General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/07, 09:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Okay, I get it now.

Not much of a game seeing how you can just plug in the questions in Yahoo. Guess it can be fun if you want to put your new GPS to use.

I'm guessing you won't be filling your inbox with answers (except for Brian) so I'll just answer it here.

It's under pole 1 or 9.
not quite sure of what Martin Truex's car number is ??

On a different note.....

It looks like I'll be able to put my stripes on before October after all
Called the auto body place where I got the spoilers painted and I found out that...
Wax in less than 90 days is a NO GO. Can't be done. You have to let the paint cure, which doesn't make sense when he then said that,
Strips/Decals are A-OK after 72 hours ??? I don't get it, but who am I to question him.

So I'm thinking that Labor day is a good day to do it, what do you think ??
Old 8/22/07, 01:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by habu
Wax in less than 90 days is a NO GO. Can't be done. You have to let the paint cure, which doesn't make sense when he then said that,
Strips/Decals are A-OK after 72 hours ??? I don't get it, but who am I to question him.
That makes no sense to me either.

What about the new cars we get from the factory? Didn't most of us jump right in and lay down several coats of Zaino (or whatever) right from the get go? I'm willing to bet the farm that Ford didn't have my painted body sitting around for weeks before final assembly and delivery.

On the vinyl, I'm guessing he thinks it's okay since it's porous. What's not okay is to wax the vinyl until all air bubbles have worked their way out.

Bottom line, lay down the stripes when you're comfortable. Since weeks have gone by, you'll most likely need to clay the areas of the newly painted surfaces (and wherever else it's not smooth) before laying down the vinyl.
Old 8/22/07, 02:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

What about the new cars we get from the factory? Didn't most of us jump right in and lay down several coats of Zaino (or whatever) right from the get go? I'm willing to bet the farm that Ford didn't have my painted body sitting around for weeks before final assembly and delivery.

On the vinyl, I'm guessing he thinks it's okay since it's porous. What's not okay is to wax the vinyl until all air bubbles have worked their way out.

Bottom line, lay down the stripes when you're comfortable. Since weeks have gone by, you'll most likely need to clay the areas of the newly painted surfaces (and wherever else it's not smooth) before laying down the vinyl.
Glad to see that I'm not the only one that didn't get it, but whatever. At least I'll be able to get it done a month or so before I thought I could.

As far as the paint I think the main difference is that on our cars the paint is baked on or the curing is accelerated. Because of the type of material used for the spoilers it isn't baked ???

Thinking about Fontana at all ?
Old 8/22/07, 02:47 PM

After watching Wild Hogs on DVD, it would be fun to plan a road trip with a small group of Stangs (not some crazy train) along Route 66 for a 3 or 4 day photoshoot/video weekend adventure. Not sure how how many miles we'll be able to cover, but it'll be out of CA for sure.

I found this cool website that has some old maps of Route 66 that no longer show up on current maps.
http://www.route66university.com/index.php

Ray, Bill2, Brian, Leo... sounds like a maybe for a future trip?

Sorry for the rest of you outsiders, unless you guys organize a trip to meet up with us.

Here's a short Rt66 clip..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DZg3IenLXk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqTp5xA1PuE
Old 8/22/07, 02:58 PM

Thinking about Fontana at all ?
Sounds okay, but I'm not too sure about this track rule...

Exhaust: Must be routed through street legal muffler(s). All runs will be monitored on a decibel meter (100db at 100" from the strip). If it is too loud you will not be allowed to run. NO EXCEPTIONS! It is your responsibility.

OR-H with Stingers? I need a decibel meter.

I don't think I'm into the drag racing scene too much, so the one trip to Qualcomm may be enough for me. And even that, I'm not 100% in yet.
Old 8/22/07, 03:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After watching Wild Hogs on DVD, it would be fun to plan a road trip with a small group of Stangs (not some crazy train) along Route 66 for a 3 or 4 day photoshoot/video weekend adventure. Not sure how how many miles we'll be able to cover, but it'll be out of CA for sure.

I found this cool website that has some old maps of Route 66 that no longer show up on current maps.

Sorry for the rest of you outsiders, unless you guys organize a trip to meet up with us.

R u going to get a hot babe to throw down here top coat to start you guys off from Roys restaurant? I would hope so, in my dreams I have it happening lol
Old 8/22/07, 03:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Sounds like a plan for the future.

Sounds okay, but I'm not too sure about this track rule...

Exhaust: Must be routed through street legal muffler(s). All runs will be monitored on a decibel meter (100db at 100" from the strip). If it is too loud you will not be allowed to run. NO EXCEPTIONS! It is your responsibility.

OR-H with Stingers? I need a decibel meter.

I don't think I'm into the drag racing scene too much, so the one trip to Qualcomm may be enough for me. And even that, I'm not 100% in yet.
That rule goes for almost all tracks. I know they have the same rule at race legal but they in no way enforce it. Our cars sound like kittens compared to the real muscle cars that show up. So that should be the least of your worries. I'm beginning to think your wussing out of this whole track thing. Come on why all the performance mods if it's never going to see the track. To bad they don't have a chicken smiley.

