General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/07, 07:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Well, I have nothing interesting to say on this auspicious occasion for my 4000th post, but !!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW- I wouldn't have posted my 4k post anywhere else except in Ponies on the Run baby!

Yes, Tom... I had to get the wording perfect.
Congrats Bill. Looks like Tom and I will be hitting the 3,000 mark within a few days.
Old 5/3/07, 08:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks guys.

Only 4.10 days until the 4.10's go in! I'm getting pretty excited!

I've decided to hang out in the shop during the whole install. I'll try and sneak some pics in whenever they let me. Swanson said that he'd prefer customers not get under the car while under the lift (and get in the way).

Whenever they take a break, I'll see if he'll let me pop under there for a quick pic or two.

I know they'll do a good job, but by me being there, hopefully they'll do an extra good job. Besides, I want to be present for the first test drive.. just to keep their temptation at bay.
Old 5/3/07, 09:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
meh, 3000 or 4000 posts. I'll be driving a 2012 Mustang by then....

Just kidding guys. Congrats on having way too much time on your hands

Bill, it's too bad they won't let you do a more detailed 'photoshoot' heck it'd probably get them more So Cal customers. I don't know about anyone else but if it were me, I'd burn-out leaving the shop right after the gears are put in. Literally leave a burn out from their drive way to the street. You know... break in the gears right OH yeah, film it while you're at it.
Old 5/3/07, 09:53 AM
GTR Member

Wow Tom.How much dust is in the interior?? I'm too **** to do that..somrtimes I put up the top w/engine off but rarely..Sorry to bother you but when measuring from center of wheel well to top of rim ,did you use a cloth tape measure??
Thanks for all who gave me the encouraging words about panhard bar..i was jonesing bad yesterday.When I get my 255/45 hopefully there won't be much of a difference..But thats down the road aways
Also thanks to Bill for the camber bolts. I do not race or drive very hard so they should be just fine
Old 5/3/07, 09:59 AM
Bullitt Member

And, when the car is lowered, the axle shifts, not the body
Theoretically yes, but I'm sorry, I'ts hard to see the axle shift when it's planted firmly on the ground while adjusting the panhard bar and you see the body moving.

If a 200 lb. man was sitting in a chair, I guess I would be the one that would say the chair is pushing up on the mans a** with a 200lb. force. Would I be wrong?
Old 5/3/07, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by habu
Bill, it's too bad they won't let you do a more detailed 'photoshoot' heck it'd probably get them more So Cal customers. I don't know about anyone else but if it were me, I'd burn-out leaving the shop right after the gears are put in...
I wish I could document the whole install process, but I see where they're coming from. Last thing they need is someone (me) looking over their shoulder with a camera snapping away with the flash at every turn of the wrench!
I'll do me best to get as many pics as I can though.

From what Swanson told me, after the gears are in, they run it up on the lift in forward and reverse gears for a short while. Then, take it out on a test drive. Final acceptance is having the customer take it out for a spin. He said that if the gears were to whine/groan, it'll do so almost immediately.

As far as break in is concerned, I'll go easy for a hundred miles or two, then it'll be back in my proving grounds shooting more Easter videos!

Originally Posted by Boltzman
..Sorry to bother you but when measuring from center of wheel well to top of rim ,did you use a cloth tape measure??
This is my method, Chuck..
1. Tie something heavy on one end of the string (like a small socket).
2. Suspend the string at the 12 o'clock position of the wheel well fender lip adjusting as necessary to center the string to the wheel's center cap.
3. Measure the distance from the string to the center cap.
4. Repeat on opposite side.

Originally Posted by matko
And, when the car is lowered, the axle shifts, not the body
Theoretically yes, but I'm sorry, I'ts hard to see the axle shift when it's planted firmly on the ground while adjusting the panhard bar and you see the body moving.
Doesn't the panhard bar get adjusted when the tires are off the ground?
Old 5/3/07, 10:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

As far as break in is concerned, I'll go easy for a hundred miles or two, then it'll be back in my proving grounds shooting more Easter videos!
100-200 miles for break in???? That could take 6+ months in your case.
Old 5/3/07, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
100-200 miles for break in???? That could take 6+ months in your case.
I knew one wise guy would comment on that, but from Leo? I'm shocked!
Old 5/3/07, 10:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I knew one wise guy would comment on that, but from Leo? I'm shocked!
I gotta bust your B's sometime.

