General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/07, 06:51 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Just got off the phone with Tom. Dyno numbers for the 89 are in...

314.24 RWHP (393 Crank HP)
333.48 TQ

Tom is ecstatic beyond belief!
Very ecstatic!

And I just noticed that both of our HP-to-CID's are right at 1.2!

Yours = 343 / 281

Mine = 393 / 331
Old 6/9/07, 07:51 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by philster2003

Oh and I've been driving the GT all day with the C&L CAI and BAMA 93R and its totally exhilarating. I can't believe how it feels when your in 2nd gear and you start to cross 4k RPM its like after burners kick in god golly miss molly that’s a good mod.
My favorite is spinning the wheels going into 2nd for what seems like a couple car lengths when I'm already doin' about 40mph.
Old 6/9/07, 08:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Alright, now I'm back from Daytona to join back in the fun here. I'll either upload the 120 pictures I took at the show tonight or tomorrow. I'll make sure to show off the Hurst as promised.

Tom- I looked at the pics of "you" crossing your arms and I realized it was actually Dave. Haha, it's still going to make a good .gif if I can get the chance to get it done.
Old 6/9/07, 08:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Phil- You really have taken posting to a whole new level! You are going to pass me in posts in a week on the forum. lol

Oh yeah, the Source swept the top 3 in the 05+ class at Super Stang Fest. Continuing the tradition of the best forum on the net!
Old 6/9/07, 08:12 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by kh765
Oh yeah, the Source swept the top 3 in the 05+ class at Super Stang Fest. Continuing the tradition of the best forum on the net!
Yep! Out of allllll the 2005+ cars there, Perry got 1st, Kyle got 2nd, and I got 3rd in the "Best 2005+" class. Nothin' for the 1989... . One can't start to expect to get something every time, but I didn't really see many other great-looking 87-93 cars. Maybe the judges had something against cops?

Originally Posted by kh765
Tom- I looked at the pics of "you" crossing your arms and I realized it was actually Dave. Haha, it's still going to make a good .gif if I can get the chance to get it done.
I thought it was me, too! Which Dave? The one that drove the '06? Looking forward to the pics!
Old 6/9/07, 08:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I thought it was me, too! Which Dave? The one that drove the '06?
Haha I should never say Dave without more information than that. It was Dave Burke.
Old 6/9/07, 08:26 PM
GTR Member

Here is the dyno graph from today:

Here is the red line run, where he stopped right before 6000 RPM. If you watch, when he gets off the gas, you can see the smoke come out. I'm sure that's normal:

Here is the blue line run, where he took it to the rev-limit of 6500. The end of the graph where the blue line starts to go all over the place is not the rev-limiter. The rev-limiter is after the blue line stops. I'm not sure what that blue line going all over the place is, unless it's the cam running out of power around 6000 RPM. Here you can see smoke come out of the exhaust BEFORE the bouncing off the rev-limiter, and then the same smoke as above after he gets off the gas:

What ever it is (karman?), I don't think any damage was done as the car drove great on the way home... no smoke or loss of power. Of course I think the worst... valve float, bent valves, etc. But if the valves were bent, it would have smoked on the way home for sure.

At any rate, my new rev-limit is back to 6000 RPM - no power after that, anyway!
Old 6/9/07, 10:00 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Tom, my uneducated guess is that it may just be unburnt gas.
It would be darker if it was burning rich or thicker if it was oil.
@3000rpm you show a very rich mixture.
With your foot off the gas the engine may still grab more fuel from the carb than it uses as it winds down.
No matter what it is, I doubt there is any damage.
Old 6/9/07, 11:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by philster2003
Here is what the underside of the shift area looks like now that’s its Dynamatted. Much less noise, MUCH
Got enough Dynomat under there Phil?
Looks like a space blanket or something. But, if that's what was needed to quiet things down for you in the cabin, gotta do it.

Also, glad you diggin' the new CAI and tune.

Yep! Out of allllll the 2005+ cars there, Perry got 1st, Kyle got 2nd, and I got 3rd in the "Best 2005+" class. Nothin' for the 1989... .
Congrats on the 3rd Place!
Just placing at a big show is an accomplishment.

My first of the season isn't til July 29th. Leo and Brian should be attending this show too.

Congrats on the dyno numbers too! Anytime you're cranking out more than 1 HP per CID, you're doing good.
Old 6/9/07, 11:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
My day..