Edit: Found one.
Old 8/22/07, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by philster2003
R u going to get a hot babe to throw down here top coat to start you guys off from Roys restaurant? I would hope so, in my dreams I have it happening lol
Great idea! I'm sure Bill and Ray will have both angles covered, the front and back!
Old 8/22/07, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I'm beginning to think your wussing out of this whole track thing. Come on why all the performance mods if it's never going to see the track. To bad they don't have a chicken smiley.

I got your chicken right here buddy!
Old 8/22/07, 03:20 PM
Cobra Member

To bad they don't have a chicken smiley.

Here's one for ya Leo... or how about to name a few.
Any help Leo?

Going to the track now Taco boy?

Old 8/22/07, 03:26 PM
Cobra Member

Made it back from Winston-Salem with no problems. Made the 1023 mile trip with an average speed of 64 miles an hour and 25.8 mpg. And that includes 2 traffic jams and running the air conditioner the whole way.

My stang is coming up on year and I just passed 20,000 miles. That is a whole lot of driving.
Old 8/22/07, 04:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Great idea! I'm sure Bill and Ray will have both angles covered, the front and back!
Something like this?

I got your chicken right here buddy!
I guess Bill just doesn't want to be the .
Old 8/22/07, 04:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Did you see this month's edition of Modified Mustangs? They are taking a Roush 427 along the entire route 66 (as best they can), essentially going backwards from Cali eastward. Looks like a lot of fun.
Old 8/23/07, 12:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

That does sound good. But would you actually take your Mustang ?? I mean you could put hundreds of miles on it !!!!

Like Leo said, I don't think you'd have to worry. I think they're trying to prevent full-on open race headers, ya know ? If you're not into it I can dig that. I figure it's better to ask than to never ask.
Old 8/23/07, 12:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by pville piper
Made it back from Winston-Salem with no problems. Made the 1023 mile trip with an average speed of 64 miles an hour and 25.8 mpg. And that includes 2 traffic jams and running the air conditioner the whole way.

My stang is coming up on year and I just passed 20,000 miles. That is a whole lot of driving.
That's great mileage !!

Originally Posted by kh765
Did you see this month's edition of Modified Mustangs? They are taking a Roush 427 along the entire route 66 (as best they can), essentially going backwards from Cali eastward. Looks like a lot of fun.
I picked that up but haven't read it yet. Looks cool. A trip like that would be a blast. I've driven to Virginia from CA twice now and except for Kansas, which is best to do at night, it's nice to see the country. We'd have to plan it out a little bit but it's all entirely doable.
Old 8/23/07, 07:37 AM

Going to the track now Taco boy?
Yeah, yeah.. I'll eventually make that run down the straight and narrow.

My stang is coming up on year and I just passed 20,000 miles.
Wow! That's like 20 years for me!

I guess Bill just doesn't want to be the .
Leo's just sore because I smoked his @ss not once, but TWICE!

... and that was before my latest binge of mods!

Originally Posted by kh765
Yes, I have that issue! That was one of the reasons that stirred my interest in the R66 road trip.

That does sound good. But would you actually take your Mustang ?? I mean you could put hundreds of miles on it !!!!

... I figure it's better to ask than to never ask.
The way I see it, if I put some miles on her or get paint chips in the spoiler or whatever, what better place to do it than Route 66?

I spoke to Bill2 lastnight about it and he's game. He also brought up an idea of a road trip heading north, maybe to Montery/Pebble Beach?

I do appreciate the heads up on any Mustang event. Even if I'm not too interested, there may be others here that are.
Old 8/23/07, 08:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

What about the new cars we get from the factory?
Ok I am by no means a Paint & Body Expert but let me take a stab at why this does make sense to me.

At factory, there are no rubber or plastic pieces on our cars at the time of painting. This in turn allows for a MUCH higher baking temp, curing the paint much faster than a standard body shop can.

Vinyl stripes are porous which allows the paint to still breathe and cure.

Sounds good to me anyway.

Route 66 goes directly through OKC. Cya guys in when you get here.
Old 8/23/07, 08:01 AM
Cobra Member

The way I see it, if I put some miles on her or get paint chips in the spoiler or whatever, what better place to do it than Route 66?
WOW! Bill's actually considering a road trip in the GQ!

I spoke to Bill2 lastnight about it and he's game. He also brought up an idea of a road trip heading north, maybe to Montery/Pebble Beach?

Make it on October 13 or 14 and we'll meet you there!
Old 8/23/07, 09:20 AM

more photoshoot pics...

Just got the all the pics from Bill2 lastnight from out PV shoot last Sunday. Here are my favorite shots of my niece Kai and of the Stangs.

Kudos to Bill2 for taking and composing most all of these shots and to Kai for modeling, and of course to Bill2 and Brian's Mustangs for providing the backdrop.

Old 8/23/07, 09:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
Ok I am by no means a Paint & Body Expert but let me take a stab at why this does make sense to me.

At factory, there are no rubber or plastic pieces on our cars at the time of painting. This in turn allows for a MUCH higher baking temp, curing the paint much faster than a standard body shop can.

Vinyl stripes are porous which allows the paint to still breathe and cure.

Sounds good to me anyway.

Route 66 goes directly through OKC. Cya guys in when you get here.
I didn't think the vinyl was porous. Knowing that now it make a little more sense.

I've been through OKC, it's a nice place. Didn't get to see much that wasn't off the freeway though

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)