are my combined feelings: (in that order).

Brian - I checked - they don't use Dynatech cats. The cats that come with the kit are used on the yellow car in the pictures. They haven't had any failures or complaints from customers except one. That one time was due to overfueling during tuning on a dyno (which I expect could happen with stock cats).
Old 10/24/07, 11:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Nice pics, Bill!
I think that's good news since you picked the brace I didn't vote for.

BTW-Gear install is scheduled for Nov. 9 @ 8am.
Old 10/24/07, 11:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Brian - I checked - they don't use Dynatech cats. The cats that come with the kit are used on the yellow car in the pictures. They haven't had any failures or complaints from customers except one. That one time was due to overfueling during tuning on a dyno (which I expect could happen with stock cats).
Awesome. Congrats. I can't wait for the day when I can post I have a S/C on the way.
Old 10/24/07, 11:13 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I think that's good news since you picked the brace I didn't vote for.

BTW-Gear install is scheduled for Nov. 9 @ 8am.
Leo who's doing the 4.10 install? The same outfit the Bill used?

They should totally thrills, look forward to your assessment of them and what the butt-o-meter registers.
Old 10/24/07, 11:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by philster2003
Leo who's doing the 4.10 install? The same outfit the Bill used?

They should totally thrills, look forward to your assessment of them and what the butt-o-meter registers.
DPR is doing the install. They're one of many San Diego County performance shops. I heard of them through TMS member "Rrobello". He had his gears done there and didn't have any gear whine so I figure they know what they're doing.

I'll give my review as soon as I'm able to get on them. I'm sure it will be awesome considering I went B's out and went with 4.10's even though most people recommend 3.73's for an auto.

Bill-Don't worry I made sure I told them I wanted the 4.10 (A) gears and that I want to see the box the day of.
Old 10/24/07, 12:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Of course you are supposed to reuse the sway bar end links. Who told you that you shouldn't reuse them?

If any of the 4 connections of the end links are loose, it will clunk when going over any bump at all. A good way to get rid of that problem is to remove the sway bar! Seriously, with the stiffer springs, you won't see any sway at all... unless you are going to road race?
Here's what the guy said...

Originally Posted by Tantal
On my last car, an 06' GT (with lowered suspension), if the sway bar end link on one side or the other gets loose (and it will very shortly if you did not use new nuts), then it will make a popping noise that makes you think the strut mount is bad. A TSB on this problem said to be sure you use new nuts as the factory nuts are made to be torqued one time only. Every time I would carefully tighten the nuts it would stop for a while, then start again. Those nuts won't stay tight even if you nearly strip them getting them tight. Some guys double nut them. hope that helps on the front, although I never had a single problem on the back.
Not replacing the end link itself, just the nuts.

So I guess you won't be keeping it then?

My feelings...
Old 10/24/07, 12:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Yes. Here's a couple pics of the bearing cap apart. As you can see, several bearings fell out.
That doesn't look like fun, but I have a strong feeling that is what happened. The USMs are such a PITA to get off.

Sweet pics by the way Bill...
Old 10/24/07, 12:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Will your shaker still suck?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)