General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/07, 07:43 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
That's what those guys thought too.
They must not know how to prep and/or paint.

I've used that paint for blocks, brackets, pulleys, timing covers, water pumps, intakes, valve covers, oil pans, and I'm sure more.

I've never had anything chip, flake, peel, or crack.

I clean the parts with brake cleaner and then with soapy water to get off any of the cleaner or left over film. It will cost you another $4, because I forgot the primer.

You have to prime it, paint it, and clear it all within 1 hour... 10 minutes between coats (I usually do 2 coats of primer, 3 light coats of paint, and 2 coats of clear). If 1 hour passes, you have to wait 7 days before the next coat. Maybe they weren't following the directions?
Old 6/15/07, 08:50 PM
Cobra Member

Next on my mod list...

Raptor shift light.
Found a seller on ebay that's selling them for $85 shipped ($7 cheaper than Raptor direct).

I'm planning on mounting it inside the left-center air vent. I'll have to look inside the vent to see if the black or silver Raptor housing blends in better before placing my order.

Its interesting to watch how your mind operates Bill. Shift light.................... So will you set it at 5800 so that by the time you actually physically shift your tack will be closer to 6K?

A shift light, hmmmm

Interesting
Old 6/15/07, 09:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Maybe they weren't following the directions?
I have no clue as I didn't witness their painting process. All I can report are their experiences with painting their covers. I'm sure there's probably more paint success stories (than failures) so it's all up to the individual and their confidence in doing the job right.

Originally Posted by philster2003
A shift light, hmmmm

Interesting
It's not just a pretty mod, it will be very much functional.

When I'm driving all crazy, I find myself glancing down at the tach more than I should. What I should be doing is keeping my eyes on the road!

Now, if one doesn't drive the car like they stole it (like me ), the shift light will probably never illuminate and be a waste in getting one.

And yes, because of my old age and slow reaction time, I'd probably set it to 6000 in hopes of avoiding the limiter at 6250 (I think).
Old 6/15/07, 11:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They must not know how to prep and/or paint.

I've used that paint for blocks, brackets, pulleys, timing covers, water pumps, intakes, valve covers, oil pans, and I'm sure more.

I've never had anything chip, flake, peel, or crack.

I clean the parts with brake cleaner and then with soapy water to get off any of the cleaner or left over film. It will cost you another $4, because I forgot the primer.

You have to prime it, paint it, and clear it all within 1 hour... 10 minutes between coats (I usually do 2 coats of primer, 3 light coats of paint, and 2 coats of clear). If 1 hour passes, you have to wait 7 days before the next coat. Maybe they weren't following the directions?
I've never had any issue with anything I've ever painted. I've always just put two coats on everything and call it good. About the only time I've had it chip was when I scratched it with a dropped screwdriver.

Now, the primer, paint and clear all within 1 hour... I've never heard that. Why wouldn't you let the primer dry first then do the paint in quick succession ? Even then I'd be tempted to use 1000 grit and water sand the primer to get a really good surface. But of course you can't do that if it's 10 minutes between coats.

Is the 1 hour instruction deal on the paint can itself ???

Oh and Bill.... on the shift light. It waaaay better than the HUGE FRPP tach, but listen to the motor it'll talk to ya better than a shift light will, IMO.
Old 6/15/07, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by habu
Oh and Bill.... on the shift light. It waaaay better than the HUGE FRPP tach, but listen to the motor it'll talk to ya better than a shift light will, IMO.

Believe me Brian, I know EXACTLY what my motor is telling me when it hits the limiter... cough... spit.. cough! That's the reason for the light, to stop the hairball effect.
Old 6/15/07, 11:33 PM

Now, the primer, paint and clear all within 1 hour... I've never heard that.
Ever hear of 1 Day Paint & Body?
Old 6/15/07, 11:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Ever hear of 1 Day Paint & Body?
yeah, yeah yeah. Funny Mr Funnyman.

Ahem, On Valve Covers with Engine paint, I meant.

What I DIDn't say was worst case scenario they'll look like crud in a couple of months and THEN I can get them powercoated. Until then paint 'em myself and if I don't like it worry about it later. For the July show I'd at least be ready.

I totally understand the shift light, and following Leo with the stickypod on my hood I hit the limiter pretty hard, watching Leo and not listening to the car , so I get it and IF there was one to get that would be a very good low-key one. I'll have to judge after you be the guinea pig for us all
Old 6/16/07, 06:14 AM
Cobra Member

It's not just a pretty mod, it will be very much functional.

