General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Old 5/11/07, 01:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Agent MOO
Well, now that that's settled..

I just got exhaust cutouts today..
Welcome Ben. Yeah, topics change daily, sometimes we'll have multiple topics going on at the same time.

With your cutouts after the cats, it should sound a hair louder than the SLP L/M's and Stingers. If you have the windows down, careful of the fumes when at idle!
Old 5/11/07, 02:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Agent MOO
I've got Flowmasters on the way as daily drivers, and I'll uncork these when I want the pipes to scream! Planning on putting them right after the H so that the pressure difference isn't too drastic for the computer to handle.
I'd recommend removing your flowmasters and seeing the sound difference before going through the hassle of adding the cutouts. I'm willing to bet the sound difference will be very minimal. JMO.
---------------------------------

While at the dealership I saw a few modified stangs for sale. Two or three of them were lowered and you could see that they'd modified the bumpstop the same way Tom did.
Old 5/11/07, 02:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I'd recommend removing your flowmasters and seeing the sound difference before going through the hassle of adding the cutouts. I'm willing to bet the sound difference will be very minimal. JMO.
Well, I'm downgrading from stingers, I really liked the volume and tone, but I couldn't take the 2k rpm drone every day on my 2 hour commute ( Plus my fiancee wouldnt ride in the car with them ). I'm doing a trade, stingers for the AT's.

Originally Posted by TacoBill
With your cutouts after the cats, it should sound a hair louder than the SLP L/M's and Stingers. If you have the windows down, careful of the fumes when at idle!
Slightly louder than stingers is what I'm shooting for. Eventually I want to get the electric cutout valves on there so I can pull up to ricers and make them pee their pants
Old 5/11/07, 02:38 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
You're most likey correct Leo. When I lost the muffler on my 90 Ranger with a 2.8 V6 I didn't bother to replace it... The cats quieted it down enough. Nice thing about being in Alabama... No inspections!
Old 5/11/07, 03:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I'm more hungry for a hot dog, for some reason.

But, I'll check with some of my sources... maybe I can have one delivered right to the Tree of Life. I ordered $143,000 worth of parts today alone (for 1 attraction), so what's another $50,000 or $60,000?

What color?

Actually, I would rather procure two Challengers.

Hey, Mike, did we miss the auto show at EPCOT this year? If not, are we going to go again and try to get kicked out? We can peel out in some SSRs again, and spin out some Solstices...

EDIT: Post 3000!
Actually, they cancelled the EPCOT test drive this year, something about
some idiots abusing the high performance models.

There's a new crystal red for the 08 vette I'd like to see. The new Challenger with the big Hemi and 6-spd. is expected to be around the same price as a base vette. Somewhat more than the Charger SRT8.
Old 5/11/07, 03:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Did they do the EPCOT test drive last year? I think I did it two years ago, but never got anything about the test drive last year. I didn't know how to drive a stick the first time I got to drive the Vette, but I really wanted to go back and beat the crap out of a stick Vette.
Old 5/11/07, 04:03 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by kh765
Did they do the EPCOT test drive last year? I think I did it two years ago, but never got anything about the test drive last year. I didn't know how to drive a stick the first time I got to drive the Vette, but I really wanted to go back and beat the crap out of a stick Vette.
Yes, two years ago I got into trouble for peeling out in an SSR. Last year, Mike got into trouble for spinning a Solstice. I think we both almost spun the Vette's, but you try to do that around the hairpin corner. Actually, last year I think I almost spun the Cadillac.
Old 5/11/07, 05:24 PM

I think we both almost spun the Vette's, but you try to do that around the hairpin corner. Actually, last year I think I almost spun the Cadillac.
All that spinning in the demo cars and you can't seem to get a decent video of yourself doing some 'spirited' driving in the GT?

edit: Almost forgot, congrats on the 3k post!
Old 5/11/07, 06:32 PM
GTR Member

All that spinning in the demo cars and you can't seem to get a decent video of yourself doing some 'spirited' driving in the GT?

edit: Almost forgot, congrats on the 3k post!
These are out-of-control spins... not donuts.

And... Thanks!
Old 5/11/07, 07:25 PM

These are out-of-control spins... not donuts.

If Leo stops by tomorrow, I'll take him for a spin so he can experience the 4.10's in person. coming from his 3.31's, I think his !!!!!
Old 5/11/07, 09:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

I get sick for a couple days and I'm almost 4 pages behind....

So Bill, how are they ? Have you put them through the recommended heat cycles yet or are you still doing that ?
Old 5/11/07, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by habu
I get sick for a couple days and I'm almost 4 pages behind....

So Bill, how are they ? Have you put them through the recommended heat cycles yet or are you still doing that ?
Didn't know you were sick. Hope ya doin' better!

