General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 6/24/07, 08:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JedCranium
Ya Bill I can't wait for KB to come home! Looking at my pictures those ugly exhaust things have to go! Those rusty boys need to be replaced, what's your opinion on Stainless Steel vs Ceramic coated? Bill
Definately ceramic coated... Stainless will turn brown.
Old 6/24/07, 08:16 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by pville piper
Definately ceramic coated... Stainless will turn brown.
Ceramic also, stainless will blue and brown like John said
Old 6/24/07, 08:31 AM
GTR Member

Stainless steel AND ceramic coated. Chrome is what turns the blue and brown.

These headers have been on this engine and the previous engine (they are at least 3 years old):

Attachment 28689

They are stainless steel and then ceramic coated.

If you look closely, the bolts that are holding those headers are stainless steel (and not coated), and they are just as beautiful as the day I installed them.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn5689.jpg  
Old 6/24/07, 08:48 AM
Cobra Member

I stand corrected then. I do remember an ol hot rodders trick that works with chrome headers. They say to coat the inside with motor oil and then run the engine. The oil will seal the pores in the metal and prevent the headers from turning blue. I have not done this myself but I read it in Hot Rod many years ago... And if I read it there it must be true!

I still say ceramic... Goes with the whole polished theme.
Old 6/24/07, 08:52 AM
GTR Member

I still say ceramic... Goes with the whole polished theme.
Yes... if not both, then at least ceramic.
Old 6/24/07, 11:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JedCranium
Looking at my pictures those ugly exhaust things have to go! Those rusty boys need to be replaced, what's your opinion on Stainless Steel vs Ceramic coated?
Your only option are the JBA Cat4ward shorty headers. Why? Because they're the only ones that have a CA CARB exempt number.
So, if you feel like cutting loose of $800+ (for $200 headers), get the Titanium ceramic coated ones!

Originally Posted by kh765
Hopefully Raptor will come through for ya Bill...
Well, now I'm considering another shift light. After seeing Bill's MSD light in person, it looks pretty darn good. Some benefits over the Raptor is a brightness control for the LED's, digital RPM display and setting (in 10 rpm increments), and a non-splice pick-up sensor (see pic). Attachment 28695
Only downfall is that it cost more $$$!!!
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-img_9925.jpg  
Old 6/24/07, 11:33 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
You are so tortured Bill!

I was riding around yesterday contemplating my exhaust quandary when it hit me... I'll fix the noise issue with the MGW shifter so that long trips don't end in a headache and then I'll figure out a noise cutout so that I can enjoy the sound while cruising around town!

I think I need professional help!
Old 6/24/07, 12:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Your only option are the JBA Cat4ward shorty headers. Why? Because they're the only ones that have a CA CARB exempt number.
So, if you feel like cutting loose of $800+ (for $200 headers), get the Titanium ceramic coated ones!

Well, now I'm considering another shift light. After seeing Bill's MSD light in person, it looks pretty darn good. Some benefits over the Raptor is a brightness control for the LED's, digital RPM display and setting (in 10 rpm increments), and a non-splice pick-up sensor (see pic). Attachment 28695
Hey Bill thanks for the header advice looks like I have to save up some penny's and dimes! Yes go with the MSD Shift light, I like it! This first time it came on at night it scared me I thought I was being pulled over!

While I was on MSD's web site I saw this below. I am consideriing this when they make it for the 2006 4.6 3V. I want see more info on it first, I wonder if you need to change your spark plug heat range with this thing? On top of that I don't think it's CARB approved yet.

Old 6/24/07, 12:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Haha twice as much...but you have that money tree to pick from, right?
Old 6/24/07, 01:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Stainless steel AND ceramic coated. Chrome is what turns the blue and brown.

These headers have been on this engine and the previous engine (they are at least 3 years old):

Attachment 28689

They are stainless steel and then ceramic coated.

If you look closely, the bolts that are holding those headers are stainless steel (and not coated), and they are just as beautiful as the day I installed them.
Yes I meant stainless then ceramic Tom, thank you!

What a beautiful engine Tom!!!! It would be great if you can share more of those pics. Boy its nice to see an engine that’s so devoid of air pollution and extra "stuff".

Wish I lived closer to you Tom, I could learn a lot from you
Old 6/24/07, 01:24 PM
Cobra Member

Oh the benefits of living in sunny wonderful California.......................

Come to a real state where the state doesn't tell you what to do but you tell the state what to do! I guarantee you that you think twice before you flip somebody off here with the concealed gun law. Man oh man you never know who is packing lol I've seen some crazy things on the highway here, glad I keep my NY temper bagged.

Air pollution, not a problem here, we got it and we don't want to deal with it
Old 6/24/07, 01:28 PM
Cobra Member

I think I need professional help!
John, you did not leave yourself open like you did..............did you I think you did

Get the friggin shifter and keep spending $
Old 6/24/07, 01:31 PM
Cobra Member

Bill its a joy to see you in a conundrum, its pure joy to see how you decide how to spend your money. ANd its a joy that you are always first and a guinea pig for the rest of us ya whos
Old 6/24/07, 02:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Flex Hoses, VHP 7

Bill you know how I love spending your money! Remember we talked about flex hoses check out this thread.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ght=cam+covers

Since were on a bling thing! I want to introduce a new measurment VHP (Visual Horse Power). SS hosees have to rank at least about 7 VHP on a 10 point scale! Only bad thing VHP cannot be measured on a dyno Just your minds dyno!

Bill

Check this out more goodies! Plus their in Cali!

http://www.pi-thon.com/

Old 6/24/07, 05:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Camcovers look good Bill #2.

Not a fan of the "blingy" hoses.
Old 6/24/07, 07:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice Covers Bill !!

Speaking of covers... Whew, am I glad I'm done with mine... Didn't take too many pics 'cause it was just me and I just couldn't do it as nice as TacoBill does. Dad did come home and help put 'em back on though. Here you go, my 15 dollar solution.

Old 6/24/07, 08:04 PM
GTR Member

Looks good, Brian! See the directions about the 7 days?

You'll have to take a picture in a week / month so we can see how they hold up.

The new CAI looks good, Bill... "Tom who?"? I'm still reading everything... did a lot of Geocaching with family and friends this whole weekend.
Old 6/24/07, 08:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Looks good, Brian! See the directions about the 7 days?

You'll have to take a picture in a week / month so we can see how they hold up.

The new CAI looks good, Bill... "Tom who?"? I'm still reading everything... did a lot of Geocaching with family and friends this whole weekend.
Thanks !!
Yep !! (after running back out and re-reading it). I am assuming that the 7 days to cure relates to and additional coat. If it's 7 days before I can drive it, then I'm screwed.
Old 6/24/07, 08:13 PM
GTR Member

No, it's until you can re-coat it again. After 1 hour without a coat, the next coat will not adhere properly.

Did you clear coat them with the clear from the same company? I'm guessing yes since you said $15. Prime, blue, and clear?
Old 6/24/07, 08:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

No, it's until you can re-coat it again. After 1 hour without a coat, the next coat will not adhere properly.

Did you clear coat them with the clear from the same company? I'm guessing yes since you said $15. Prime, blue, and clear?
good. Then I followed the directions perfectly. 10 minutes between the 3 coats finished within an hour.
I did on the drivers side and it looked very dull... so close to the end of the 10-minutes after I sprayed the clear I used 0000 steel wool to get rid of the little bumps/flakes/weirdness that the clear coat had and sprayed another coat of the blue. The passenger side has no clear coat.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)