When I'm driving all crazy, I find myself glancing down at the tach more than I should. What I should be doing is keeping my eyes on the road!

Now, if one doesn't drive the car like they stole it (like me ), the shift light will probably never illuminate and be a waste in getting one.

And yes, because of my old age and slow reaction time, I'd probably set it to 6000 in hopes of avoiding the limiter at 6250 (I think).
OK Bill I'm totally with you pal. I just like to watch that intricate computer of a brain of yours with all its wheels turning churn out the next great mod or the next great direction.

Like Brian said we'll all wait until you get this installed and the How To write up done. Then we can decide if and when we will follow the leader. So hurry up and get this done, stop talking about it will ya.
Old 6/16/07, 06:16 AM
GTR Member

Is the 1 hour instruction deal on the paint can itself ???
Yeah... next time you are in an auto parts store, check it out. It even says to wait the 7 days if you exceed the 1 hour. I'm guessing what is happening is that people don't read the instructions and put a coat on, let it dry, and then put another coat on awhile later. After 1 hour passes, the next coat won't adhere properly to the previous coats. This only applies to enamel paint.

What's wrong with a HUGE tach?

Attachment 28020

Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn5456.jpg  
Old 6/16/07, 06:21 AM
Cobra Member

Attachment 28020

Toms up early this morning...................... That tach looks good to me Tom. I like the tach as long as you have the HP under the hood to back it up and in your case you have it! The Tropper is a great Mustang
Old 6/16/07, 06:25 AM
GTR Member

Toms up early this morning...................... That tach looks good to me Tom. I like the tach as long as you have the HP under the hood to back it up and in your case you have it! The Tropper is a great Mustang
You are too kind...

Actually, I'm up late. Normally I'm up two hours earlier to go to work.

We are taking the Saturn (my wife's car) in for new tires. I found her some pretty nice ones.

Also taking one of the '06's tires along. I found a stupid nail again.
Old 6/16/07, 07:16 AM
Cobra Member

Oh LORD... Please don't let this degenerate into a "my tach is bigger than your tach"! I mean... Does size really matter?

Old 6/16/07, 07:18 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by pville piper
Does size really matter?
Why yes, yes it does................
Old 6/16/07, 07:40 AM
GTR Member

I would never put that HUGE AutoMeter tach in the '06. It's right at home in the '89, though.
Old 6/16/07, 08:06 AM

That's one of the few pics I've seen of the interior. Seen plenty of the exterior, engine and trans, but not too many of the inside.

So hurry up and get this done, stop talking about it will ya.
I will, just as soon as I contact Raptor to see if they'll send me an 'evaluation' unit.

edit: Great, they're closed for a week!

But first things first, camcovers this morning.

We are taking the Saturn (my wife's car) in for new tires. I found her some pretty nice ones.

Also taking one of the '06's tires along. I found a stupid nail again.
Them are some pretty fancy looking tires for a Saturn!

Another nail? That makes 2 or 3 now, right?
Old 6/16/07, 09:13 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Believe me Brian, I know EXACTLY what my motor is telling me when it hits the limiter... cough... spit.. cough! That's the reason for the light, to stop the hairball effect.
Bump the rev limiter to 6500rpm and you won't need the light.
I never hit the rev limiter anymore and I almost never look at the tach.
The problem that I found was that just when it sounded like I didn't want to rev any higher, I went to shift and just before I pulled the lever the limiter would kick in.
Now, no problem. It was amazing the difference only a 250rpm bump could do.
Just my $.02
Old 6/16/07, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by karman
... I found was that just when it sounded like I didn't want to rev any higher, I went to shift and just before I pulled the lever the limiter would kick in.
I'm not as skilled.

I need the idiot light.

Maybe I'm just looking for new mods to buy.
Old 6/16/07, 09:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

I would never put that HUGE AutoMeter tach in the '06. It's right at home in the '89, though.
+100000
Old 6/16/07, 11:54 AM
Cobra R Member

Maybe I'm just looking for new mods to buy.
REALLLLLLLLLLLY?!

Not that the shift light isn't a useful mod or anything...

Those are some nice Falken tires Tom. Sorry about the 06 getting another nail.
Old 6/16/07, 04:04 PM
Cobra Member

Yup...

You guessed it...

That is an official Bama Chips smile!

Man... This car can boil the tires now!

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)