General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/07, 01:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by habu
Yep after dinner drove to a DQ and had a blizzard. Wasn't even thinking about one 'til you mentioned it and then I had to have one.
Originally Posted by TacoBill

Too funny!

I must have had 3 or 4 Blizzards (Mostly Oreo, but tried the banana split once) in HI! Plus, went to a Cold Stone too!
Originally Posted by mikes rx
mmmmmmmmm. Cold Stone
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Cheescake ice cream with brownies.
You'd think we were all starved.

I want some ice cream...
Old 7/20/07, 06:05 AM
Cobra Member

mmmmmmmmm. Cold Stone
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmm... Coffee Lovers, without the almonds for me.
Old 7/20/07, 06:34 AM
Cobra Member

see we're no different in So Cal, I think I've driven mine in the rain twice... Of course it's only rained twice in the last year or so.
Well today I had to drive to work in the rain, a blithering torrential downpour to be exact with lightning and thunder all around. Oh well that’s like the only real first time I've had the car in the rain so far and that’s a miracle for living here in Houston.
Old 7/20/07, 06:36 AM
Cobra Member

mmmmmmmmm. Cold Stone

Yummy...............Cake Batter and Black Cheeries
Old 7/20/07, 06:44 AM
Cobra Member

OK I officially ordered the Steeda Ulta Lites yesterday and they should be at the house by Tuesday next week. Got a great price from Brenspeed and they were great to deal with as they had it shipped about 2 hrs after I ordered it and sent me some emails keeping me fully informed.

I also have a place I go to in town that has a spring compressor and he will help me out on the real cheap ($15).

I'll try and get it done next weekend as long as my energy level stays high enough, I'll do the fronts on Saturday and the rears on Sunday. In the old days I would have had it done in one day but these days the energy level does not last long and I have to be careful and segment my time or I pay for it the next few days..............

When I'm done Bill, its tire roasting time and rear wheel hop elimination validation time. That should be fun....................
Old 7/20/07, 07:36 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by philster2003
OK I officially ordered the Steeda Ulta Lites yesterday and they should be at the house by Tuesday next week. Got a great price from Brenspeed and they were great to deal with as they had it shipped about 2 hrs after I ordered it and sent me some emails keeping me fully informed.

I also have a place I go to in town that has a spring compressor and he will help me out on the real cheap ($15).

I'll try and get it done next weekend as long as my energy level stays high enough, I'll do the fronts on Saturday and the rears on Sunday. In the old days I would have had it done in one day but these days the energy level does not last long and I have to be careful and segment my time or I pay for it the next few days..............

When I'm done Bill, its tire roasting time and rear wheel hop elimination validation time. That should be fun....................

Sweet Phil!

I might be going with the Steedas one day. Can't wait to see that wheel gap go away!
Old 7/20/07, 07:38 AM
GTR Member

You can even do it without a spring compressor... and safely.
Old 7/20/07, 07:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pville piper
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmm... Coffee Lovers, without the almonds for me.
even if it's too early... MMMMMMMMmmmmmm Reeses Peanut Butter Cup and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Blizzards... MMMMMmmmmm
Old 7/20/07, 07:46 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
You can even do it without a spring compressor... and safely.
Great quote, one that evokes much thought

Really Tom? How?
Old 7/20/07, 07:53 AM
GTR Member

Great quote, one that evokes much thought

Really Tom? How?
As I was waiting to be asked "how"...

They did it on Horsepower TV. With the car on the ground, use an air impact wrench to remove the center nuts from each of the struts (leave the 4 small nuts alone for now). Then you can jack each side of the car up separately to remove the spring. As you jack the car up, the tension is released from the spring and it can be removed safely.

Once the tension is removed, you can pretty much follow Bill's write up.

When you install the new springs, they are shorter and you don't need to compress them to install them onto the struts.
Old 7/20/07, 08:23 AM
Cobra Member

As I was waiting to be asked "how"...

They did it on Horsepower TV. With the car on the ground, use an air impact wrench to remove the center nuts from each of the struts (leave the 4 small nuts alone for now). Then you can jack each side of the car up separately to remove the spring. As you jack the car up, the tension is released from the spring and it can be removed safely.

Once the tension is removed, you can pretty much follow Bill's write up.

When you install the new springs, they are shorter and you don't need to compress them to install them onto the struts.
Thanks Tom, trying to visualize this........................

Car on ground..............Oh I get it, jack up the car, loosen the strut assembly so you can lower it and slide the coil up over the top. Yes I think that will work.