I removed the K&N heatshield and test fitted the Shaker. Also went for a short cruise with Chris. Been 2 weeks since last driven, way too long!

Something interesting happened when I first cranked over the engine. As soon as it started, it jumped to about 2k rpm's and hung there for what seemed like a long time, but really was only around 5-7 seconds. Then it settled down to about 1k rpm's. At first, I thought it was my new tune I uploaded after the CMDP install. Then it dawned on me, it wasn't the tune, it was the Delete Plates!
I'm guessing this is what happens when the engine's cold and you're missing butterfly plates in the Charge Motion runners. Who knew.

Anyway, here some pics from today.

The only way I'd let my Stang get wet...
Old 6/10/07, 12:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Tom-Congrats on the awesome numbers.

Bill-Nice pics looks like you went down to PV.

Phil-Glad to hear your enjoying your tune.

I've got pics of today's cruise,and a couple other car events from recent weeks that I'll be uploading tomorrow.

Finally got to see the SHR louvers in person and have to say I may consider making the switch in the future.
Old 6/10/07, 01:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great pics Bill !! It was a great day to be out driving the stang.

Leo how many cars were on the cruise ? we ended up with almost 30, which isn't too bad, IMO.

Phil, Tunes are great. Doug is the man !! great to hear you are having a blast.

I am back from the Irwindale shin-dig... Got to have our cars in an area inside the gates for people to come up and gawk. Had to drive to the backstretch and wait for the autograph session on the track to end and the cars to come off the track, right by us... Then it was our turn. I fully expected 1-lap like they said but we got 3 or 4. It was a flipping blast. Everyone slowing down/stopping just before the front stretch and showing off to the crowd. They warned us to be careful because last time it was corvettes and one burned out and when the car hooked up it was instant left into the wall. So as much as I would have loved to burn out on the speedway I love my car too much and played it somewhat safe. I took a ton of pics, 251, and have to go through them and push them up, most likely later tomorrow evening.
Old 6/10/07, 05:57 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by karman
Tom, my uneducated guess is that it may just be unburnt gas.
It would be darker if it was burning rich or thicker if it was oil.
@3000rpm you show a very rich mixture.
With your foot off the gas the engine may still grab more fuel from the carb than it uses as it winds down.
No matter what it is, I doubt there is any damage.
Yeah, during the winding down on both videos, I would expect to see some sort of smoke as it goes from WOT to basically nothing.

I was just concerned about that smoke from 6000 to 6500 RPM while he was still at WOT. If that's what you were talking about with the unburnt gas, I hope you are right. Did you mean that if it was valve float that we would have seen thicker, blue smoke during that time?

As far as the 3000 RPM point, in every dyno graph so far, the car goes rich at that point and then levels out somewhat. This time, since I jetted the secondaries 8% leaner, it leveled out much closer to the 13:1 max power point. The first time, it leveled out under 12:1.
Old 6/10/07, 06:02 AM
GTR Member

Great pics, Bill! Is that water coming out of a boob?

Looking forward to yours, Brian - sounded like a lot of fun!
Old 6/10/07, 10:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Great pics, Bill! Is that water coming out of a boob?
+1. Hah looks like it doesn't it?
Old 6/10/07, 11:03 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bill,this is a family forum
Old 6/10/07, 11:42 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Got enough Dynomat under there Phil?
Looks like a space blanket or something.

Also, glad you diggin' the new CAI and tune.
Sometimes a guy has to do what a guy has to do Bill and the BAMA tune is so friggin nice!
Old 6/10/07, 11:45 AM
Cobra Member

It's carbureted and raw horsepower... no computer... all tuned by me.

THAT's how you get just under 400 BHP!
Tom you are my hero, I'm so impressed my friend, good job, wish I could see it in person. My father lives in Fort Meyers during the winter, maybe next winter when he and I do our annual Spring Baseball trip I'll try and look ya up in person.
Old 6/10/07, 11:53 AM
Cobra Member

OK taking a cue from Bill's fun day yesterday, I did the Zanio buff this morning before the oven heated up like it does around here lol

Here are some payoff pic's to verify Zanio is the best stuff, this tool all of 1oz of Zanio, hard to believe so little goes so far. Check out the reflections on that Alloy Metallic paint

Old 6/10/07, 11:54 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I've got pics of today's cruise,and a couple other car events from recent weeks that I'll be uploading tomorrow.
Come on Kyle lets see those pics man!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)