Looks like we won't be seeing any new vids till atleast the end of summer or early fall. (Only because he has to drive to a handful of carshows in that time frame.)
Old 5/3/07, 10:59 AM

I gotta bust your B's sometime.

Looks like we won't be seeing any new vids till atleast the end of summer or early fall. (Only because he has to drive to a handful of carshows in that time frame.)
I got your B's right here, buddy!

Carshow or not, I'm always game for shooting new videos!

In fact... Leo? Saturday? My test track? Donuts??
Old 5/3/07, 11:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

My CDC chin spoiler.....

The more I look at the painted to match spoilers the more I think I should do it. My reasoning is that it looks more OEM and call me crazy but more agressive as well. After having the chin spoiler for 6+ months now I've seen that I can avoid scratching it unless you count the underside which you can't see anyways.

My front bumper is showing signs of the 15,000+miles (mostly pitting from bugs and rocks) but even then it's not that bad and only noticeable to me when I'm washing or waxing. Which makes me think that even if the chin spoiler starts to suffer the same fate it won't be so bad. My only concern now is with chipping or flaking that I've seen on body kit's and other painted chin spoilers at car shows. Although I think the cause is bad paint jobs, a combo of the car being extremely lowered and having a very low hanging front facia/spoiler, or complete carelessness.So I With that said what do you guys think? Should I or shouldn't I? I'll look for some pics of black stangs with painted chins and post them shortly.
Old 5/3/07, 11:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I got your B's right here, buddy!

Carshow or not, I'm always game for shooting new videos!

In fact... Leo? Saturday? My test track? Donuts??
Sure why not. It'll be my first time abusing the car in that fashion. I'll try and do more than one or two 360's though. (Sorry Bill it's your day today)
Old 5/3/07, 11:38 AM

Sure why not. It'll be my first time abusing the car in that fashion. I'll try and do more than one or two 360's though. (Sorry Bill it's your day today)
It's not abuse, it's called, 'stretching it's legs out'! If our Mustang's can't handle that, it doesn't deserve to wear the Pony badge.

Just please don't loose control and curb it.

I like the painted spoiler look. Although the matte black looks good on yours as well. Just personal preference.

Here's one that's painted..
Old 5/3/07, 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Eiither way, it's just a lot easier with the car at rest in driving position.
Why jack it if you don't have to?
Old 5/3/07, 11:55 AM
Bullitt Member

quick poll

Which of these and only these 3 cars would you like best?
Shelby GT
Nismo 350Z
Charger SRT-8
Old 5/3/07, 12:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Shelby GT
Nismo 350Z
Charger SRT-8
as bad of a rep as it gets, I'd pick the Shelby GT. If anything untouched it'd be worth a whole lot more down the road.
Old 5/3/07, 12:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Can I play along on Saturday...
Old 5/3/07, 12:11 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Wow Tom.How much dust is in the interior?? I'm too **** to do that..somrtimes I put up the top w/engine off but rarely..Sorry to bother you but when measuring from center of wheel well to top of rim ,did you use a cloth tape measure??
I clean it as much as I drive it.

You can use anything as long as it is accurate. You could use a piece of paper and put a mark where the string hits it. Then measure between the two marks if you had to.

If a 200 lb. man was sitting in a chair, I guess I would be the one that would say the chair is pushing up on the mans a** with a 200lb. force. Would I be wrong?
No, you would not be wrong.

Nope, you leave everything as if you are driving it. As you make the adjustment, the body moves. As far as what is actually "shifting", it depends on your point of reference. But, when looking at it from the rear, one would usually say that the axle is shifted either to the right or to the left.
Old 5/3/07, 12:12 PM

Shelby GT
Nismo 350Z
Charger SRT-8
Since I already have a Mustang, I'll pick the 350Z as daily beater.

Originally Posted by habu
Can I play along on Saturday...
Absolutely! I'll make a killer video for you guys!
Old 5/3/07, 12:13 PM
GTR Member

Shelby GT
Nismo 350Z
Charger SRT-8
CHARGER!

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)