Yes, I believe they're broken in now. I went thru 3 heat cycles and kept it mellow for 15+ miles. I gave it a quick test from a roll in 1st, hammered it to about 80% with the TC on and it took off like at bat from hell and layed down some rubber on the 1-2 shift.. that's not a 'chirp', it was more like a 'no traction' sound. All that with the pedal not floored. Can you imagine that?
Old 5/11/07, 11:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Didn't know you were sick. Hope ya doin' better!

Yes, I believe they're broken in now. I went thru 3 heat cycles and kept it mellow for 15+ miles. I gave it a quick test from a roll in 1st, hammered it to about 80% with the TC on and it took off like at bat from hell and layed down some rubber on the 1-2 shift.. that's not a 'chirp', it was more like a 'no traction' sound. All that with the pedal not floored. Can you imagine that?
Sick as a dog. Man it sucks Felt it coming on Sunday and sudafed, robitussin, cold-eeze, echineacha nothing stopped it. argh. I'm starting to feel human again finally.

Got the DVD. Many Thanks !!!! We gotta do that again sometime !

Sounds like you're happy w/the gears. I gotta see em perform. If I go ahead and do gears it'll be 3.73s at best. I will go FI at some point in my pony's life and 4.10s would be waaay too much.
Old 5/11/07, 11:38 PM

Sick as a dog. Man it sucks Felt it coming on Sunday and sudafed, robitussin, cold-eeze, echineacha nothing stopped it. argh. I'm starting to feel human again finally.
Sometimes, the flu just has to run it's course, nothing you can do but to ride it out. Sorta like Daryl with the tornadoes and Tom with the hurricanes.

Got the DVD. Many Thanks !!!! We gotta do that again sometime !
So was I right? Looks alot better when played on the DVD player?

I'm thinking of doing a quick shoot tomorrow of how quick the r's come up when launched from a stop.
It'll poorly demonstrate how it is to drive with the 4.10's. I say 'poorly' because nothing will compare to actually riding in it.

Sounds like you're happy w/the gears. I gotta see em perform. If I go ahead and do gears it'll be 3.73s at best. I will go FI at some point in my pony's life and 4.10s would be waaay too much.
That's what some say.. 4.10's being too tall for FI cars. However, 2 people come to mind that will debate that tribal knowledge; Tom281 and Don_W.
Old 5/12/07, 07:07 AM
Cobra Member

Sorta like Daryl with the tornadoes and Tom with the hurricanes.
And Bill with earthquakes!
Old 5/12/07, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by pville piper
And Bill with earthquakes!
Hey! Don't jinx us SoCal guys! It's been at least 5 years since a good size shake.
Old 5/12/07, 10:55 AM
GTR Member

Glad you like the gears, Bill!

Here's what I've been doing today. I backed the car into the garage at 9:30am, and here's how it looked at 11:30am:

Attachment 25933

I broke down and bought that hoist. Only $149 for a 2 ton.

The clutch definitely was slipping, with no signs of oil:

Attachment 25934

I was afraid oil or transmission fluid was getting to the clutch somehow making it slip, but it was just pure power.

Which makes much more sense now. The dyno hit about 358 Torque at the flywheel on the first set of dyno runs... and 351 Torque at the flywheel on the second dyno run. 350 was the max torque for that ZOOM clutch kit. When it hits it limit, something is going to give - in this case, the clutch. The clutch I'm ordering is good to 520 ft-lbs of torque at the flywheel. The transmission will fall apart before then!
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn5614.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-dscn5616.jpg  
Old 5/12/07, 11:19 AM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Heh!

I wuz somehow UNSUBSCRIBED from this thread.

Looks like I have a lot of homework here...hope there ain`t any tests.
Old 5/12/07, 01:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey don't jinx us man, it's been "earthquake weather" all week

what does being subscribed to a thread do ?? I know I've subsribed to a couple but it really hasn't benefitted me in any way that I can tell.

Welp, I'm off to work on my pony. Magnaflows are coming off and the Stingers are going back on. Dad gives me a hard time about it all. It's only the fourth time I've messed with the exhaust. Good thing is someone local is buying the Magnaflows so I can get my SSE Ducktail !!
Old 5/12/07, 01:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Glad you like the gears, Bill!

Here's what I've been doing today. I backed the car into the garage at 9:30am, and here's how it looked at 11:30am:

Attachment 25933

I broke down and bought that hoist. Only $149 for a 2 ton.

The clutch definitely was slipping, with no signs of oil:

Attachment 25934

I was afraid oil or transmission fluid was getting to the clutch somehow making it slip, but it was just pure power.

Which makes much more sense now. The dyno hit about 358 Torque at the flywheel on the first set of dyno runs... and 351 Torque at the flywheel on the second dyno run. 350 was the max torque for that ZOOM clutch kit. When it hits it limit, something is going to give - in this case, the clutch. The clutch I'm ordering is good to 520 ft-lbs of torque at the flywheel. The transmission will fall apart before then!
it sounds like you're getting into the area where you might start chasing the drivetrain's weak link. After enough power there is always one somewhere. How are the u-joints & driveshaft ?? It's a bummer when you start busting those with frequency.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)