Nice tip Tom!
Old 7/20/07, 08:36 AM
GTR Member

Well, after the spring is out, I would remove the 4 nuts to remove the piece out of the car that goes on top of the spring. Then I would reassemble everything outside of the car so you can see what you are doing. Then reinstall the spring assembly back into the car.

Basically, follow Bill's instructions, EXCEPT:

use the weight of the car as your spring compressor.

As you jack up one side of the car, you are slowly expanding the spring.

Just so you know, I have never done it this way, but I would have no worries trying it this way if I ever had to do it again.
Old 7/20/07, 08:42 AM
GTR Member

Why I like WHITE:

Attachment 30088

That picture was taken 5 minutes ago after backing out of the garage. I have not washed the car since the day before Super Stang Fest in Daytona. That was June 8th (42 days ago). And I have been through at least 7 torrential downpours, and through "lakes" after leaving work with the water up almost to the bottom of the doors.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn6002.jpg  
Old 7/20/07, 08:47 AM
Cobra Member

Well, after the spring is out, I would remove the 4 nuts to remove the piece out of the car that goes on top of the spring. Then I would reassemble everything outside of the car so you can see what you are doing. Then reinstall the spring assembly back into the car.

Basically, follow Bill's instructions, EXCEPT:

use the weight of the car as your spring compressor.

As you jack up one side of the car, you are slowly expanding the spring.

Just so you know, I have never done it this way, but I would have no worries trying it this way if I ever had to do it again.
Now I'm back to having a hard time visualizing this. And why remove the 4 nuts, couldn't you just leave them installed?

I might have to use the Taco method unless I figure out this laternate solution you provided Tom. Come on over tho Houston and lets have a go at it.......................
Old 7/20/07, 08:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, Tom's a post ***** today! Boss must be out sick.

Phil, read all the other posts on the front spring 'how-to', has some other helpful info like which direction the arrow points on the strut bearing cap (I forgot which direction already ) .

Speaking of torrential downpours, I think I only cycled my windshield wipers once, and that was by accident.
Old 7/20/07, 08:54 AM
Cobra Member

Phil, read all the other posts on the front spring 'how-to', has some other helpful info like which direction the arrow points on the strut bearing cap (I forgot which direction already ) .
What other posts Bill? There aren't any in your How Too Posts for springs that I see? Now I'm getting nervous I can't do this yikes.
Old 7/20/07, 08:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now I'm back to having a hard time visualizing this. And why remove the 4 nuts, couldn't you just leave them installed?

I might have to use the Taco method unless I figure out this laternate solution you provided Tom. Come on over tho Houston and lets have a go at it.......................
You'd need to remove them, once the car is jacked up, to remove the whole assembly.
I can see how it'd work, but I am glad I went with a compressor. Even if was a cheapo type.
With the FRPP springs I didn't need the compressor to put it all back together again so re-assembly is much easier.

Also make double sure you've got the end-links torqued and permatexted down. It looks like it most of the "clunking" that people complain about.
Old 7/20/07, 08:57 AM
Cobra Member

Speaking of torrential downpours, I think I only cycled my windshield wipers once, and that was by accident.
Yea yea yea, we know you live in paradise. Some of us live monsoon mania You would not all of us moving to where you are, be way to crowed for you plus being on the left coast is way to confusing for me. I’m a right coast kind of guy, although I am left handed lol
Old 7/20/07, 08:59 AM
GTR Member

They left them installed on Horsepower TV, but I would like to remove the ball bearing assembly so I can make sure the spring is seated properly during reassembly. By all means get a compressor if you feel better about it.

Wow, Tom's a post ***** today! Boss must be out sick.
I'm at home. Mickey's never sick. (It's IT that is watching the net, anyway. Our bosses used to be on the internet just as much.)

With the FRPP springs I didn't need the compressor to put it all back together again so re-assembly is much easier.
Exactly. I had my dad push down on the upper piece with the 4 studs just so I could start the center nut.

I might be helping a guy change his springs in the near future. I'll do it the non-compressor way and take pictures. It may not be for awhile, though.
Old 7/20/07, 09:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
What other posts Bill? There aren't any in your How Too Posts for springs that I see? Now I'm getting nervous I can't do this yikes.
My hotlinks only link to the single post (#2). You have to click on the thread title to view all... you noob.

Or, click this.. Thread: Steeda Ultralite spring install complete!

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)